List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

He was overlooked by 17 other clubs as well, odds are they know something we don’t. Not to say he couldn’t offer some value but I don’t think any WAFL player would have made a difference to what happened yesterday. We had genuine guns out on the park and didn’t get it done.

So was Jeremy McGovern ...so how did that work out, you reckon a few Clubs if they had their chance again might have picked him up.

He was overlooked by 17 other clubs as well, odds are they know something we don’t. Not to say he couldn’t offer some value but I don’t think any WAFL player would have made a difference to what happened yesterday. We had genuine guns out on the park and didn’t get it done.

Not asking him to make a difference.... just a contribution, when you have as many passengers in your team as we had in the second half , it would have been nice to have more contributors.

Does he make the final 22 if Shuey, Yeo are fit.......... Hell NO ...... but there in lies the problem, neither are playing and the future for them both is looking uncertain.

Our midfield depth is super thin and thats nothing new, that we didn't already know going into the season.

We are very much playing catch up, with getting some more young mids onto our list, last draft was a good start with Edwards, Winder and Trew, but there is still a lot of work that's needing to be done attending to this list need.

Until we nail some more quality young mids through the draft we are going to be caught in no man's land, our spine will keep us from becoming a basket case, however a failure to improve the midfield depth and quality will keep us in the 14 - 8 range for a sustained period.

Last edited:
So when I look at ourlist, I see only 3 players capable of playing an inside midfield role at the AFL level. Shuey, Yeo and Hutchings. I could possibly put Redden in there but he is more the negator and not the inside mid creator.

No s**t Sherlock that we continue to lose contested football when Yeo and Shuey are out. Our midfield minus Shuey went from dominating against Port to being buggered senselessly against the Saints. The only factor that I saw different was that we did not have Shuey and hence we had nobody capable of playing the inside mid role.

I suggest that we need to have at least 2 inside mids in every game otherwise we get our pants pulled down as we did with St Blunders in the second half. Redden can somewhat cover but we are in trouble if he is our primary inside mid.

When I say inside, I am not referring to being able to be at centre clearances or stoppages. You need a balance of attributes at these stoppages. When we have Gaff, Kelly, Sheed and Dougan attending, where is the inside grunt? Missing. I had hoped the stint in defence might have made Duggan harder at the inside contest but alas, we play him wing. We include Brander as a mid but he is a winger at best.

I have been one of the earliest and most vocal posters when we drafted Ainsworth. I crossed out his name at an U18 carnival as his skills were not up to U18 let alone AFL standard. When we picked him, I was comforted by other posters that he was a contested ball beast. Then we play him as a winger at WAFL and believe he is an outside mid. If he was to be developed as an inside bull, then great. He adds to our list strength and gives us options in the case of Yeo and Shuey being unavailable. It says to me that we do not understand what it takes to win the contested ball. I would say we need to change the development of Ainsworth. His only chance to stay on our list is to become an inside bull. He turns 23 this year so the clock is ticking (for us and for him).

The calls for Trew to be developed early are justified. I believe our list is in such a poor state for inside midfield depth that we have no option but to accelerate his development. Did Sarong or Worpel suffer in their rookie year? No. Then lets bring him in and give him a sustained run of games to see if he can sire to the challenge in the absence of Shuey, Yeo and Hutch.

Our only other realistic option I can see is to change Nelson to being an inside mid. He has had some limited exposure to it. I sense he discovered himself as a half back and we have fairly good depth in that area. Do we decide our lack of a plan B means we need to change mid stream? Probably yes. It seemed that Simpson was bereft of ideas against the Saints.

Left field. Do we redeploy Waterman and train him up as an inside bull. He has great endurance, his body is AFL ready and he reads the play pretty well. He also looked very rusty on Saturday. I would be prepared to sacrifice the next month and send him back to WAFL to learn the inside game.

Since 2018, we have floated around as a 4 to 7 club. Unless our limited stocks of inside mids are playing, I doubt we have the game plan and the players capable of competing against the pointy end final pressure. This is really surprising from Simmo since his playing career showed he knew the importance of the inside mid.

So when I look at ourlist, I see only 3 players capable of playing an inside midfield role at the AFL level. Shuey, Yeo and Hutchings. I could possibly put Redden in there but he is more the negator and not the inside mid creator.

No sh*t Sherlock that we continue to lose contested football when Yeo and Shuey are out. Our midfield minus Shuey went from dominating against Port to being buggered senselessly against the Saints. The only factor that I saw different was that we did not have Shuey and hence we had nobody capable of playing the inside mid role.

I suggest that we need to have at least 2 inside mids in every game otherwise we get our pants pulled down as we did with St Blunders in the second half. Redden can somewhat cover but we are in trouble if he is our primary inside mid.

When I say inside, I am not referring to being able to be at centre clearances or stoppages. You need a balance of attributes at these stoppages. When we have Gaff, Kelly, Sheed and Dougan attending, where is the inside grunt? Missing. I had hoped the stint in defence might have made Duggan harder at the inside contest but alas, we play him wing. We include Brander as a mid but he is a winger at best.

I have been one of the earliest and most vocal posters when we drafted Ainsworth. I crossed out his name at an U18 carnival as his skills were not up to U18 let alone AFL standard. When we picked him, I was comforted by other posters that he was a contested ball beast. Then we play him as a winger at WAFL and believe he is an outside mid. If he was to be developed as an inside bull, then great. He adds to our list strength and gives us options in the case of Yeo and Shuey being unavailable. It says to me that we do not understand what it takes to win the contested ball. I would say we need to change the development of Ainsworth. His only chance to stay on our list is to become an inside bull. He turns 23 this year so the clock is ticking (for us and for him).

The calls for Trew to be developed early are justified. I believe our list is in such a poor state for inside midfield depth that we have no option but to accelerate his development. Did Sarong or Worpel suffer in their rookie year? No. Then lets bring him in and give him a sustained run of games to see if he can sire to the challenge in the absence of Shuey, Yeo and Hutch.

Our only other realistic option I can see is to change Nelson to being an inside mid. He has had some limited exposure to it. I sense he discovered himself as a half back and we have fairly good depth in that area. Do we decide our lack of a plan B means we need to change mid stream? Probably yes. It seemed that Simpson was bereft of ideas against the Saints.

Left field. Do we redeploy Waterman and train him up as an inside bull. He has great endurance, his body is AFL ready and he reads the play pretty well. He also looked very rusty on Saturday. I would be prepared to sacrifice the next month and send him back to WAFL to learn the inside game.

Since 2018, we have floated around as a 4 to 7 club. Unless our limited stocks of inside mids are playing, I doubt we have the game plan and the players capable of competing against the pointy end final pressure. This is really surprising from Simmo since his playing career showed he knew the importance of the inside mid.
With shuey not due back until round 15 we really need to use a mid season draft pick on an inside mid . Best available wafl /sanfl/vfl player and just plug them straight in to learn on the fly .

I have a feeling yeo won't recover and will go for surgery just like what happened with natanui's OP . It seems we have gone the same approach

So was Jeremy McGovern ...so how did that work out, you reckon a few Clubs if they had their chance again might have picked him up.

Not asking him to make a difference.... just a contribution, when you have as many passengers in your team as we had in the second half , it would have been nice to have more contributors.

Does he make the final 22 if Shuey, Yeo are fit.......... Hell NO ...... but there in lies the problem, neither are playing and the future for them both is looking uncertain.

Our midfield depth is super thin and thats nothing new, that we didn't already know going into the season.

We are very much playing catch up, with getting some more young mids onto our list, last draft was a good start with Edwards, Winder and Trew, but there is still a lot of work that's needing to be done attending to this list need.

Until we nail some more quality young mids through the draft we are going to be caught in no man's land, our spine will keep us from becoming a basket case, however a failure to improve the midfield depth and quality will keep us in the 14 - 8 range for a sustained period.

I completely agree with this - the disappointing thing I found this offseason was the fact we did nearly nothing to improve our midfield depth. I was hoping we’d pick up a couple of mature midfielders from the WAFL for scenarios like what we have now, given what happened last year.

I don’t know why the club didn’t decide to go that route, since it’s ridiculously easy to pick up someone like Bolton or Fisher in the draft. The issue we‘re facing now could’ve been completely addressed last offseason - nearly every recruiter for each AFL club has a massive bias against state league players for some reason, so they would’ve only cost picks in the 70s/80s or a rookie spot. Any two of Fisher, Bolton, Sokol, or even Schloithe would be pretty handy right about now, and they‘d put their entire being into it, since they’ve had to work so hard just to get there.

But this is a problem with every club. Not even ones that that recruit regularly from state leagues, like Geelong, actually exploit this weird bias to the full extent. Is there too much of a focus on athleticism? I really don‘t know the reason.

Last edited:
I completely agree with this - the disappointing thing I found this offseason was the fact we did nearly nothing to improve our midfield depth. I was hoping we’d pick up a couple of mature midfielders from the WAFL for scenarios like what we have now, given what happened last year.

I don’t know why the club didn’t decide to go that route, since it’s ridiculously easy to pick up someone like Bolton or Fisher in the draft. The issue we‘re facing now could’ve been completely addressed last offseason - nearly every recruiter for each AFL club has a massive bias against state league players for some reason, so they would’ve only cost picks in the 70s/80s or a rookie spot. Any two of Fisher, Bolton, Sokol, or even Schloithe would be pretty handy right about now, and they‘d put their entire being into it, since they’ve had to work so hard just to get there.

But this is a problem with every club. Not even ones that that recruit regularly from state leagues, like Geelong, actually exploit this weird bias to the full extent. Is it because recruiters have fallen into the trap of following trends set by American sports? Are clubs, in their attempt to imitate the American leagues, losing sight of the fact that our game is very, very particular, a lot more different compared to other international sports?

Ok I'm asking it.

Do club's avoid a lot of state league mature players because they 'know too much' about off field issues?

You would think a club would know in detail about each and every one of these players. And they don't get drafted by anyone. Why?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok I'm asking it.

Do club's avoid a lot of state league mature players because they 'know too much' about off field issues?

You would think a club would know in detail about each and every one of these players. And they don't get drafted by anyone. Why?

Spit balling here, but I suspect the difference in professionalism & skill between AFL and state leagues is what makes recruiters weary. You can invest in an 18 year old knowing that they have plenty of development left and if he comes good you have a decade of service as reward. Bring in a mid-20s player from a state league and the scope to improve is probably limited (i.e. by 24yrs of age, they're probably at their ceiling). You can't put development into a mature age recruit, the payoff is too small to make it worthwhile the investment. You need immediate impact.

Presumably someone playing in a state league into his 20s has shortcomings that lead to him not being drafted up to that point. Lacks athleticism or size or skills are a bit sub par. So to take them on, and hope they can take the next step, is risky.

There are exceptions, TK case in point. But that's why he got drafted and others don't.

Spit balling here, but I suspect the difference in professionalism & skill between AFL and state leagues is what makes recruiters weary. You can invest in an 18 year old knowing that they have plenty of development left and if he comes good you have a decade of service as reward. Bring in a mid-20s player from a state league and the scope to improve is probably limited (i.e. by 24yrs of age, they're probably at their ceiling). You can't put development into a mature age recruit, the payoff is too small to make it worthwhile the investment. You need immediate impact.

Presumably someone playing in a state league into his 20s has shortcomings that lead to him not being drafted up to that point. Lacks athleticism or size or skills are a bit sub par. So to take them on, and hope they can take the next step, is risky.

There are exceptions, TK case in point. But that's why he got drafted and others don't.

I wonder if that results in unacknowledged bias by recruiters. Like the old Moneyball scouts.

Ok I'm asking it.

basically a Good WAFL player doesnt cut it at AFL level and an older player has not time to develop for a return on investment.

But this is a problem with every club. Not even ones that that recruit regularly from state leagues, like Geelong, actually exploit this weird bias to the full extent. Is it because recruiters have fallen into the trap of following trends set by American sports? Are clubs, in their attempt to imitate the American leagues, losing sight of the fact that our game is very, very particular, a lot more different compared to other international sports?

I'm not sure the first line is correct. Whilst I understand what you are saying (some mature midfield depth would be handy right about now) I think this recent offseason was the first in a long time where the club has tried to address the lack of midfield depth.

Drafted Edwards, Trew and Winder - all mids or mid/flankers
Trained both Duggan and Brander as mids - Brander as an IM for the first time (leaving only ruck as a position he hasn't tried?!)

I agree with the rest though - should have recognised the fragility of the midfield group with Yeo out for the first half of the season (that was known) and Shuey susceptible to soft-tissue injuries (again, known). I mean we didn't even look at one of the mature mids as a train-on SSP player so clearly it wasn't a priority.

Absolutely agree in the sense that it's probably what makes recruiters wary, but on principle not sure I entirely agree with the recruiters mindsets.

Not everyone will be a TK or Ryan but Hutchings is a fantastic example of a player without outstanding AFL attributes who was still a good enough footballer to fill depth in an area we needed, step up when required and ultimately give a lot more service to the club than most of the mids we've picked with late draft picks. Big part of the 2018 premiership. He was delisted by an AFL club who didn't think he could make it prior to us drafting him as well.

Ironically it's actually Hutchings spot who I wish Sam Fisher had taken right now. Love Mark and think he and the club providing each other with a premiership is fantastic for a great clubman but body wise he's been pretty cooked recently. Imagine being able to bring in a 23 year old Fisher for the Saints game instead of an underdone Waterman or an underdeveloped Winder - not a world beater but someone who could crack in at the contest, be a mature body around packs and a young fresh enough runner outside them.

Those players with a lower ceiling but also lower performance floor are integral to a good side and don't cost a lot. Identifying that perhaps Hutch (and Vardy) were past the point of solid contribution and replacing them with younger, hungrier, more body solid equivalents from state leagues would have gone a long way to fixing some frustrations we've had this season.

Looks as though Jordan Clark has signed an extension with Geelong

Anyone since Stevens? 🤔
Bizarre. I mean it’s cool and all but I reckon we should be looking to trade one of Nelson, Cole or Duggan if it means we finally get access to this elusive elite midfield talent. Obviously the first two would need to be part of a pick upgrade but I would trade Duggo for a top 20 pick if it was a good draft. I don’t think we need all three

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back