List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:

Some positive news at least: Hough and Jamieson extended through to 2025.

Bit surprised Jamo got that long though.
I'm not surprised about Jamo. I think by the end of 2025 he may well be a top 4 ruck in the comp. Not a commonly held belief, around here I'm aware, but there is something about him and I think he will explode once he has a few years in the system.

It’s Colin Young with the forked tongue but a promising indication that a new contract for Gov should be more of a formality than the last one

Jamo is improving rapidly, has put on size and muscle, and kept his athleticism. Another similar year of development, and he will be a very good player. He is showing a lot and I am stoked for him. A good proactive extension by the club. 👍
Agreed, While his rucking needs work, I thoroughly enjoy his follow up efforts

While properly warmed up to Jamo last year, I did see glimpses of his potential in 2021. He has great follow of work but is quite physically in using his body but for a while lacked the size to do so. I think he’s now on the verge of doing so against men.

I'm not surprised about Jamo. I think by the end of 2025 he may well be a top 4 ruck in the comp. Not a commonly held belief, around here I'm aware, but there is something about him and I think he will explode once he has a few years in the system.
If he can't make it in the ruck then he looks like he could become a solid defender.

Not sure about that contract extension for Jamieson. Presumably they want to give him confidence going forward and the knowledge he’s being backed long term, but I feel we should have waited for some more on-field evidence first before committing.

I understand that Culley and his management would want to wait until he is getting consistent game time to bump up his contract, but gee, I hope we can lock away Culley to a contract relatively early in the season. I imagine there would be significant interest from over east.

Also, let’s extend King Rubes’ contract asap.

1678920760576.gif

Not sure about that contract extension for Jamieson. Presumably they want to give him confidence going forward and the knowledge he’s being backed long term, but I feel we should have waited for some more on-field evidence first before committing.

I think (not claiming any inside knowledge) that he has probably been extended on average or slightly below average wage.

If he comes on as the club expects, that will look great value in 2024/2025.

I don't believe Culley has shown us enough to be stating terms of contracts, if that is true.
He needs to give us a solid season displaying his wares before negotiations begin.

I think (not claiming any inside knowledge) that he has probably been extended on average or slightly below average wage.

If he comes on as the club expects, that will look great value in 2024/2025.
Exactly. Delaying it until there is more evidence also drives the price up higher.
The club has seen enough to add 2 years at what is probably a fairly low wage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since coming on board as Senior Coach, Simmo has stated his and the club's aim is to qualify for finals as quickly as possible.

Most people I assume would take this statement as the season. Reworded - during 2023, we aim to qualify for finals as soon as possible.

Everything I have seen from Simmo backs up that he takes a new approach at this at the start of every season. I think this at times blinkers his judgement with the classic "Credits in the bank" over powering "development of the youth" and his "get his stars up to fitness in the seniors and refuse to play them at WAFL."

Having finished 2022 effectively tying with one of the worst teams in the modern era, is it time for a fresh goal?

What about if the club were to have a new goal - "Qualify for a preliminary final as soon as possible"?

This would take away a short term annual/season focus but a longer term perspective.

I use the prelim as a realistic target. If I was chairman or CEO, I would be aiming for a pass mark of making the prelim on average every 2nd year. My other target would be at least 1 flag every decade.

If this was the case, I expect not even Simmo or Nesbitt would say they expect us to make a prelim in 2023. Would they then take a different approach?

What kids need testing?
How do we develop the young talent?
What position makes best sense for some of our veterans (ie Gov to CHF)?
What length of contract do we give Gov to go past 2023?
What FA's do we look to attract in the next 3 years?
etc

The club is 2 drafts into a much needed rebuild. We need at least another good haul in 2023 and we have a good hand as it stands.

As it stands now, and it could all change during the season, I expect we will not be realistically ready for a tilt at a Prelim until 2025 if it goes perfectly or 2026 more likely. Simmo - if you manage to pull a rabbit our of the hat and get us in 8th position and then fail to get to a prelim, then this year is not a tick and no bonuses to be paid.

Perhaps 2019 would have had greater consequences by saying we failed as a club in mot making the Prelim. Did the coaches and players tick off 2019 as a big success since we made finals very early?

Something good about being on the bottom - you get to see how far away we are from seriously competing.

Since coming on board as Senior Coach, Simmo has stated his and the club's aim is to qualify for finals as quickly as possible.

Most people I assume would take this statement as the season. Reworded - during 2023, we aim to qualify for finals as soon as possible.

Everything I have seen from Simmo backs up that he takes a new approach at this at the start of every season. I think this at times blinkers his judgement with the classic "Credits in the bank" over powering "development of the youth" and his "get his stars up to fitness in the seniors and refuse to play them at WAFL."

Having finished 2022 effectively tying with one of the worst teams in the modern era, is it time for a fresh goal?

What about if the club were to have a new goal - "Qualify for a preliminary final as soon as possible"?

This would take away a short term annual/season focus but a longer term perspective.

I use the prelim as a realistic target. If I was chairman or CEO, I would be aiming for a pass mark of making the prelim on average every 2nd year. My other target would be at least 1 flag every decade.

If this was the case, I expect not even Simmo or Nesbitt would say they expect us to make a prelim in 2023. Would they then take a different approach?

What kids need testing?
How do we develop the young talent?
What position makes best sense for some of our veterans (ie Gov to CHF)?
What length of contract do we give Gov to go past 2023?
What FA's do we look to attract in the next 3 years?
etc

The club is 2 drafts into a much needed rebuild. We need at least another good haul in 2023 and we have a good hand as it stands.

As it stands now, and it could all change during the season, I expect we will not be realistically ready for a tilt at a Prelim until 2025 if it goes perfectly or 2026 more likely. Simmo - if you manage to pull a rabbit our of the hat and get us in 8th position and then fail to get to a prelim, then this year is not a tick and no bonuses to be paid.

Perhaps 2019 would have had greater consequences by saying we failed as a club in mot making the Prelim. Did the coaches and players tick off 2019 as a big success since we made finals very early?

Something good about being on the bottom - you get to see how far away we are from seriously competing.

Personally even if we absolutely nail the next 2 drafts, develop as rapidly as possible and bring in 2 higher tier free agents I still don't see us being in any position to make a prelim before 2026.

Reckon people said the same in 2010. You kents know what happened next.
Except it’s not 2010 or 2018 even though many like to look back with glee and say you Kent’s remember this …..it will be what it will be it’s 2023.

The better decisions the clubs makes at the draft table and trade table will go along way to how fast we bounce but more importantly when our next actual opportunity to win a flag is.

Without freaking out too much until we hear more but if Culley did decide to go home at the end of the year and is/will be out of contract do we stand to get anything for him?

He can obviously just walk to the draft however he then wouldn't have a guarantee that he gets to a Vic club. Can we coordinate a trade be it picks or players for the right to him/him getting to go where he wants?

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Without freaking out too much until we hear more but if Culley did decide to go home at the end of the year and is/will be out of contract do we stand to get anything for him?

He can obviously just walk to the draft however he then wouldn't have a guarantee that he gets to a Vic club. Can we coordinate a trade be it picks or players for the right to him/him getting to go where he wants?

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think Culley would get a contract at other clubs but the money and contract terms would be similar wherever he went and would be on the low side. he is as yet unproven.

What he probably wants is opportunity/game time. But if Culley can't get a regular game at our club this season with our midfield being as thin as it is then what club would he get a game at? I think it would be in his best interest to stay at WCE. If i was him, and even if i had reasons to prefer being in Victoria, i would wait until i was a clear best 22 player at West Coast before thinking of asking for a trade anywhere else.

Except it’s not 2010 or 2018 even though many like to look back with glee and say you Kent’s remember this …..it will be what it will be it’s 2023.

The better decisions the clubs makes at the draft table and trade table will go along way to how fast we bounce but more importantly when our next actual opportunity to win a flag is.
Listen up kent.

Don’t harsh my buzz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back