Resource Contracts [Updated 05/10/2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

Trengove and Tapacott signed 3 year deals at the start and extended them by a further 2 years. Scully only signed a 2 year deal at the start.

Most North players sign 3 year deals at the start.

That is the facts champ... Stop arguing... You are wrong!

Some players keep the initial 2 year deal. Some players aren't offered anything other than the standard 2 years.

Which players do you believe are on 3 year deals?

Some players keep the initial 2 year deal. Some players aren't offered anything other than the standard 2 years.

Which players do you believe are on 3 year deals?

You are right Daz.

As I said some players are offered longer contracts, because

a) they are a high draft pick

b) they come from interstate

or, and I think this one is of most importance, the draft periods 2008-2011

c) new franchises

Stating that all NMFC draftees are given 3 year deals is just plain wrong.

Does anyone else get the impression that we are trimming up our list and loading up on rookies in order to contractually stitch up our best 25 players?

Does anyone else get the impression that we are trimming up our list and loading up on rookies in order to contractually stitch up our best 25 players?

Possibly. I guess with the money being thrown around by the expansition franchises we need to make sure that we are renumerating our best talent sufficiently.

If that means we have to trim a few players who are perceived to be outside the best 25-30 then so be it.

I see it but I hope is because we have the root stock that can be built on with the kids we have i.e. mullet, D Bro's, Atley.

Maybe we are making room for dribble in 2014:D

Trengove and Tapacott signed 3 year deals at the start and extended them by a further 2 years. Scully only signed a 2 year deal at the start.

Most North players sign 3 year deals at the start.

That is the facts champ... Stop arguing... You are wrong!

Not sure if you're working with inside info or speculating.

Seems pretty odd practice to lockup a spot on the list for 3 years for an untried kid. Very risky.

There might be rare exceptions of highly rated youngsters but Brayden Norris, Warren Benjamin etc suggest that we'd roll them over mid-term in most cases.

eg - MacMillan signing a contract extension this year during his 2 year initial contract. If a kid taken at pick 37 who showed something from year 1 wasn't on a 3 year starter deal then why would we assume it's the norm?

Updated to include Thompson, who is our first player to sign on until 2014.

It was also mentioned in the HS article about Hunter that Scott McMahon signed a new deal recently.

It was also mentioned in the HS article about Hunter that Scott McMahon signed a new deal recently.

Good news. He's a very important and classy player for us is Loose, who's often unfairly undervalued by supporters.

The good players are the ones we want to keep. It's the rest who become surplus/tradeable.

Plus leadership down back, in the wake of Brady's retirement, is definitely required of the experienced players down there who are remaining.

A bit has happened in the last 20 days.

We know talks between Thompson and the club were put off a while ago. No news since.

I have no idea about McMahon and Adams. They're key players so they could well be tied up for next season already.

All 3 key players are now signed up:thumbsu:

Thompson and Adams until 2014, but the length of McMahon's new contract wasn't published as far as I'm aware.

Firrito's 3 year deal has nearly come to an end. Despite his below-par form this year, you'd expect he'd get a new one year deal. Although his spot in the side may not be quite as safe next season

One of the newspapers wrote that Spud was looking for a better deal than the one we proposed. No news since.

Speight was only elevated off the rookie list at the last draft. I assume he only got a 1 year deal. No doubt he'll be offered a new deal very soon, if he hasn't already.

Black and Kennedy are due to come out of their initial 2 year draftee contracts.

No word on any of those 3. I highly doubt there have been/will be any issues. I wouldn't be surprised if they've all signed extensions and it just wasn't considered newsworthy.

The only other players that I haven't seen anything about are Thomas, Garlett, Tarrant, Pratt, Warren and Campbell. These deals might be postponed until after trade week.

We're currently looking to find Pratty a new home during trade week. It has been made clear he won't be at North in 2012.

No announcements have been made on the other lads.

Booyaah :thumbsu:

“(I’ve) Never had any doubt with North, I couldn’t be happier here and with the exciting list coming through, it’s looking great for the future and over the next couple of years, I reckon North will be right up there."

Now for Basta and Goldy.

Cunnington joins a raft of young and talented players to have penned new deals at Aegis Park in recent times and acknowledges there are a few names he’d like to see follow suit.

“Hopefully they (Goldstein and Bastinac) jump on board because the club’s going in the right direction. Exciting times ahead. I’ve done my part in sticking around, it’s up to them now.”

at least we know they haven't all got their heads in the sand about it.
the longer those two boys take to sign the more worried I'll get. pretty confident though. sounds like all the young fella's have a bit of a pact to stick together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now for Basta and Goldy.

Speculation is that the GWS decision to pass on Longer indicates that they have agreed to terms with an established ruckman for 2013 already.

I know GWS already have Giles but he was a SANFL ruckman who got cut from Port. Not great pedigree by the looks of things.

In other words, I think there may be something to this speculation.

What other young ruckmen are out of contract in 12 months?

The other thing, of course, is that GWS will get the wooden spoon and top national, rookie and PSD picks too, meaning they could steal an out of contract player who throws themselves in the draft. At least that's how I'd do it if I was after more than one player from one club. I note we didn't announce any more signings before the draft.

By the way, before anybody says 'nah brah they took Downie, that shows the speculation is wrong', I'll just point out that the kid has played less games of footy in the past five years than my 7yo nephew. That's no exaggeration either. He didn't last til pick 50 whatever for nothing.

An elderly Port Adelaide reject, a young Port Power reject, and a basketballer comprise the current GWS ruck stock. They are either incredibly stupid, incredibly confident in the 2012 draft, or they know something the rest of us don't...

Speculation is that the GWS decision to pass on Longer indicates that they have agreed to terms with an established ruckman for 2013 already.

I know GWS already have Giles but he was a SANFL ruckman who got cut from Port. Not great pedigree by the looks of things.

In other words, I think there may be something to this speculation.

What other young ruckmen are out of contract in 12 months?

McEvoy. GONE.

True, if we had to lose a decent player from that list i'd rather it be Hansen than Bastinac.

Seriously? If we had to lose one of those two it would be Basti every day of the week

Going on recent history if he says he's waiting till the end of the year we should drop him straight away.

It's code for yes I am pissing off and I'm only here to get match payments.

Or he could be wanting to get closer to his market worth.

Basti had a blinder of a first year, every game, showed he is dual sided knows where and when to run to get the footy has footy smarts and has real talent.

His second year he was out injured for a significant amount of time. When he did get back it was a shade of his first year as it took time to recapture consistent form and fitness.

Perhaps just perhaps he wants to prove he can recapture his form and fitness on the big stage before signing.

Personally I will believe that the kid that recently took the number 3 from a bloke that poured his soul into it is leaving for $$ when I read the headline saying it. Until that happens I will believe he is staying. Even if he chooses to re-sign in October.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back