List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

King, 20, who kicked 1.5 in the Saints’ loss to Geelong last weekend, is reportedly on the verge of signing a four-year extension worth about $750,000 a season.

“The big winner out of this outside of Max, because he’s getting paid upfront on promise, is Oscar Allen,” Healy said on 3AW.

“Because he’s his peer and he’s actually doing what people hope Max will do. I don’t know what contract he’s going to sign, but based on performance he should be $1.2 million.

“He’s twice the player at the moment that Max King is. I think I’m being generous.

“If the All-Australian side was picked right now, Oscar Allen would be in that side. Any position you like. Probably on the bench, but he’s one of the best forwards in the game right now.

“He can go into the ruck as a second ruck and he can play defence, as we’ve seen. But he is a serious unit.

“Max hasn’t proven himself at all, really. Max is a very promising young player — still drops a lot of marks, still misses a lot of goals. I like him as a promising player, but he’s just a promising player.”
Max was also coming back from a major injury too(knee maybe?)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

King, 20, who kicked 1.5 in the Saints’ loss to Geelong last weekend, is reportedly on the verge of signing a four-year extension worth about $750,000 a season.

“The big winner out of this outside of Max, because he’s getting paid upfront on promise, is Oscar Allen,” Healy said on 3AW.

“Because he’s his peer and he’s actually doing what people hope Max will do. I don’t know what contract he’s going to sign, but based on performance he should be $1.2 million.

“He’s twice the player at the moment that Max King is. I think I’m being generous.

“If the All-Australian side was picked right now, Oscar Allen would be in that side. Any position you like. Probably on the bench, but he’s one of the best forwards in the game right now.

“He can go into the ruck as a second ruck and he can play defence, as we’ve seen. But he is a serious unit.

“Max hasn’t proven himself at all, really. Max is a very promising young player — still drops a lot of marks, still misses a lot of goals. I like him as a promising player, but he’s just a promising player.”
Seriously the saints are going to pay king 750k a year ?

Its not that Oscar is worth double that it is king is worth half that

You always pay overs for forwards.
He's getting paid for potential.
Worth every cent IMO.

He's only 20 and is their key forward.
Also, hasn't had the luxury like OA of being behind JD and JK.

This is additional evidence on why they are known around Melbourne as St Blunders.

A club with a sad and tragic record in list management

Helped them win a flag though.
They would look at it as money well spent IMO.

I still don't understand this logic (if that's what it is).
I mean Chris Masten contributed more to our flag in 2018 than Boyd did in 2016 and Masten outperformed Boyd in all other seasons yet he wasn't on anything like $1m for a couple of years.
1 good game and 1 decent game (which is all the Dogs virtually got out of Boyd) doesn't equate to such an absurd contract.

Players without a contract beyond this year :

Priority signings -
Liam Duggan
Jarrod Brander
Josh Rotham
Jack Redden (1 year deal territory though)

Possible retirees -
Shannon Hurn
Josh Kennedy
(R) Dan Venables (pending decision from AFL concussion board)

Form/Development Dependant -
(R) Jamaine Jones (getting awfully close to justifying a new contract already)
Xavier O’Neill (slightly out of favour atm but worth persevering with)
Luke Foley
Ben Johnson
(R) Brendon Ah Chee (the one year king might just survive another cull)
Nathan Vardy (maybe one more year as depth whilst Jamieson develops)
(R) Mark Hutchings (probably time to go)
Brayden Ainsworth (struggle to see how he holds his spot on the list)

Couple of players sweating on an increase in list sizes and/or JK and Bunga retiring because it’s going to get tight otherwise

I still don't understand this logic (if that's what it is).
I mean Chris Masten contributed more to our flag in 2018 than Boyd did in 2016 and Masten outperformed Boyd in all other seasons yet he wasn't on anything like $1m for a couple of years.
1 good game and 1 decent game (which is all the Dogs virtually got out of Boyd) doesn't equate to such an absurd contract.
He was a number 1 pick and a lot of that money was on potential.

We still would've won the the flag without Masto.
Not sure if the Bulldogs would've won the flag without Boyd TBH.
A lot of people reckon he should've won the Norm Smith that day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Priority signings -
Liam Duggan
Jarrod Brander
Josh Rotham

Possible retirees -
Shannon Hurn
Josh Kennedy

Luke Foley
Ben Johnson

Couple of players sweating on an increase in list sizes and/or JK and Bunga retiring because it’s going to get tight otherwise
Ah chee the new McInnes? Lol

Priority signings -
Liam Duggan
Jarrod Brander
Josh Rotham

Possible retirees -
Shannon Hurn
Josh Kennedy

(R) Jamaine Jones (getting awfully close to justifying a new contract already) Upgrade
Xavier O’Neill (slightly out of favour atm but worth persevering with) Retain
Luke Foley 1 more year
Ben Johnson 1 more year
(R) Brendon Ah Chee (the one year king might just survive another cull) Retain
Nathan Vardy (maybe one more year as depth whilst Jamieson develops) 1 more year
(R) Mark Hutchings (probably time to go) Retire (shouldn't be offered a contract)
Brayden Ainsworth (struggle to see how he holds his spot on the list) Delist

That's 4/5 list changes, which is fine given we have 12, 31, 33 and 50 based on current ladder position and without trading.

Last edited:

Priority signings -
Liam Duggan
Jarrod Brander
Josh Rotham

Possible retirees -
Shannon Hurn
Josh Kennedy

Luke Foley
Ben Johnson

I'd be drawing up the contract for Jones, I really like him. He's been really impressive the past 3 weeks, yes the weekend wasn't his biggest game but he pushed up the ground and provides so much pressure around the ball to help out the midfield. Pressure doesn't get you stats but 7 tackles and a goal is exactly the grunt player we need. Doesn't cost us much either.

Vardy, got no idea what he's on but it would be more than a rookie contract. I'd be tempted to look at the WAFL, SANFL or VFL for a mature ruckman and see if there was a potential ruckman of similar quality and take them over Vardy. I feel Vardy is second tier quality now and very injury prone, so it could be a win all round especially if we freed up some $ and got a less injury prone, similar quality ruck. But we'd need a plug and play ruckman (already has the size) that could back up if NN didn't play, to play with Williams.

I'd be drawing up the contract for Jones, I really like him. He's been really impressive the past 3 weeks, yes the weekend wasn't his biggest game but he pushed up the ground and provides so much pressure around the ball to help out the midfield. Pressure doesn't get you stats but 7 tackles and a goal is exactly the grunt player we need. Doesn't cost us much either.

Vardy, got no idea what he's on but it would be more than a rookie contract. I'd be tempted to look at the WAFL, SANFL or VFL for a mature ruckman and see if there was a potential ruckman of similar quality and take them over Vardy. I feel Vardy is second tier quality now and very injury prone, so it could be a win all round especially if we freed up some $ and got a less injury prone, similar quality ruck. But we'd need a plug and play ruckman (already has the size) that could back up if NN didn't play, to play with Williams.
Yeah Vardy and Ah Chee are line ball for me. They both have ability to play at the level, but they're backup players and have hit their ceiling.

Riley Garcia reported by AFL.com to be in discussions on extending at the kennel. Pity- he is just the inside mid we need. Tough in and under sort. I hope we are at least pumping up his price to stretch the Doggies cap.
I'd add that saying he's an inside mid doesn't do him justice, he's also very skilled and loves kicking a snag.

The only reasons why he went so late were his knee injury and concerns over his size.

4 goal game or not, Ah Chee really shouldn't survive another offseason with the picks we've got this year.

Jesus.

There's making the most out of your AFL career, then there's what Brendon Ah Chee has done for the past 10 years.
Him, McGinnity and big Frase are the ultimate contract survivors. They should start up a business that does employment coaching.

To be fair Max king is a couple of years younger and I personally see a lot of talent there. He has already ripped teams apart.

Allen probably has more versatility but not sure about all Australian comment.
He's actually one year and a few months younger, was drafted the year after Allen.

He obviously has a very high ceiling, just needs to stick more marks and kick straighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back