List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
Except he plays the same position as 3 blokes already on the list in B Williams, J Williams and C Jamieson.

Did we really need another, especially when he's not setting the WAFL world on fire either? If he was having a season like Ryan did prior to being drafted, then yes,i it'd be a big 'L' not taking him.

Incredibly unlikely we missed out on much not drafting him and if he does kick on, good for him.

If we did take him, gave him an extra year and then missed out on someone late in the ND, or Rookie draft, then heaps of people will be whinging that we shouldn't have taken Buller and because we missed out on another spud some people on here rate.

Having a scattergun approach to drafting isn't good for the long term. It's unlikely Buller will have a more successful AFL career than the SSP players we had last year, so no point going off the deep end and rubbishing the club for not taking a second, highly speculative, pick in the MSD, like some have on this board.
Yep to all of the above. 👍🏻

I think you are misunderstanding what i'm saying and jumping to conclusions.

I argue with the notion that "we should have just given someone 6 months and see if it works out..." that many are making in this thread. I've already stated my reasons above why I think that is fruitless unless there is a clear plan to test such a player at AFL level.

If the eagles had a long term view (and plans to really test a player) on Buller (or someone else) and felt he was worth an investment with long term potential, then I would be on board with it. But the fact they didn't bother opening a 2nd list spot, when they clearly could have, tells us how we rated these guys internally.

Brining in a player, whilst little risk -- we agree on that much -- does potentially rob others of AFL minutes and coaches time for development. So again, unless Eagles have a clear plan to involve a kid whom has a 6 months contract, its pretty pointless imo.

Syd are in a completely different list position to us. I never said it was an idiotic move to bring a player in, dont put words in my mouth to suit your agenda, it's childish. Our list profile has much different needs and we will need a lot of list space come the off-season to make moves. In regards to Sydney, I wont be be surprised if they prolong his 6 months stay because i'd say its not all that likely he sees much game time for them this year and a player like him needs time. Unless he just clearly doent have it at training and they just cut him off.
You should apply for the Eagles list manager assistant position, would fit right in with the current crop...

The scary thing about the Natanui news is that the muppets running the club will be sitting in HQ still thinking it was a good decision to give him a two year extension last year. Their heads will still be in the sand. It is everybody outside the club criticising them who are the idiots as far as they are concerned. They will be sitting there thinking that all the data points favoured giving him a new deal and the criticism of the club is just people commentating with the benefit of hindsight.

I argue with the notion that "we should have just given someone 6 months and see if it works out..." that many are making in this thread. I've already stated my reasons above why I think that is fruitless unless there is a clear plan to test such a player at AFL level.

If the eagles had a long term view (and plans to really test a player) on Buller (or someone else) and felt he was worth an investment with long term potential, then I would be on board with it. But the fact they didn't bother opening a 2nd list spot, when they clearly could have, tells us how we rated these guys internally.

Brining in a player, whilst little risk -- we agree on that much -- does potentially rob others of AFL minutes and coaches time for development. So again, unless Eagles have a clear plan to involve a kid whom has a 6 months contract, its pretty pointless imo.

Syd are in a completely different list position to us. I never said it was an idiotic move to bring a player in, dont put words in my mouth to suit your agenda, it's childish. Our list profile has much different needs and we will need a lot of list space come the off-season to make moves. In regards to Sydney, I wont be be surprised if they prolong his 6 months stay because i'd say its not all that likely he sees much game time for them this year and a player like him needs time. Unless he just clearly doent have it at training and they just cut him off.

I asked a question are the Swans idiots for selecting Buller?

How is that putting words in your mouth? Its not. And you think Im misinterpreting you!

FFS.

One thing is beyond debate. The Swans are being proactive and are actually attemtping to improve their list short term and long term. And they had no issues at all having a crack at a low percentage option.

Which club looks better run ATM? Who has better list management?

Who is daring to win?

It isnt like we have a list overflowing with talent, we dont. We are so far behind the Swans it isnt funny and they are being more proactive than we are. And they arent idiots. THATS the point. The only point that matters.

And it doesnt matter if its Buller or another project player. We didnt even try. And a week later we put another player on the LTI.

I'm so glad we didn't play games last week and open up another list spot to take a second pick in the MSD.

Wouldn't want any of these picks to turn out ok. GIven they were taken after what would have been our second pick

1. Northern Bullants 200cm forward Brandon Ryan — the cousin of All-Australian Docker Luke Ryan — was taken by Hawthorn at Pick 12. He’s kicked 18.10 from seven VFL matches this season, including 5.2 from 17 disposals and 10 marks against Sydney last month.
  2. Richmond VFL defender James Trezise was upgraded to the Tigers’ AFL list. He had interest from clubs at the pointy end of the draft.
  3. And the Swans used the final pick of the night to select Claremont ruck-forward Jack Buller.
Both Ryan and Buller are key position players that would have been very very helpful if they turn out.

Yep to all of the above. 👍🏻

Was Buller the only option?

We have so many holes in our list I simply cant believe a playerout there wasnt good enough to be given a shot.

The only way it makes sense is if we are getting better bidding right access to our NGA kids and know now we can fill up our rookie list with preferred NGA talent already waiting.

The same mistakes are being made at the club, after the last 2 drafts i thought they had turned the corner. It was obvious to all that we had at least 2 positions available in the mid season draft. Maybe because they are paying way to much for our older players they couldn't afford to pay another player.
Big changes have to to happen at the end of this season, probably about 10 players need to be moved on.

Was Buller the only option?

We have so many holes in our list I simply cant believe a playerout there wasnt good enough to be given a shot.

The only way it makes sense is if we are getting better bidding right access to our NGA kids and know now we can fill up our rookie list with preferred NGA talent already waiting.
Buller is on a 6 month deal so its not that at all

We are just run by cheapskate imbeciles.

So, in other words, Natanui is back to square one. In fact he is in an even worse position than square one because now the injury is so severe that it has been decided to operate on it which they didn't decide to do in the pre season and which would have been the last button they wanted to push because it has the longest recovery timeline. It is the nuclear option you go for when all the other options have failed.

Lets remember an Achilles is a 6 - 12 month injury. 6 months to have it not interfere with your daily life anymore and 12 months for a full recovery. And the clock has just restarted at zero on that 6 - 12 month timeline. That means no meaningful pre season for him even in a best case scenario.

Lets just face reality and tell him to retire and pay him out. The reason why that decision is not being made right now is that the people who made the call to give him that extension want to cover their asses and wait until next year to admit he won't play again so the decision to extend him doesn't look as stupid and bone headed as it was.

Several weeks ago, I said I didn't think Naitanui would play again... I get no joy from this news, but it really doesn't surprise me much. We really should have taken a second swing in the mid season draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Several weeks ago, I said I didn't think Naitanui would play again... I get no joy from this news, but it really doesn't surprise me much. We really should have taken a second swing in the mid season draft.
Reckon they try and get him out there for at least one goodbye game at home in the back half of next year, even if he ends up being subbed off early.

His career has brought me so much joy, but feel it could have been much more if not for the two knee recons that robbed him of what would have been his prime years.

The scary thing about the Natanui news is that the muppets running the club will be sitting in HQ still thinking it was a good decision to give him a two year extension last year. Their heads will still be in the sand. It is everybody outside the club criticising them who are the idiots as far as they are concerned. They will be sitting there thinking that all the data points favoured giving him a new deal and the criticism of the club is just people commentating with the benefit of hindsight.
I actually dont mind the 2 year deal for the great man. However (and I am niot afan of horses of gambling) if I owned a thoroughbread and had it trained by idiots like Nisbet's team with outcoms like Nic I would sure them for incompetance.

Reckon they try and get him out there for at least one goodbye game at home in the back half of next year, even if he ends up being subbed off early.

His career has brought me so much joy, but feel it could have been much more if not for the two knee recons that robbed him of what would have been his prime years.
Agreed, against the pies to bury deGoey?

I asked a question are the Swans idiots for selecting Buller?

How is that putting words in your mouth? Its not. And you think Im misinterpreting you!

FFS.

One thing is beyond debate. The Swans are being proactive and are actually attemtping to improve their list short term and long term. And they had no issues at all having a crack at a low percentage option.

Which club looks better run ATM? Who has better list management?

Who is daring to win?

It isnt like we have a list overflowing with talent, we dont. We are so far behind the Swans it isnt funny and they are being more proactive than we are. And they arent idiots. THATS the point. The only point that matters.

And it doesnt matter if its Buller or another project player. We didnt even try. And a week later we put another player on the LTI.
Correct!

NicNat is a club legend who has done much for the club on the field and off the field as its face. I have no issue with trying to nurse him to a farewell run and given he already has a contract for next year, hope he gets it.

JUNE 2022

But the out-of-contract 32-year-old doesn't want to go anywhere, saying he will happily sign one-year deals at West Coast for the remainder of his career.

"There's no value with older boys," Naitanui quipped when asked about the potential to become trade bait.

"That's something the club will always have over me. They know I'm not going to leave home.

SEPTEMBER 2022

Signed for two years.......

FMD. What a F'N DEBACLE.

Waiting for Stocks to come out with something like “The club showed great foresight in signing NN to a two year contract. It means the club will not have to fight off advances from other clubs wishing to sign him for 2024.”

NicNat is a club legend who has done much for the club on the field and off the field as its face. I have no issue with trying to nurse him to a farewell run and given he already has a contract for next year, hope he gets it.
You get a job at the club as well. Congrats 👏

JUNE 2022

But the out-of-contract 32-year-old doesn't want to go anywhere, saying he will happily sign one-year deals at West Coast for the remainder of his career.

"There's no value with older boys," Naitanui quipped when asked about the potential to become trade bait.

"That's something the club will always have over me. They know I'm not going to leave home.

SEPTEMBER 2022

Signed for two years.......

FMD. What a F'N DEBACLE.
You couldn't make this s**t up

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back