List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. 2021 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Exactly. The first year we actually have someone who might be a first rounder and if it happens we can't match. Sucks to be us.

And that is what is BS.

Not hard for the AFL to go and do an analysis to see who has benefited more than others from the rules prior to the change. Every bloody year the Swans and Pies seem to benefit and get discounts.

Just go and add up what point discount each club has received and check to see if there are any massive inequalities. If the top side is say 2,000 discounted points in front of the bottom side then do a rec and give the clubs that missed out badly an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder to 'balance the ledger'.

It is a pretty simple math equation.

Then move forward with the rule changes.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
And that is what is BS.

Not hard for the AFL to go and do an analysis to see who has benefited more than others from the rules prior to the change. Every bloody year the Swans and Pies seem to benefit and get discounts.

Just go and add up what point discount each club has received and check to see if there are any massive inequalities. If the top side is say 2,000 discounted points in front of the bottom side then do a rec and give the clubs that missed out badly an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder to 'balance the ledger'.

It is a pretty simple math equation.

Then move forward with the rule changes.
That is a great idea. I suspect Sydney would end up sitting out a draft altogether :tearsofjoy:

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
That is a great idea. I suspect Sydney would end up sitting out a draft altogether :tearsofjoy:

Jokes aside it isn't about taking picks off clubs it is working out who won academy lotto and who didn't.

If you didn't then you get one compo pick in the 2nd or 3rd round to simply even the ledger because now that the ALF changed the rules some teams that have had little to no benefit from academy bid discounts never will where other teams have killed it.

The AFL obviously have buckled under the mounting evidence that the academies have proved some clubs with multiple discounts from multiple FS and academy pick ups.

RanaNaved

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
While we're on the topic of NGA.

Quite a few playing tomorrow.

Hill and Henry for Perth.
Farmer for Subi (seen him, don't rate him).
Humphries for Swans.
Regan and Soka for EP. Baker and Chaichana also for EP but not eligible until next year.

RanaNaved

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
And Bailey Banfield (son of) is playing for Claremont futures.

Bloody hell Sam Fisher ( Swan Districts ) is having a awesome start to this years WAFL season ....on the back of last years Sandover Medal.

Week 1. 33 disposals 6 tackles and a goal.

Week 2. 41 disposals 6 tackles and a goal.

Suggest that the Club should be looking at and tracking the mature ( 23 year old ), ball magnet midfielder, with a big tank for the mid season draft.

Might just be a good time to retire Hutchings it's a harsh balancing act ⚖ a 23 year old on the rise V a 29 year old on the decline.

Oh why the **** I am waisting my breath .......... why would we do that ....... because ....... for every Tim Kelly, Marlion Pickett, Liam Baker, Sam Menegola - midfielder, that we could have , might have taken

There is the Tom Gorter the HBF selection that haunts the recruiters from reaching out and taking another mature WAFL stud.

Back a bit in my post ........... who was the last rising mature midfield WAFL player that we rolled the dice on :gamedie:....... well that would just happen to be the very same Premiership player named above, ......... you guessed it Mark Hutchings

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
Bloody hell Sam Fisher ( Swan Districts ) is having a awesome start to this years WAFL season ....on the back of last years Sandover Medal.

Suggest that the Club should be looking at and tracking the mature ( 23 year old ), ball magnet midfielder, with a big tank for the mid season draft.

Might just be a good time to retire Hutchings it's a harsh balancing act ⚖ a 23 year old on the rise V a 29 year old on the decline.

Oh why the **** I am waisting my breath .......... why would we do that ....... because ....... for every Tim Kelly, Marlion Pickett, Liam Baker, Sam Menegola - midfielder, that we could have , might have taken

There is the Tom Gorter the HBF selection that haunts the recruiters from reaching out and taking another mature WAFL stud.

Back a bit in my post ........... who was the last rising mature midfield WAFL player that we rolled the dice on :gamedie:....... well that would just happen to be the very same Premiership player named above, ......... you guessed it Mark Hutchings

Great post.

Cannot agree any more.

J.Bolton also averaging 35 disposals, 5 tackles and a goal over the first two weeks as well.

Both players should be playing AFL for West Coast.

How Hutchings and Ah Chee have managed to retain places whilst far superior players are left to rot in the WAFL is beyond me.

Play S.Fisher and J.Bolton today in place of Waterman and Winder and I have no doubt today's match against St Kilda becomes a different result.

Unfortunately there are seven more matches to play before we have the chance to pull the trigger at the mid-season draft (not that the club is likely to involve itself in it anyway...)

His name was thrown up last offseason after a dominant Sandover season, either from yourself or several others.

Low and behold he's gone on with his form, will now have several other recruiters looking into him and be snaffled up by someone else with earlier access in the draft than we do because we once again were slow to act (Kelly, Ryan) and instead favored keeping Hutchings on the list yet again, only for him to have a season plagued by injuries. Yet again. And if we suddenly DO get interested in him, we'll likely end up overpaying when he could've been a free hit.

Not sure why we're so against mature age mids from the WAFL these days.

Last edited:

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
His name was thrown up last offseason after a dominant Sandover season, either from yourself or several others.

Low and behold he's gone on with his form, will now have several other recruiters looking into him and be snaffled up by someone else with earlier access in the draft than we do because we once again were slow to act (Kelly, Ryan) and instead favored keeping Hutchings on the list yet again, only for him to have a season plagued by injuries. Yet again. And if we suddenly DO get interested in him, we'll likely end up overpaying when he could've been a free hit.

Not sure why we're so against mature age mids from the WAFL these days.
Easy solution. Venables to the inactive list and use a pick in the mid season draft.

OR, be extremely conservative and do nothing and 'back the boys in'

Let's see how this plays out

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

LewyBroome

Team Captain
Oct 10, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Great post.

Cannot agree any more.

J.Bolton also averaging 35 disposals, 5 tackles and a goal over the first two weeks as well.

Both players should be playing AFL for West Coast.

How Hutchings and Ah Chee have managed to retain places whilst far superior players are left to rot in the WAFL is beyond me.

Play S.Fisher and J.Bolton today in place of Waterman and Winder and I have no doubt today's match against St Kilda becomes a different result.

Unfortunately there are seven more matches to play before we have the chance to pull the trigger at the mid-season draft (not that the club is likely to involve itself in it anyway...)
Bolton is a FIGJAM sort of bloke, was disliked at Collingwood for this and one of the main reason he’s not on a list now. No thanks.

Bolton is a FIGJAM sort of bloke, was disliked at Collingwood for this and one of the main reason he’s not on a list now. No thanks.
Would fit in well given the arrogance we serve up on-field atm.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont

2 major problems that I see
1. He does not have the leadership skills we highly value - I get he failed to go to Guildford, let alone captain the school
2. He focusses too much on contested ball and has failed to show exquisite finishing skills. Probably due to his incorrect priority in tackling that he may be perceived as an abject failure being available on the outside for a bruise free reception

2 major problems that I see
1. He does not have the leadership skills we highly value - I get he failed to go to Guildford, let alone captain the school
2. He focusses too much on contested ball and has failed to show exquisite finishing skills. Probably due to his incorrect priority in tackling that he may be perceived as an abject failure being available on the outside for a bruise free reception

No not a Guilford boy, actually grew up in Canberra and was a NSW Cat B rookie drafted by the Sydney Swans.
He didn't make the second year on to their list and then went down to Melbourne to play for the Northern Knights, as Carlton had shown some interest.
He made the VFL team of the year but missed out again on a list spot at any AFL Club.

So the young lad headed West and joined the Black Ducks last year .......... the rest you know, he won the Sandover Medal last year.

Will we / would we pick him up...... history says most probably not, however he plays in a position that we are short of plug in players on our list and he plays with a style of that we need ie - Inside mid that tackles at the contest and racks up possessions.

My point is that we could do a lot worse and IMO he is the very sort of player that the mid season draft is made for .

I suspect that we will just ride our luck with Hutchings returning at some point in the season.

What worries me about this approach is that Hutchings broke down early TWICE in games last season, he fills me with no confidence as I think his body is shot and he is cooked.

Look he has been a wonderful servant of the Club and none can argue that he hasn't got the very best out of himself in his dedicated AFL career.

But sadly Father Time catches up with all players.

We are currently down three senior Premiership mids:

Shuey who's recurring soft tissue issues are a real concern
Yeo who no one knows if, or when, he will return this year.
Hutchings who's body has shown over the past few seasons that the finish line is rapidly approaching.

Its just seems a smart and pragmatic way, to bolster the insufficiencies of plug in midfield dept outlined above, with a player of Fishers caliber and I am not saying that it has to be him, rather we should look at utilising the mid season draft to address a list gap.

Just my two cents worth.

Last edited:

LewyBroome

Team Captain
Oct 10, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Watching norf v crows gives me the vibes of what we will be in the near future. But we have nowhere near as much quality yoof. Could be revolting.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
He was overlooked by 17 other clubs as well, odds are they know something we don’t. Not to say he couldn’t offer some value but I don’t think any WAFL player would have made a difference to what happened yesterday. We had genuine guns out on the park and didn’t get it done.

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Easy Guest1 - is this what you wanted?

Note that I still have Brander as a KPD and Duggan as a Utility. I will probably review the Mid classification later in the year so not getting het up on whether Edwards and Trew are as I state them, best guess until a decent body of evidence.
View attachment 1096170

I am a visual learner so for me, this picture tells me a lot more than squad listings.

We are very light on with 24 and 27 year olds.

There are no midfielders playing or close to playing aged in the 4 year gap of 22, 23, 24, 25

Interesting - there is only 1 player we drafted under 29 that is a starting midfielder. (Sheed - we traded for the Yeo and Kelly)
Only 3 midfielders still on our list that we drafted are considered best 22. Agree Duggan is starting to look like a mid, I will need another 4 games to be fully there.

6 years of drafting there with what looks likely to become 1 B grade midfielder out of it. This is why games like last night will continue to happen unless we have a full strength midfield on the park.

Exactly this. Bolton doesn't want to be a roleplayer at AFL. He wants to be the man who plays how he wants at wafl level.

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors

Might just be a good time to retire Hutchings it's a harsh balancing act a 23 year old on the rise V a 29 year old on the decline.

We really should move venners to the lti list

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Eastcoasteagle

Premiership Player
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

Saw this, complete performances. Hutch hang them up and let's mid season him.
Love the tackle numbers, works both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back