Follow link below for contract status of all current players

MaxHunt

Premiership Player
Jun 2, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Charlton FC
Has been our most consistent and damaging mid for a while but doesn't get the credit.

Should have won the Norm Smith was definitely in line for AA last year
Shuey played one of the greatest individual efforts in a final (note all finals) for the last 10 years. No chance Sheed was going to get the NS.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Sharp looks much more of a HBF than mid to me. So we’ll probably want him.

Garcia is definitely worth a punt via trade, knee and all. Very skilled.
I would say it was less about skills and more about what they offer to us:
- Sharp has very good skills and decision making and offers outside polish so the wing or attacking half back role
- Garcia has great hands and does his best work at stoppages so an inside mid role would add to our contested ball capacity

I know where I would prioritise my list. All depends on price as neither have had a chance yet at an AFL level

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Has been our most consistent and damaging mid for a while but doesn't get the credit.

Should have won the Norm Smith was definitely in line for AA last year
Is that you Colin Young? Talking up your boy at contract negotiations time.

One kick does not make a Norm Smith Medallist. No way in the world did he more than Shuey.
AA - I could ....... now I know it is you Colin. Sorry I got lured into responding

(Actually no idea who Dom's agent is but it sounds like a Colin thing)

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Bruhn......make it happen.

Still feel Cogs will play for us one day. Mental health something....salary cap.....something!

Looks like Cogs is out for the season the way GWS are talking.

Third time he's hurt that ankle too.

Bloke should just head home, chill out, play football and not bother with leadership roles etc. Come and play for a real club.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
As a reminder, we traded out our R3 to Brisbane and have Port's R2 and Sydney's R3

As it stands today, Sydney 2nd, Port 4th and we are 5th meaning we hold picks

R1 - pick 14
R2 - picks 33 and 34 (Port)
R3 - pick 53 (Syd)
R4 - pick 69

Obviously FA compensation will change this and it includes the Suns Priority pick 19.

As a reminder, we traded out our R3 to Brisbane and have Port's R2 and Sydney's R3

As it stands today, Sydney 2nd, Port 4th and we are 5th meaning we hold picks

R1 - pick 14
R2 - picks 33 and 34 (Port)
R3 - pick 53 (Syd)
R4 - pick 69

Obviously FA compensation will change this and it includes the Suns Priority pick 19.

Forgot that we needed to be death riding Sydney since we swapped future 3rds with them- not looking anywhere near as good a swap as it did a few months ago

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Forgot that we needed to be death riding Sydney since we swapped future 3rds with them- not looking anywhere near as good a swap as it did a few months ago

Those Swans kids will run out of puff come mid season. Running on adrenaline ATM. Start picking up a few bruises and corkies and the young guys start slowing down.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Young team and early days. I had them at the 9 to 15 mark last year and I thing they will be 7 to 12 come season end. So a reduction in what I though but by the time we get to thirds, there is usually little between a pick in the mid 50's to early 60's. Main issue is usually that of points they carry

Yippy Yi Yeo

Premiership Player
Jul 10, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Bloke should just head home, chill out, play football and not bother with leadership roles etc. Come and play for a real club.
Would be nice but didn't he sign a 7 year contract like a year or 2 ago?

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Would be nice but didn't he sign a 7 year contract like a year or 2 ago?

Yep he did. A big one that is $300k pa higher than his real value.

GWS have run a total root with Kelly and Cogs. No player is worth that money. And as soon as they land a contract that big players slack off.

Cogs issue is the captaincy and injuries.

Nov 12, 2006
Subiaco, Perth WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco FC
Is that you Colin Young? Talking up your boy at contract negotiations time.

One kick does not make a Norm Smith Medallist. No way in the world did he more than Shuey.
AA - I could ....... now I know it is you Colin. Sorry I got lured into responding

(Actually no idea who Dom's agent is but it sounds like a Colin thing)

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I have broken my list in 3 - under 22 still developing, 23-27 in their prime and over 27 being in their later phase

Based on that, our Over 27 is cracking hot. We have 8 who have made it to AA and our captain who is a Norm Smith but bot AA. A great spread of KPP and elite mids
View attachment 1094483

It is our 23 to 27 group that worry me. We are light on in talls with only Barrass filling a KPP or ruck and then littered with flankers
View attachment 1094487

Our under 22 is pretty well balances with talls and smalls but short on mids. If Winder and Edwards can join XON and Trew as mids, then last year may have saved us.
View attachment 1094491

I am also less worried about our KPP players in the 23-27 bracket as with Allen, Williams, Brander and Edwards, they look like they will be AFL quality. Jamieson is still too raw to tell.

I believe you can make up for the lack of mids in the 23-27 bracket by targeting players coming off their rookie contracts. These would be the draft year of 2019 which included the likes of Robertson, Sharp, Rivers, Warner, Ruscoe and Garcia. the players are possibly not happy being depth in an interstate club but if they are playing regularly at the AFL level, it will be harder to prise them away. From this list then I would target Robertsen, Sharp, Ruscoe and Garcia as they are not yet cementing a place in the clubs best 22. Garcia especially must be wondering IF he will ever get a chance. Would a second rounder get Robertsen or Sharp? I doubt it given it will likely be a pick in the 30's. Maybe something less with Ruscoe or Garcia purely on the grounds that they have been limited or not playing at all.
Garcia literally just came into full training for the first time since he joined our club. There's no wondering why he's not getting played, he's just been injured. Seriously impressed in the VFL this week despite his lack of proper training, and I'd imagine will debut before the season ends provided he doesn't reinjure his knee (and if that happened, would it even be worth chasing him?)

Get_The_Gaff

Premiership Player
Apr 4, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast
Having a contested possession percentage of less than 30% through underage football.

Players like Billy Hartung, Jimmy Toumpas, James Aish, Patrick Naish and Billy Stretch have very similar statistical profiles to Sharp.

Sharp has a lower CP% than all of them.
Any idea of what gaffs CP% was in his u18s year ? I remember him being very outside

Get_The_Gaff

Premiership Player
Apr 4, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast

Too bad he is on 1million a season . Gws would probably love to offload him now . Hasn't been 1/2 the player he was before he signed

RanaNaved

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Any idea of what gaffs CP% was in his u18s year ? I remember him being very outside
Around 40%. As a junior he won more of his own ball than people gave him credit for.

At the state championships for WA, Sharp won 23% of his possessions in a contested situation and averaged 1.3 tackles a game.

It's possible he has a long AFL career, but history says players with those numbers generally don't amount to much.

Garcia literally just came into full training for the first time since he joined our club. There's no wondering why he's not getting played, he's just been injured. Seriously impressed in the VFL this week despite his lack of proper training, and I'd imagine will debut before the season ends provided he doesn't reinjure his knee (and if that happened, would it even be worth chasing him?)

Maybe not ........ but, with your star studded overflowing midfield, it might be worth chasing the midfielder that he puts out.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Too bad he is on 1million a season . Gws would probably love to offload him now . Hasn't been 1/2 the player he was before he signed

A Treloar situation of sorts but club captain.

Seems like the captaincy came too early and the word is he wanted sole captaincy instead of joint.

GWS is a strange club, would not be surprised if something changes in Cogs mindset in the next year or two.

MarlonBrander

Rookie
Apr 6, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast
A Treloar situation of sorts but club captain.

Seems like the captaincy came too early and the word is he wanted sole captaincy instead of joint.

GWS is a strange club, would not be surprised if something changes in Cogs mindset in the next year or two.

Great read on the captaincy issues at GWS from last year.

I think Cogs thought he was ready, but didn't really understand exactly how hard it would be, and obviously no one expected COVID.

His newest syndesmosis injury is reportedly quite bad and could keep him out for the rest of the season.

I can't help but feel he will be one of the great "what if" stories of the AFL.

Extremely sad when you consider he was earmarked as the "can't miss kid" who would be a future super star and leader.

dinnaz

Club Legend
Dec 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
The biggest target this off season just has to be Deven Robertson. Can barely crack a game at Brisbane and would be putting out similar numbers to Worpel (when played in position)

Get_The_Gaff

Premiership Player
Apr 4, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast
The biggest target this off season just has to be Deven Robertson. Can barely crack a game at Brisbane and would be putting out similar numbers to Worpel (when played in position)
But he has re-signed to Brisbane beyond his draftee contract .
He has obviously settled in as is comfortable with his position with the club .
Also his uncle Darren glass no longer works for west coast .

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

Great read on the captaincy issues at GWS from last year.

I think Cogs thought he was ready, but didn't really understand exactly how hard it would be, and obviously no one expected COVID.

His newest syndesmosis injury is reportedly quite bad and could keep him out for the rest of the season.

I can't help but feel he will be one of the great "what if" stories of the AFL.

Extremely sad when you consider he was earmarked as the "can't miss kid" who would be a future super star and leader.
I remember watching that wafl grand final on TV and thinking this kid was the next Judd

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
I remember watching that wafl grand final on TV and thinking this kid was the next Judd
I recall being at Subi and watching Cogs in the GF as a 16 year old - he took some good Claremont players apart during the game. It was that day when I understood all the Cogs hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back