List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:

Gov to sign a two year deal after his massive contract ends this year. End of 2025.

Gov to sign a two year deal after his massive contract ends this year. End of 2025.
Let’s hope it is more aligned to his output in the last 3 years and not the $1mln he is reportedly now getting

Let’s hope it is more aligned to his output in the last 3 years and not the $1mln he is reportedly now getting

I recall he took pay cuts over covid (everyone did yes) and maybe helped with shuffling cash around this year into the next deal?

Shouldnt be near a million a year but dont be surprised at $850k.

Yeah, you know, you're right. * him. 2 years as a scrawny 2m tall teenager in a professional sporting environment is enough. If he isnt dominating Gawn by now, piss him off and let's try again.
What I mean as a pro athlete he should be better than majority of the WAFL ruckmen even if he's not up to AFL level yet. And he honestly wouldn't get a game at any of the state league clubs in the country(VIC/WA/SA).
By age 22 that's been 7 years in an elite sporting environment and the time where results just have to start coming. Is all potential but no performance right now. He's athletic yes, but is smaller than other rucks going around. To be AFL relevant like that he has to be elite with his endurance/defensive running and also at stoppages & ground ball work.

For a bad comparison at the same time in their careers:
Naitanui 77 games
Gardiner 77 games
Cox 55 games
------
Hickey 24 games
Lycett 22 games
Vardy 20 games
------
Jamieson 9 games
Giles 0 games

Now footy isn't an exact science and hopefully he can perform this year but I just don't see it happening with a guy who projects to be worse than our backup rucks. I don't mind locking in that backup for a few seasons especially if we think for whatever reason he has been hampered with his development. I'd just be on the lookout for a true no.1 (Barnett😍😍)

What I mean as a pro athlete he should be better than majority of the WAFL ruckmen even if he's not up to AFL level yet. And he honestly wouldn't get a game at any of the state league clubs in the country(VIC/WA/SA).
By age 22 that's been 7 years in an elite sporting environment and the time where results just have to start coming. Is all potential but no performance right now. He's athletic yes, but is smaller than other rucks going around. To be AFL relevant like that he has to be elite with his endurance/defensive running and also at stoppages & ground ball work.

Naitanui 77 games
Gardiner 77 games
Cox 55 games
------
Hickey 24 games
Lycett 22 games
Vardy 20 games
------
Jamieson 9 games
Giles 0 games

Now footy isn't an exact science and hopefully he can perform this year but I just don't see it happening with a guy who projects to be worse than our backup rucks. I don't mind locking in that backup for a few seasons especially if we think for whatever reason he has been hampered with his development. I'd just be on the lookout for a true no.1 (Barnett😍😍)

Either your maths are out, or he has been in a professional environment since he was fifteen. I think not.

Either your maths are out, or he has been in a professional environment since he was fifteen. I think not.
Im counting an elite sports environment as WAFL development squads, state/rep teams and of course AFL.
Didn't get drafted at 18 so there may be a bit of lag there but the point still stands.

Im counting an elite sports environment as WAFL development squads, state/rep teams and of course AFL.
Didn't get drafted at 18 so there may be a bit of lag there but the point still stands.

WAFL development squads as an elite sporting environment is a stretch.

WAFL development squads as an elite sporting environment is a stretch.
Very big stretch having Witnessed south freos recently with a family member

Naitanui 77 games
Gardiner 77 games
Cox 55 games
------
Hickey 24 games
Lycett 22 games
Vardy 20 games
------
Jamieson 9 games
Giles 0 games

At the same point in their careers?Dunno how Naitanui and Gardiner can have played 77 games after three seasons.

For a slightly better comparison, after three seasons in the AFL

Naitanui 55 games
Jackson 52
McInerney 47
Grundy 41
Marshall 33
English 29
Witts 27
Darcy 26
Hickey 24
De Koning 22
Goldstein 16
Nankervis 12
Lycett 10
Stanley 9
Jamieson 9
Xerri 4
Gawn 4
O’Brien 2
Cameron 1
Draper 0
Flynn 0
Meek 0

That’s all the current number 1 rucks in the league, plus Goldstein (apparently not number 1 any more), Grundy and Jackson.

The guys who played 40+ were all first round picks other than Big O, who was drafted at 22.

There’s plenty of quality rucks in that list who’d played half a dozen games or less at the same point.

At the same point in their careers?Dunno how Naitanui and Gardiner can have played 77 games after three seasons.

Naitanui 55 games
Jackson 52
McInerney 47
Grundy 41
Marshall 33
English 29
Witts 27
Darcy 26
Hickey 24
De Koning 22
Goldstein 16
Nankervis 12
Lycett 10
Stanley 9
Jamieson 9
Xerri 4
Gawn 4
O’Brien 2
Cameron 1
Draper 0
Flynn 0
Meek 0

That’s all the current number 1 rucks in the league, plus Goldstein (apparently not number 1 any more), Grundy and Jackson.

The guys who played 40+ were all first round picks other than Big O, who was drafted at 22.

There’s plenty of quality rucks in that list who’d played half a dozen games or less at the same point.
4x seasons and the draft age was a year earlier so that may skew results too. But the point is Jamo is tracking to be barely more than a bit part player in the rebuild.
Who does he get better than and play 100 games at that level?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really don’t get our strategy, guys like Hough and Bazzo will miss out on selection this year because we’re going to pump games into Shannon Hurn (who I absolutely love but come on, there’s zero benefit to him playing anymore) and Alex Witherden who is never going to amount to anything

We’ve given Nic a TWO year deal when he can’t stay fit and had a horrific season last year, again our ruck stocks re terrible so I completely get retaining him, but he should not have gotten anything more than a 1 year extension

Now we’re going to give Gov, who again can not stay fit at all a 2 year extension, so once again guys like Bazzo and H.Edwards are going to miss out on games

I know we need experience on the list still but even without a couple of the senior guys I mentioned, we’d still have A LOT of experience

I’m just struggling to see what our strategy is and why we’re so desperate to retain washed senior guys who can’t stay fit and are taking games away from others

I really don’t get our strategy, guys like Hough and Bazzo will miss out on selection this year because we’re going to pump games into Shannon Hurn (who I absolutely love but come on, there’s zero benefit to him playing anymore) and Alex Witherden who is never going to amount to anything

We’ve given Nic a TWO year deal when he can’t stay fit and had a horrific season last year, again our ruck stocks re terrible so I completely get retaining him, but he should not have gotten anything more than a 1 year extension

Now we’re going to give Gov, who again can not stay fit at all a 2 year extension, so once again guys like Bazzo and H.Edwards are going to miss out on games

I know we need experience on the list still but even without a couple of the senior guys I mentioned, we’d still have A LOT of experience

I’m just struggling to see what our strategy is and why we’re so desperate to retain washed senior guys who can’t stay fit and are taking games away from others
It's round 1 and we've got 3 debutantes, I'm sure all the young guys will get plenty of opportunity across the year. We'll have a stronger WAFL squad which'll help the guys who aren't ready to consistently put together a whole game.

We have some senior players who are respected industry-wide and that's great for development. They won't play in the seniors every week. But draft-wise, I can't currently see any obvious late picks we would've missed out on by still having these blokes on the list either.

This rebuild isn't going to be over quickly and if you're impatient already it's gunna feel even longer. Just enjoy the ride with the young blokes we currently have developing!

Dude, under age footy teams aren’t élite environments. They do the best they can, but they’re not even close, unless you’re based at the AIS in Canberra in one of their development programmes.

Naitanui 55 games
Jackson 52
McInerney 47
Grundy 41
Marshall 33
English 29
Witts 27
Darcy 26
Hickey 24
De Koning 22
Goldstein 16
Nankervis 12
Lycett 10
Stanley 9
Jamieson 9
Xerri 4
Gawn 4
O’Brien 2
Cameron 1
Draper 0
Flynn 0
Meek 0

lol at using McInerney. We drafted him as a mature ager at 21 or 22. Spent his first season in QAFL, then played second ruck/forward with Steph Martin for 3 seasons.

Jamo doesn't necessarily have to become an elite ruck. He can be a pinch hitter while playing in another position. Rory Lobb for instance.

Jamieson has been at the club for 3 years after arriving as a pretty raw, pretty skinny ruck project who clearly was going to take time to develop - physically and ability wise

His first year was 2020 where he might have played half a dozen or so scrimmages sometimes in like 12 a side run arounds as there was no WAFL side due to covid

This was also his first uninterrupted preseason as his others were compromised due to injury

It shouldn’t be a surprise he hasn’t show too much just yet

Jamieson is 2 years away from being a starting Ruck. He has the ruck instinct, play reading instinct, overhead ability, around ground ability and physical nature to take the hits to make it.

He came in, incredibly raw and in reality if not for our massive injury spike wouldn't have played a game yet. He was always a 3 year project before playing and 5 years before being physically ready for a full time ruck position.

Now his massive advantage is his ability around the ground and also to play as a key back if we do have a true number 1 ruck ready to take the load.

The combined ability of Barnett and Jamieson will allow us to play 2 ruckmen both who can play multiple roles and who's biggest strengths are getting up the field, being able to link the chain, (have decent or in barnetts case very very good disposal) and be genuinely able to play multiple positions.

If Harry Edwards comes on we are only 1 star key forward away from having our spine sorted.

Now between half back and half forward I think we still need 10 afl level prospects to be added to the list with at least 3 making it as genuine top tier players and 1 franchise level player needs to emerge.

Id say that Wafl development squads are a step up from any park level footy. You just gotta hope you are in a good zone.

I dont see Jamo as being capable of playing any other positions though. Key fwd? Maybe he gets a match up advantage at time as a resting ruck but will never make it there alone.
Key def? Is a worse version of Edwards who is just a stopper anyway and is borderline best 22 anyway.

At what point do we call time? Develop a player for 8 years to get 5 years of service at a reasonable (low) level. Seems a bad return on investment.

B Williams is the same age and is coming along fine (warts and all) and he projects to be the bare minimum for what you want in your best 22. (Goal a game, 15 hit outs as a 2nd ruck, will make you pull your hair out at times then take a hanger)

lol at using McInerney. We drafted him as a mature ager at 21 or 22. Spent his first season in QAFL, then played second ruck/forward with Steph Martin for 3 seasons.

As I said, I just used all the current No. 1 rucks, plus a few who would arguably be number 1.

2010-2020 the AFL rucks were all very good. We are currently in a weak era too

Of the guys I listed that played 16 games or less, you’d be pretty happy if Jamieson ended up as good as any of Goldstein, Nankervis, Lycett, Stanley, Gawn, O’Brien, Cameron or Draper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back