List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
He's 176cm and only 17, so still growing so hopefully hit 180cm+.

I think the other thing is to your point RE height meaning he won't got too early, there looks like trucks loads of good talent which will push him to later pick.

He was 165cm at the start of last year so likely still growing.

Phil Davis actually showing he’s got half a clue in our KP list analysis. Very refreshing but shows he’s only very recently out of the game.

Thanks for that - Phil's input was very good. Pity the other 2 plonkers tried to keep butting in.

I read in the tea leaves that Phil probably thinks Flynn is an Eagle in 2024

How is that even a language?

View attachment 1820045
88.-GettyImages-3247205-f84b6be-e1567001931829.jpg

Pick 4 PLUS something else. He isnt being traded for just pick 4.

He's also too old for our group.

Plus he's a total flog who missed a period of time out 'injured' and, if this rumour is true, the Dees want to move him on for some reason. Injury? Behaviour? What?
I wasn’t actually being serious but we do actually need a few 22-27 yr old mids to help carry the load. Spending large amounts of draft capital on someone like Oliver wouldn’t be the way. 👍🏻

It’s Ralph so grain of salt areas, but it’s also the first time I’ve seen a Vic journo put forward a trade for pick 1 that’s somewhat realistic

Picks 2 and 5 is thereabouts, albeit it’s dependent on North getting ahead of the Bulldogs for the Suns pick and also pick 3 for McKay

1 - Reid (NM)
2 - Walters (GC)
3 - McKercher (WC)
4 - Curtin (NM)
5 - Duursma (Hawthorn)
6 - O’Sullivan (WC)

If we take Curtin instead of McKercher it’s looks a bit different as you’d expect North to go with Curtin using 3 leaving us with maybe Sanders at 6

Not quite 2 and 3 but it isn’t far off

If Norf could guarantee they take Curtin with 4, I would be more open to it as I think we have a much greater need for O'Sullivan at 6.

But "thereabouts" is not a godfather offer!!

I would want Norf's 2024 pick 19 as well. Next year pick 19 will likely get you the 25th best player. So useful but not as good as a normal pick 19

It’s Ralph so grain of salt areas, but it’s also the first time I’ve seen a Vic journo put forward a trade for pick 1 that’s somewhat realistic

Picks 2 and 5 is thereabouts, albeit it’s dependent on North getting ahead of the Bulldogs for the Suns pick and also pick 3 for McKay

1 - Reid (NM)
2 - Walters (GC)
3 - McKercher (WC)
4 - Curtin (NM)
5 - Duursma (Hawthorn)
6 - O’Sullivan (WC)

If we take Curtin instead of McKercher it’s looks a bit different as you’d expect North to go with Curtin using 3 leaving us with maybe Sanders at 6

We should absolutely be asking for 3 instead of 5 in that scenario.

If they go that hard for Reid (which they may well do now they got a bunch of free picks from the VFL), are they really going to throw him away for the difference between 3&5?

The only thing I hate about the 2 and 5 for 1 trade is I know we’d take Curtin at 2 instead of McKercher and at 5 we’d probably be stuck with Watson or Caddy, maybe Sanders.

It’s just not as nice as it sounds.
If we didn’t take Curtin at 2 though it probably looks alright. Does the club really rate Curtin as pick 2? I doubt it.

1 - Reid (NM)
2 - Walters (GC)
3 - McKercher (WC)
4 - Curtin (NM)
5 - Duursma (Hawthorn)
6 - O’Sullivan (WC)

From that same article - pick 3 for North isn’t the slam dunk that’s been reported previously

Clubs are having meetings this week with the AFL about issues including how the new pay deal will influence free agency compensation.

Last year clubs believed the contract figure needed was $790,000 over at least three seasons for band-one compensation but the pay deal will increase wages 10 per cent in 2023, 5.1 per cent in 2024 and 12.6 per cent in 2025.

So clubs are eager to know if contracts for players like McKay and Gresham would need to be more than $850,000 from 2024 onwards to secure first-round compensation.

While Hawthorn offered up to $850,000 a year for Ben McKay, Essendon’s deal could reach that scope with incentives but is understood not to reach $800,000 of locked-in salary each year.

The AFL’s free agency compensation formula compares the new contract to every other deal across the competition for players over 25 years of age, with the contract needing to be in the top five per cent of those deals to trigger first-round compo.

North Melbourne will hope the league helps massage that compensation with his age at only 25 years of age helping them in their bid to secure the No.3 draft pick for his loss.

Clubs can ask the AFL before a contract is lodged what compensation it will trigger and adjust their deals accordingly to ensure rivals are satisfied with the pick they receive and do not match the free agency offer.

It’s of the surprise to no one but Twomey has officially confirmed the Roos are targeting pick -

I really hope we don’t fall for a quantity over quality offer.

Absolutely ridiculous that they’ve been given all this free assistance and they’re allowed to blow it all on a 1 pick upgrade. I don’t understand the logic in that unless it was intended by the AFL (which it now looks like it clearly was). They should be forced to use those picks separately, not package them all up for a player they don’t necessarily need

100% just blatant corruption and manipulation of the draft from the AFL and I hope we tell them to shove it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From that same article - pick 3 for North isn’t the slam dunk that’s been reported previously

So would need to be $850k in 2024 and rise in line with the CBA?

Meaning in 2026 McKay would be on $1.028m?

Yikes… I know it is not a fair comparison as all contracts (in theory) should go up, but $1m+ for Ben McKay

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yikes… I know it is not a fair comparison as all contracts (in theory) should go up, but $1m+ for Ben McKay

No. It needs to be in line with top 5% of earnings for 25 years olds in 2023 once CBA increase is taken in to account, meaning averaging 850K or there abouts.

Not quite right there

The compo is based on the average salary per year for the duration of the contract

If we take McKercher at 2 and North don’t get 3 for McKay, Curtin will get through to 5 in my opinion, Hawks will take Duursma.
My preference would be McKercher and
1) Duursma
2) Curtin
3)O’Sullivan
4)Sanders

I think any of those combinations are an okay result.

Pick 2 & 3 gets us McKercher and Duursma. I still have some concerns over Duursma and his contested ball but outside of that he has bucket loads of talent. Has made it look very easy at times up forward in the last few months. Has speed , agility, kicking skills and a very good mark.

Would still like us just to take Reid because he’s good. I also see this all happening again over the next few years if we have high picks in future drafts.

Absolutely ridiculous that they’ve been given all this free assistance and they’re allowed to blow it all on a 1 pick upgrade. I don’t understand the logic in that unless it was intended by the AFL (which it now looks like it clearly was). They should be forced to use those picks separately, not package them all up for a player they don’t necessarily need

100% just blatant corruption and manipulation of the draft from the AFL and I hope we tell them to shove it.

What if West Coast were in on it?

I read that as Melb to offload Oliver for better Picks to make a package to offer WCE ..

We should pretend to be willing to trade but not until draft night so they trade Oliver. Then we change our minds .

To be fair Melbourne would be stupid to do that they a one 50 goal key forward away from another premiership.

Unless we get offered 2 and 3 in a straight swap for 1, I’m backing ROB and team to hold firm and take Reid.

Maybe Melb does Oliver + Pick 5 to Norf for Picks 2+ 3 which gives Melb offering to Wce + pick 13 so Picks 2-3 and 13 For Pick 1 ..
I don’t like it as I want to keep Pick 1 but just crystal balling ..

My preference would be McKercher and
1) Duursma
2) Curtin
3)O’Sullivan
4)Sanders

I think any of those combinations are an okay result.

Pick 2 & 3 gets us McKercher and Duursma. I still have some concerns over Duursma and his contested ball but outside of that he has bucket loads of talent. Has made it look very easy at times up forward in the last few months. Has speed , agility, kicking skills and a very good mark.

Would still like us just to take Reid because he’s good. I also see this all happening again over the next few years if we have high picks in future drafts.
If it was 2 & 3, Curtin will be one of them

Ok so a Sunday special.

Assumption being the club decided to trade pick 1. If that happened whats likely.

Step 1: Yeo to Essendon for pick 28 (ends up early30's)

Trade pick 1 for 2, 14, 19 and PP F20.

Then we trade 2, 34 and F2nd to Suns for pick 4, 29, F1st and Chol.

Out: Yeo, 1, 34 and F2nd

In: 4, 14, 19, F1st and F2nd plus Chol.

Go to the draft with 4, 14, 19, 20, 28, 34. Six open list spots.

Pick up Suns F1st and Norths 24PP end of 1st. We then would already hold THREE 1st rounders for 2024.
IMG_0249.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back