List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

"Koopah"

GTFO his parents.
untitled-1124fuh1.gif

Having accepted his Jack Clarke Medal award earlier in the week as the fairest and best player in the colts competition for 2020, Lachlan Vanirsen is now the Mel Whinnen Medal winner as well after a brilliant Grand Final performance.

He finished with 32 possessions, 11 marks, five tackles and a goal to be judged best afield in the 59-point triumph for Subiaco.

Monocle AsterixTheGaul any idea why Vanirsen didn't find his way onto a list?
He might be a mature ager that makes it in a few years, but I sense recruiters aren't after contested mids who blaze kicks out of congestion. They're after contested mid that can maintain possession for their team. He's probably got a few things he needs to work on in his game before he gets drafted. But he's definitely got some talent.

Just saw this, from Jamison Ugle on an article from the West. Which WA talent was unlucky not to be drafted, if he's having a laugh with a mate (Shai Boltons brother) about not being drafted than he's not himself as a cat b. Harsh to make fun of someone not being drafted if you are. Screenshot_20201214-222814_Facebook.jpg

The gun footballers end up at private schools on scholarships. Hence the numbers coming out of those schools
This is true, especially with some schools. But still bucket loads of them aren't on scholarships.
The two zones are definitely the more affluent areas within Melbourne, so no doubt kids just have better opportunities growing up and it translates into these two clubs producing 4 - 8 draftees per year.

Having accepted his Jack Clarke Medal award earlier in the week as the fairest and best player in the colts competition for 2020, Lachlan Vanirsen is now the Mel Whinnen Medal winner as well after a brilliant Grand Final performance.

He finished with 32 possessions, 11 marks, five tackles and a goal to be judged best afield in the 59-point triumph for Subiaco.

Monocle AsterixTheGaul any idea why Vanirsen didn't find his way onto a list?

Probably a combination of things, that we will never know.

1. IMO I think he is a very good WAFL footballer, but to my eye he just didn't have any AFL traits that I normally mark up.
He gets a lot of it, but I just don't think he is as damaging with the ball in hand as AFL scouts are looking for, he doesn't appear to have any serious hurt factor and I suspect recruiters are looking for a bit more creativity with his disposals.

However a big +: He won the Mel Whinnen Medal..... always a big :whitecheck: when you play well on the big stage in a must win game, that shows great temperament.

2. As for the Jack Clarke Medal I don't rate the Award particularly highly for a number of reasons.

Most years its won by a player thats played most of the Colts games, so the kids that play PSA football and or play Championships are limited in their voting opportunities.

The kids that are better Colts players get promoted and play reserves and even league.... for example I suspect that if any of McDonald, DG-B, or O'Driscoll played a full season in the Colts then they would have won this years JC medal.
So in a harsh way I always view the JC Medal winner as the best of the "Fish That John West Rejects".

3. Also there is that component of recruiting that we plebs, never get to see or access, the AFL guarded files, of the kids medicals, their background checks, the interviews and the psychologists reports. ( Not for a minute I am suggesting anything adverse here with Vanirsen ... please don't draw that conclusion)
These reports pay an important part of the "montage" that goes into player assessment.
During my stint in Melbourne, 2006, I coached a kid in the year he made the AA under 18 team , that was on the back of having done the same at the under / 16 level. So two AA's to his name.
I was questioned by two AFL teams asking about his hunger for the contest and his desire to win at all cost..... truth was it just wasn't there... I had never seen it.
He never got drafted and ended up having a pretty uninspiring footy career .
Terrific kid, a 208 cm ruckman, that was just so passive.
Thats the extent of background checks they did then , so I wonder just how intense its is now.

4. The AFL enforced, list cuts, hurt approximately 36 young aspiring kids from making their way on to an AFL list.

5. The shut down of football due to Covid and the subsequent cancelation of this Years Championships hurt kids from showing their craft against the best of the best..... that was a real bummer for these kids , due to no fault of their own.

6. Clubs in general like to see two or three years body of work, if they can, when assessing prospective draft-able talent, its not a must , but it does help, obviously this is not always possible.

Apologies ....... long rambling attempt to answer what is a complexed question..

The good news for Vanirsen is that his still young and his agent ( if he is doing his job properly ), should have asked for feedback from AFL Clubs as to areas of his game that needed development.
He gets to go back to Subiaco, work on these areas and show his talent by making his way into the league team.

Good year for him as there is a mid year draft.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I wish the kid well but I just don't see him making the AFL, on what I have seen thus far.
Hope he proves me wrong as its always nice when the naysayers are put back in their place.

Last edited:

1. IMO I think he is a very good WAFL footballer, but to my eye he just didn't have any AFL traits that I normally mark up.
He gets a lot of it, but I just don't think he is as damaging with the ball in hand as AFL scouts are looking for, he doesn't appear to have any serious hurt factor and I suspect recruiters are looking for a bit more creativity with his disposals.

However a big +: He won the Mel Whinnen Medal..... always a big :whitecheck: when you play well on the big stage in a must win game, that shows great temperament.

2. As for the Jack Clarke Medal I don't rate the Award particularly highly for a number of reasons.

Most years its won by a player thats played most of the Colts games, so the kids that play PSA football and or play Championships are limited in their voting opportunities.

The kids that are better Colts players get promoted and play reserves and even league.... for example I suspect that if any of McDonald, DG-B, or O'Driscoll played a full season in the Colts then they would have won this years JC medal.
So in a harsh way I always view the JC Medal winner as the best of the "Fish That John West Rejects".

3. Also there is that component of recruiting that we plebs, never get to see or access, the AFL guarded files, of the kids medicals, their background checks, the interviews and the psychologists reports. ( Not for a minute I am suggesting anything adverse here with Vanirsen ... please don't draw that conclusion)
These reports pay an important part of the "montage" that goes into player assessment.
During my stint in Melbourne, 2006, I coached a kid in the year he made the AA under 18 team , that was on the back of having done the same at the under / 16 level. So two AA's to his name.
I was questioned by two AFL teams asking about his hunger for the contest and his desire to win at all cost..... truth was it just wasn't there... I had never seen it.
Thats the extent of background checks they did then , so I wonder just how intense its is now.

4. The AFL enforced, list cuts, hurt approximately 36 young aspiring kids from making their way on to an AFL list.

5. The shut down of football due to Covid and the subsequent cancelation of this Years Championships hurt kids from showing their craft against the best of the best..... that was a real bummer for these kids , due to no fault of their own.

6. Clubs in general like to see two or three years body of work, if they can, when assessing prospective draft-able talent, its not a must , but it does help, obviously this is not always possible.

Apologies ....... long rambling attempt to answer what is a complexed question..

The good news for Vanirsen is that his still young and his agent ( if he is doing his job properly ), should have asked for feedback from AFL Clubs as to areas of his game that needed development.
He gets to go back to Subiaco, work on these areas and show his talent by making his way into the league team.

I wish the kid well but I just don't see him making the AFL, on what I have seen thus far.
Hope he proves me wrong as its always nice when the naysayers are put back in their place.
I watched the colts GF and was generally impressed with Vanirsen. Thought he showed great leadership and wasn't afraid to get in and do the hard work and small things that get sides across the line.

This was awesome

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lads

If anyone enjoyed our draft preview with Lenny Fogliani, we've got him back on the show for a draft review

We do take a look at both WA clubs and the Eagles talk begins at around the 37 min mark. Hope you enjoy.

Pretty good stats for Winder. I didn’t realise how good his combine testing results were too. Great sprint and agility test times

Are eagles able to cut ways with Willie? I don't see him playing again.

On CPH1921 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not so fast Dude.

We have ridden the process thus far and as a Club and as a group of supporters, we will stand by Willie against all odds no matter what, until the end.

FB: Hurn Barrass Sheppard
HB: Cole McGovern Witherden
C: Duggan Yeo Gaff
HF: Cripps Darling Ryan
FF: Langdon Kennedy Allen

R: Naitanui Kelly Shuey

I: Nelson Redden Sheed Waterman

FB: Rotham H. Edwards Johnson
HB: Foley Brander L. Edwards
C: Winder Hutchings Ainsworth
HF: Petrucelle Williams Ah Chee
FF: Cameron Vardy Jones

R: Jamieson Trew O’Neill

I: Ugle Venables Rioli

this list should be going all the way , I’m hoping these knuckleheads can find the magic of 2018 ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back