List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

Any first year player would stand out during Norths pre-season.

LOL I was thinking the same. Take nothing away from the kid but they're a *en rabble, a 3 legged turtle would tear up the North track these days.

Another junior, hasn't even played beyond Colts for Swan Districts - missing the point of the SPP again.

Must have had a growth spurt this year as his WAFL profile is 6cm shorter than his draft profile (185cm vs 191cm).

From Draft Central:

Will Collins | Swan Districts
24/02/2002 | 191cm | 81kg

Collins caught the eye towards the latter end of season 2020 and capitalised on being selected for the Under 18 All Stars games with a couple of solid performances. He is a competitive type on the precipice of key position height, able to play on medium and tall forwards.

Another junior, hasn't even played beyond Colts for Swan Districts - missing the point of the SPP again.

Must have had a growth spurt this year as his WAFL profile is 6cm shorter than his draft profile (185cm vs 191cm).

From Draft Central:

Will Collins | Swan Districts
24/02/2002 | 191cm | 81kg

Collins caught the eye towards the latter end of season 2020 and capitalised on being selected for the Under 18 All Stars games with a couple of solid performances. He is a competitive type on the precipice of key position height, able to play on medium and tall forwards.

Can't recall Collins watching those All Star games.

Is there a point of the SPP that we must comply with? If we are comfortable with our depth to covering 2021, then we are taking a shot at a talent that grew a load in 2020 and we are getting a leg up on the 2021 draft.

The AFL have introduced so many rules and made up decisions on the run, I am thinking we get first dibs on 3 guys if we like what we see.

Is this another Harry Edwards? Harry was a midfielder and now is a KPD and possible ruck option.

I for one am happy that we are using this route.

We have options if and when we decide Venables is not playing for the first half and assuming Rioli gets at least all of 2021 on the pine.

Would love Patrick Cripps obviously at the club but him staying at Carlton isn't too bad we don't have to sell the farm for him like we did for Kelly at the end of this season, we need a good draft haul at season's end.

Would love Patrick Cripps obviously at the club but him staying at Carlton isn't too bad we don't have to sell the farm for him like we did for Kelly at the end of this season, we need a good draft haul at season's end.
Don't think there's any way we get cripps unless Carlton let him walk for free. We need to use a first round pick this year in the draft

Don't think there's any way we get cripps unless Carlton let him walk for free. We need to use a first round pick this year in the draft

Carlton would need to finish bottom 3 and us finish top 4 for them to not match any offer. They wouldn't match as tier 1 compensation would be more than we could offer them as we can't trade out our first this year.

I predict that Cripps will re-sign with Carlton by mid year. The only incentive he has to leave is to chase a premiership, but Carlton has enough emerging talent to think they should be playing finals in a few years. He won't take the risk. Even if they never make it, he still gets to be Captain, one of their highest paid players and set for life with all their off-field connections.

Now that it seems clubs will start matching RFA bids, my interest in people like Cripps has faded. Will have to pay a kings ransom (ala Cameron) and we can't afford to do that again.

Before Cameron, it seemed clubs didnt want to match but not its started it wont stop.

Now that it seems clubs will start matching RFA bids, my interest in people like Cripps has faded. Will have to pay a kings ransom (ala Cameron) and we can't afford to do that again.
Not that I'm saying that we should go after Cripps, but the circumstances would be entirely different. The cats literally had 3 first rounders this year and could have traded one from next year too, while we won't have access to any (can't trade this year's OR next year's).

If the blues were to match, the end game would be either retention or at least forcing him to go somewhere else that isnt the Eagles by walking him to the draft, as there are no circumstances in which we could satisfy them with picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that I'm saying that we should go after Cripps, but the circumstances would be entirely different. The cats literally had 3 first rounders this year and could have traded one from next year too, while we won't have access to any (can't trade this year's OR next year's).

If the blues were to match, the end game would be either retention or at least forcing him to go somewhere else that isnt the Eagles by walking him to the draft, as there are no circumstances in which we could satisfy them with picks.

I know what you are saying but they'd just make us hand over some firsts via trades. I just can't see it happening on lots of levels. Back in the day of clubs not matching RFA bids then we had a chance.

I know what you are saying but they'd just make us hand over some firsts via trades. I just can't see it happening on lots of levels. Back in the day of clubs not matching RFA bids then we had a chance.

Don't want Cripps - would be a reverse Judd. We'd pay too much and be getting ageing superstar whose body looks like it is going to fall apart fast.

Don't want Cripps - would be a reverse Judd. We'd pay too much and be getting ageing superstar whose body looks like it is going to fall apart fast.
Agree, great player but would be bad list management. Our list needs youth to revitalise, not banged up superstars looking to go out to pasture on big $s. Our window is open for probably only 1 more season, bringing Cripps in in 2022 on big $s and losing out on the 21 draft would have bad ramifications for years to come. Nail that draft and we could be in the window again by 2024/5

Exactly what it would be. Well called.

It could be described as a reverse Judd with Franklin financial overtones.

Any first year player would stand out during Norths pre-season.
Cat Meow GIF - Cat Meow BigLips - Discover & Share GIFs | Cat gif, Cats meow,  Meows

I predict that Cripps will re-sign with Carlton by mid year. The only incentive he has to leave is to chase a premiership, but Carlton has enough emerging talent to think they should be playing finals in a few years. He won't take the risk. Even if they never make it, he still gets to be Captain, one of their highest paid players and set for life with all their off-field connections.

I predict Cripps signs a similar contract as Kelly and Coniglio. A long term deal but with out options as a ufa.

Commits long term, good money but with flexibility to move unrestricted in 2 seasons time.

So Alec Waterman has been offered a contract by the drug cheats.

I just don’t see the rationale behind us not giving him a chance. He’s exactly the type of player we need, a mid/forward type who can help improve our depth with Rioli and Venables out, his brother is already on the list, and he’ll probably keep improving as his tank increases.

But, nah, let’s just trail some 18 year olds no one has ever heard of before.

I just don’t see the rationale behind us not giving him a chance. He’s exactly the type of player we need, a mid/forward type who can help improve our depth with Rioli and Venables out, his brother is already on the list, and he’ll probably keep improving as his tank increases.

He's not what we need really. He's a slow, big bodied flanker and his limited mobility probably not ideal with us having such a tall forward line as it is. Not saying he's a dud, and I wouldnt have minded if we took him but I can see why we we didnt. Essendon are desperate for anyone half resembling a forward so he's well suited to them.

I think there is deep scepticism about his ability to put in the work day in day out to build a tank for AFL football week in week out. Even Alec said he wasn't sure, and he still has days that are better than others.

Best of luck to him though, I hope he can make something of the chance he has been given.

I predict Cripps signs a similar contract as Kelly and Coniglio. A long term deal but with out options as a ufa.

Commits long term, good money but with flexibility to move unrestricted in 2 seasons time.

I've never heard anything about this?

Where did you hear that Kelly and Coniglio have opt out clauses?

I’ve checked the Essendon board and they’ve already created a ‘Waterman to midfield’ thread

Let's be honest, the second (if) something goes wrong with Alec off the field he'll be referred to as "former Eagles star".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back