List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
It's well reported that Melb want Ried

Will be bloody interesting what they offer
I have heard Melbourne really want Harley but that Duursma is close as their next big target and that pick 5 likely becoming pick 6 is not going to cut it. Hawks will swoop at their R1 pick just ahead of Dees.

If we took a Norf offer of picks 2 and 3 for 1
  • we deal with Dees with 6 and 14 for 3 and agree to leave pick on Duursma for them
  • we then deal with Dogs for 11 giving them 21, 35, 54 and 59

Go to draft with:
Pick 2 = McKercher
Pick 6 = Curtin (O'Sullivan is fallback which I would prefer anyway)
Pick 11 = Murphy
Pick 14 = best available slider from top 10
Pick 19 = ZZ Man if we do not get O'Sullivan
40 = ???

Last edited:
DEV ALREADY OUR BEST PLAYER again.

Jump Through Window GIFs | Tenor

Just taking Twomey's latest power rankings and excluding the NGA and F/S and moving them all back 1 as the Norf pick 3 compensation feels likely, picks 5 (4), 6 (5) and 16 (15) would get you Curti, Sanders and Archer Reid. Yuk!!!!

Just take Reid under that scenario.

The only worthwhile offer I see is coming from Norf. He offers bums on seats like those tin rattlers need. He offers them class when their club has become a rabble of late.

Any Godfather offer has to get us McKercher PLUS one of O'Sullivan or Murphy PLUS something late teens or future R1.

Some may say I am in la la land but a godfather offer is something that is one sided and something you cannot refuse. Fair or reasonable? I think not.

4, 5 and likely gets McKercher / Curtin possibly both. And 14 gets one of O'Sullivan, Murphy or ZZ.

And push comes to shove we haggle a bit more as well. Say add Dees F1st for our F2nd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phil Davis actually showing he’s got half a clue in our KP list analysis. Very refreshing but shows he’s only very recently out of the game.

Trade next years first and pick 53 with Geelong for pick 7 this year and their 1st rounder next year.
It’s fun making up trades that won’t happen.

Last edited:

It’s Ralph so grain of salt areas, but it’s also the first time I’ve seen a Vic journo put forward a trade for pick 1 that’s somewhat realistic

Picks 2 and 5 is thereabouts, albeit it’s dependent on North getting ahead of the Bulldogs for the Suns pick and also pick 3 for McKay

1 - Reid (NM)
2 - Walters (GC)
3 - McKercher (WC)
4 - Curtin (NM)
5 - Duursma (Hawthorn)
6 - O’Sullivan (WC)

If we take Curtin instead of McKercher it’s looks a bit different as you’d expect North to go with Curtin using 3 leaving us with maybe Sanders at 6

Not quite 2 and 3 but it isn’t far off

North Melbourne is certain to trade next year’s pair of end-of-first round draft picks and seems the only club with a genuine shot at trading up for this year’s No. 1 overall pick.
The Roos have been handed a trio of end-of-first-round selections by the AFL as part of an assistance package – one this year and two in the 2024 national draft.

Those 2024 selections came with a warning from the AFL that they would review them based on the Roos ladder position in a clear signal the league wanted North Melbourne to trade them for established talent.

Under the guidelines, the Roos do not have to trade them for a player to ensure they are not at risk of the AFL taking the picks back.

Instead they can trade them to a rival club for picks in this year’s draft or even similar selections in next year’s draft to ensure they are off limits to the AFL.

But with a raft of picks – likely three first-rounders this year and three next year as they await Ben McKay free agency compensation – they have ample opportunities to offer the Eagles a trade package for the No. 1 overall pick.

Clubs believe West Coast will not trade out the No. 1 pick – and rights to Reid – unless they can secure the No. 2 pick which would see them select homegrown talent Daniel Curtin.

If North Melbourne has picks 2, 3 (Ben McKay compensation), 15 and 20 as well as three first-rounders next year they could also attempt to secure the Suns’ first-round pick.

That pick is currently No. 4, but would shuffle back to five following Hawthorn’s initial pick with the McKay free agency compensation.

The Roos would have to offer a superior package to the Dogs’ current offer, which is picks 10, 17 and a future first-rounder, with the Suns giving back a future third-rounder.

But if they could trump that deal for the Suns current pick 4, they could end up with picks 2, 3 and 5 after Ben McKay departs, with the Eagles retaining pick one.

The Roos could then offer two and five for the No. 1 overall pick, meaning they would secure Vic Country mid-forward Reid and another elite junior this year while the Eagles take Curtin and another early talent.

It would be a huge amount to give up for Reid, but Alastair Clarkson has made clear he is intent on securing multiple early picks in multiple drafts to shoot up the draft order.

It’s Ralph so grain of salt areas, but it’s also the first time I’ve seen a Vic journo put forward a trade for pick 1 that’s somewhat realistic

Picks 2 and 5 is thereabouts, albeit it’s dependent on North getting ahead of the Bulldogs for the Suns pick and also pick 3 for McKay

1 - Reid (NM)
2 - Walters (GC)
3 - McKercher (WC)
4 - Curtin (NM)
5 - Duursma (Hawthorn)
6 - O’Sullivan (WC)

If we take Curtin instead of McKercher it’s looks a bit different as you’d expect North to go with Curtin using 3 leaving us with maybe Sanders at 6

Not quite 2 and 3 but it isn’t far off

The only thing I hate about the 2 and 5 for 1 trade is I know we’d take Curtin at 2 instead of McKercher and at 5 we’d probably be stuck with Watson or Caddy, maybe Sanders.

It’s just not as nice as it sounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back