Resource Contracts [Updated 05/10/2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

From our perspective, trading a loyal and distinguished club servant with potentially 3 years left in him so we could get a 2nd round pick in a s**t draft makes no sense to me at all. Scotty would have to be lured away for a 2+ year contract from another club, that North wouldn't be prepared to meet..

at no point did I say it was fair or right, but I can understand if we want Durdin to take Scott's role that we as a club may not be that excited to offer a loyal club man an extension.

at no point did I say it was fair or right, but I can understand if we want Durdin to take Scott's role that we as a club may not be that excited to offer a loyal club man an extension.

Durdin is playing Hansens role. Taz takes the number one KPF and Durdin zones.

Scott T can stand medium talls to smalls, same as Neilsen, same as Vickers - Willis.

Durdin is playing Hansens role. Taz takes the number one KPF and Durdin zones.

Scott T can stand medium talls to smalls, same as Neilsen, same as Vickers - Willis.

you may be right let me correct my statement, if we want Neilson or EVW to take Scott's role we as a club may not be that excited to offer a loyal club man an extension.

Scotty Thompson is in a similar category to Waite for me. Offer them both contracts.

The way things are going injury-wise these days, you'd need at least these four (five counting Taz) rotating between the positions across a season. At worst experienced depth, at best, he keeps doing what he's doing which is far better than the first few games.

Some hard decisions but for me gone are
Hansen
Jacobs - would think about the rookie list
Taylor
Fordham
Waite (love to keep but is 34 and injury prone- would free up more coin)
And I'd pay out Thomas or Anderson (or both)
Wagner on shaky ground

Definitely keep Thompson for one more year and Gibbo is severely under rated on this board. Need a young player to force him out.

Some hard decisions but for me gone are
Hansen - GONE
Jacobs - would think about the rookie list ROOKIE DOWNGRADE or 1 YR EXTENSION plus a 'games played' trigger for an extra year.
Taylor - RE-ROOKIE. 2 years on the rookie list with two preseasons and we should know more.
Fordham - GONE. Seen enough. Vanilla kind of player
Waite (love to keep but is 34 and injury prone- would free up more coin) Before half time against the Dees, I was like "GIVE HIM 1 MORE YEAR!". Not so sure though... we are a better/more competitive team when he is in it, but...10-12 games in an injury interrupted season is probably not going to cut it next year.
And I'd pay out Thomas or Anderson (or both) Try to move on both. Never pay out a contract IMO. If no suitors then...KEEP. If Geelong don't get Devon Smith, LT might be a good option there. Perhaps GCS would consider Jed...(based on nothing other than proximity to NT)??
Wagner on shaky ground Downgrade to rookie.

Definitely keep Thompson for one more year and Gibbo is severely under rated on this board. Need a young player to force him out.

Probably not the thread for it, but my thoughts above...

Taylor - RE-ROOKIE. 2 years on the rookie list with two preseasons and we should know more.

Fordham - GONE. Seen enough. Vanilla kind of player

Waite (love to keep but is 34 and injury prone- would free up more coin) Before half time against the Dees, I was like "GIVE HIM 1 MORE YEAR!". Not so sure though... we are a better/more competitive team when he is in it, but...10-12 games in an injury interrupted season is probably not going to cut it next year.
I can't see Taylor being any less vanilla than Fordham.

I think the 'injury prone' tag gets highlighted more because of his age. There are younger players who have struggled with injury and who don't produce what Waite can produce when he's on the field. If we can afford to keep him on the list, in terms of spots on the list, then keep him and pay him a lower base with performance rewards for the number of games. What's another year when we're rebuilding? He makes others walk taller.

I can't see Taylor being any less vanilla than Fordham.

I think the 'injury prone' tag gets highlighted more because of his age. There are younger players who have struggled with injury and who don't produce what Waite can produce when he's on the field. If we can afford to keep him on the list, in terms of spots on the list, then keep him and pay him a lower base with performance rewards for the number of games. What's another year when we're rebuilding? He makes others walk taller.

I agree, except Fordham has had three years, Taylor has only had one... I don't think Fordham deserves another go, whereas Taylor probably does purely based on time.

Waite makes us better no doubt, and his best is still elite, but his body is failing him and he's not playing enough consecutive games to make it an absolute lock for next year. Other things will need to be sorted out with greater priority first.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree, except Fordham has had three years, Taylor has only had one... I don't think Fordham deserves another go, whereas Taylor probably does purely based on time.
Meh.

Waite makes us better no doubt, and his best is still elite, but his body is failing him and he's not playing enough consecutive games to make it an absolute lock for next year. Other things will need to be sorted out with greater priority first.
As I said, it's based on list space. If it's there, and he's agreeable to a lower salary, it's a no-brainer for me to retain him. As someone else has said elsewhere, perhaps based on if we get Dusty and Kelly, but even so, consider this...

North leaderboard in AFLCA polling

40 Ben Cunnington
39 Ben Brown
33 Shaun Higgins
17 Jarrad Waite
16 Jack Ziebell

How many has Waite played, compared to others? I think people are too quick to seize upon age and injury prone and not enough on 'what he offers' when he takes the field. One more year, giving more time to the likes of Larkey and McKay.

Meh.

As I said, it's based on list space. If it's there, and he's agreeable to a lower salary, it's a no-brainer for me to retain him. As someone else has said elsewhere, perhaps based on if we get Dusty and Kelly, but even so, consider this...

North leaderboard in AFLCA polling

40 Ben Cunnington
39 Ben Brown
33 Shaun Higgins
17 Jarrad Waite
16 Jack Ziebell

How many has Waite played, compared to others? I think people are too quick to seize upon age and injury prone and not enough on 'what he offers' when he takes the field. One more year, giving more time to the likes of Larkey and McKay.
I agree with most of your opinions.
I think if Waite can go on then we should definitely give him a 1 year contract.
1. This won't cost us much.
2. As mentioned above when he's in we look so much better.
3. Is a great decoy for BBB
4. Isn't holding any developing forwards out.
5. Will give us another year to develop Larkey and McKay

If Geelong can't get Ablett they should try and trade for Waite. He could win them a flag with Hawkins. Future second for us to get TT/father sons.

If Geelong can't get Ablett they should try and trade for Waite. He could win them a flag with Hawkins. Future second for us to get TT/father sons.

He's out of contract and a UFA

There would be no trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, that's not how FA works. He needs to be here for another four years or something to be FA.

Yep, checked it up and it appears you are correct.

What a stupid scenario for a 35 year old to have to endure.

Waite is NOT on a big salary, so I would still keep him.
Hansen definitely gone for mine. Thompson and Gibson could get 1 year deals, but I am almost ready to let Thompson go to be honest.
When all of Durdin, Taz, Nielsen and VW are fit, we definitely don't need him. But even if 2 of them are injured, I'd rather take a punt than keep him. The difference between he and Waite, is Jarred is still a very good player when fit, whereas Scotty is way past his best IMO.

Jacobs in similar situation as Wright - can't see them getting back to their best after missing so much footy, but 1 year deals for both are appropriate.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Get Waite to 100 games he has a son I think . Even if he 40 :)

Waite is NOT on a big salary, so I would still keep him.
Hansen definitely gone for mine. Thompson and Gibson could get 1 year deals, but I am almost ready to let Thompson go to be honest.
When all of Durdin, Taz, Nielsen and VW are fit, we definitely don't need him. But even if 2 of them are injured, I'd rather take a punt than keep him. The difference between he and Waite, is Jarred is still a very good player when fit, whereas Scotty is way past his best IMO.

Jacobs in similar situation as Wright - can't see them getting back to their best after missing so much footy, but 1 year deals for both are appropriate.
agreed, surprised at all the gibson talk, he seems to be going fine atm.

Hansen is as good as gone. Would be stupid to stick around. Jacobs better be retained even on a 1 year deal because he is crucial to stopping gun mids tearing us new ones. Wright is best 22 when fit. Fordham is gone. Leaning towards saying thank you and goodbye to Waite and giving Gibson and Wagner a 1 year deals. On the fence about Thompson as we have seen EVW, Durdin and Neilsen emerge. Thomas is an unknown.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back