List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
So Culleys being delisted or walking because he's not named in the 1st game of the season for a reason non of us know?
Oh, and we already know what he'll get from another club!
🦵🤜
I don't see anybody talking about him being delisted. Please point out the posts where anybody suggested this. Or admit you are making up straw man arguments.

What has been noted is that he and his manager don't want to discuss a contract extension with the club until later in the season. If the club is willing to discuss a contract extension but the player isn't this means that either the player is not 100% sure he wants to stay at the club (usually due to lack of opportunity) or it means that they think their bargaining position to get a better contract will possibly be greater later in the year if they play well. Or both. Delaying contract negotiations entails risk for a player. They could do their ACL next week and the contract offer gets taken off the table. Players and their management teams don't delay or refuse contract extension negotiations for no reason.

And yes, considering he has played 4 games of senior footy, he is likely to be on the same kind of money draftees are on no matter where he goes. Or do you think a bidding war is likely to erupt over a 4 game player and somebody will offer him 600k a year on a 5 year deal?

I don't see anybody talking about him being delisted. Please point out the posts where anybody suggested this. Or admit you are making up straw man arguments.

What has been noted is that he and his manager don't want to discuss a contract extension with the club until later in the season. If the club is willing to discuss a contract extension but the player isn't this means that either the player is not 100% sure he wants to stay at the club (usually due to lack of opportunity) or it means that they think their bargaining position to get a better contract will possibly be greater later in the year if they play well. Or both. Delaying contract negotiations entails risk for a player. They could do their ACL next week and the contract offer gets taken off the table. Players and their management teams don't delay or refuse contract extension negotiations for no reason.

And yes, considering he has played 4 games of senior footy, he is likely to be on the same kind of money draftees are on no matter where he goes. Or do you think a bidding war is likely to erupt over a 4 game player and somebody will offer him 600k a year on a 5 year deal?

You are indeed correct that nobody has called for Culley to be delisted

Now as for he or his manager not wanting to start contract negotiations, well that is also BS. It only came up in a joke post (see below) and hasn’t been raised anywhere else

All we know is that his contract expires this year and there’s been no credible post regarding what, if any, contract negotiations have been commenced

My sources tell me that Culley and the club have had a falling out.
Club wanted to start talks about a contract extension, Culley's management hinted he's heading back to Vic at end of season unless Eagles can come up with a $1m pa 7 year deal.

Unfortunately, Gov has already called dibs on any spare salary cap space for his brother as they really want to play together, so Eagles have no room to move on their initial offer.

You are indeed correct that nobody has called for Culley to be delisted

Now as for he or his manager not wanting to start contract negotiations, well that is also BS. It only came up in a joke post (see below) and hasn’t been raised anywhere else

All we know is that his contract expires this year and there’s been no credible post regarding what, if any, contract negotiations have been commenced

To be clear, I have no sources.

Once upon a time I worked for an organisation very closely involved with the AFLPA, and even then it was like getting blood out of stone. These mofos don't talk!

Can you please send all your posts to Dumpster in draft form before posting. There's no point having a paralegal on board if we ain't gonna use him.

Well the club is stupid… Jamieson will be an upgrade on Williams but a 6ft wooden plank would cover that job
A healthy big body atm , he is putting in 2nd efforts , great attitude ,can /will still improve as he gets harder older wiser . Has been building for this role . Now has the time to deliver on the investment

Personally even if we absolutely nail the next 2 drafts, develop as rapidly as possible and bring in 2 higher tier free agents I still don't see us being in any position to make a prelim before 2026.
Having seen Sydney and Collingwood jump up earlier than many expected, the door might just start to open up in 2025. Unlikely but possible.

We would need a few of the big guys like the 2 Williams, Jamieson and HEdwards to really step up. It would also need our young mids to take the world on and win.

That was the point of my post. I would be fine with us winning very few games this year IF
1. The game plan looked like it was working and was becoming embedded in both AFL and WAFL teams
2. We get games into the youngsters and selection is merited
3. Our percentage was 90%
4. 4 to 6 of our lads look like they deserve a rising star nomination

Pick up another haul at this year's draft and we are rising up fast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone check whether rookie listed players can just walk when out of contract.

I’m not sure if they have the same free agency rules as primary listed players.

I'm not surprised about Jamo. I think by the end of 2025 he may well be a top 4 ruck in the comp. Not a commonly held belief, around here I'm aware, but there is something about him and I think he will explode once he has a few years in the system.
Is 5 years enough "time in the system"?

Can someone check whether rookie listed players can just walk when out of contract.

I’m not sure if they have the same free agency rules as primary listed players.

There’s some rule about them being able to walk to a club offering them a senior list spot if their current club will only give them a rookie list spot. I think they have to have done two years on the rookie list, not sure.

Also, if they’re on the rookie list because they got delisted and re-rookied, they get lifetime unrestricted free agency status for some reason. I think Mabior Chol might have used that to get to Gold Coast.

Otherwise they’re in the same boat as other uncontracted players - they can re-sign, be traded or go into the draft.

Also, if they’re on the rookie list because they got delisted and re-rookied, they get lifetime unrestricted free agency status for some reason. I think Mabior Chol might have used that to get to Gold Coast.
Correct - Dylan Moore at Hawthorn is an unrestricted free agent for life as well.

Correct - Dylan Moore at Hawthorn is an unrestricted free agent for life as well.

I think Jamaine Jones would be since Geelong delisted him. Trew and Winder will be, probably others I’m forgetting.

Found this list which includes the latter two, doesn’t include Jones but that’s presumably because he’s contracted through to 2024.

D8806463-01E1-41E7-9210-EEC9BF44B8FA.jpeg

So Culley as an out of contract rookie at the end of the year would need a trade or walk to the draft (national or pre-season).

I sense that as rubbish - the guy is loving it in Perth and will be fringe AFL and WAFL until he hits his straps
Ok for everyone who ignored my previous comment.

Copied and pasted directly from the AFLPA website*.
A 2nd year Rookie not accepting a further Rookie
contract will be considered a Delisted Free Agent,
and therefore will be an Unrestricted Free Agent.

If Culley wants, he can walk to the club of his choice at the end of the season.

*There's even a nice little flow chart that shows everything.

Copied and pasted directly from the AFLPA website*.

If Culley wants, he can walk to the club of his choice at the end of the season.

I think we can avoid that by offering him a senior list contract. It only applies if he’s rejecting a third year on the rookie list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back