List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

WC don't really need Brander.

Harry, TB, Gov and Rotham aren't being overtaken by him down back.

OA, JD and Waterman are locks you would think up forward post JK. There's also a strong chance Ethan Regan is taken later this year. Another taller, strong marking utility.

Luke Edwards has slotted in on a wing and has a similar running profile to Brander (plus ball winning), and Gaff isn't going anywhere.

Is Brander happy being a fringe player who's called in only when others are injured? Is he okay with not being played in his preferred positions?

It's not a good fit imo. If it were me I'd definitely be leaving for more opportunity.

Given Branders trajectory we’d be nuts to trade him.

Better than half those players you mentioned and would displace Waterman and Rotham comfortably if he was played in the some position. Brings different attributes to the likes of Ledwards with his pace, kicking ability.

Hopefully we’re boring old West Coast this year and just go to the draft and avoid all the stupid talk in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So i heard Matt Johnson has had every club recruiting department interviews this year except West coast . West Coast have talked to him a number of times previously. West Coast think he will be long gone by our first pick
Johnson has been tipped as a top 10 prospect for some 18 months. I would say every club should have interviewed him as they should for every top 10 prospect.

It is prospects like MJ that make clubs question the cost of trading up for an earlier pick.

Do you not think that our team has connections with the Subiaco development team? MJ played a couple of very average games in the Subiaco league side which I suspect the club would be doing to show case him or from requests. The WAFL clubs have to pay additional $$ to elevate a colt and it's not as if Subiaco are short of midfielders.

Relax. I believe our recruiters keep a close tab on elite WA talent.

Better than half those players you mentioned and would displace Waterman and Rotham comfortably if he was played in the some position. Brings different attributes to the likes of Ledwards with his pace, kicking ability.

Hopefully we’re boring old West Coast this year and just go to the draft and avoid all the stupid talk in this thread.

I have been wanting us to play Brander as third tall displacing Rotham. I believe we have been very poor in our development of Brander.

I am with you that he has a high ceiling. Probably not as a winger but for me it is defence.

Is trading for b-grade players the strategy we really should be employing?

Looking at our best 22, we have no holes. There's quality on every line and our depth is fine, despite a wretched run with injuries we've managed to keep winning and are sitting one win out of the top 4.
Bringing in a Clarke or SPS will do nothing for our current premiership push, they won't dislodge anyone in our best 22 or even be 'next in' if (a reasonable amount of) injuries strike.

We also have some good youngsters on our list, some already playing seniors. I feel we need to keep adding to it so that the next premiership push follows close on the heels of the current one.

If Brander or Duggan or anyone else wants to leave, we either need to be asking for a player back of similar ability/potential (and age profile) or early draft picks. Not a player struggling to get a game and a mediocre draft pick to make up the difference.

Both Jamo and Johnson are two kids that I'm more than happy to give a bit more time on our list. Both lost a year of development due to covid and both are physically underdeveloped for their position. They've also shown a bit of promise this season at WAFL level tho. BJ like to break the lines and use his speed to complement his kicking which really excited me but I hope we don't coach it out of him. Been a huge fan of Rotham and it looks like we totally coached that area of his game out of him.
BJ and lines, eh?

Jack Watts thread

I'm not saying we must trade him, but he's kind of a last in, first out player with us.

You say he would comfortably displace Waterman and Rotham......well he hasn't.
Drafted one year later, and they were groomed/earmarked for those roles not Brander.

Again, I'm not saying 'we must trade Brander' particularly after noticeable growth this year.....But, I can see him wanting more opportunities and security.

I was thinking why we have not been great at drafting local WA midfielders. Sheed to me is the only drafted midfielder in our best 22.

Below is a best WA 22 in our team and it shows those who we have traded in blue.

Great talls
Great spine
Good flankers
Crap midfielders.

1624326399094.png

Is it O'Brien based in Melbourne having the say on midfielders?
Does old BOND 007 need to invite Monocle to a few local games to listen to his insights into what is a developing mid? Bond seems to be representing WA talls on list management extremely well.

Do we suffer from going best available when we might be better suited for some picks in going best available midfielder (in order of preference - balances, inside, outside based on current needs).

Given the soft cap, our list teams need to do things cheaper and differently. How about 007 books a room at Lathlain and invite a few interested parties to join up and discuss midfield prospects. Probably only cost the club a few bottles of wine. Just saying.

I was thinking why we have not been great at drafting local WA midfielders. Sheed to me is the only drafted midfielder in our best 22.

Below is a best WA 22 in our team and it shows those who we have traded in blue.

Great talls
Great spine
Good flankers
Crap midfielders.

View attachment 1160997

Does old BOND 007 need to invite Monocle to a few local games to listen to his insights into what is a developing mid? Bond seems to be representing WA talls on list management extremely well.

Do we suffer from going best available when we might be better suited for some picks in going best available midfielder (in order of preference - balances, inside, outside based on current needs).

Given the soft cap, our list teams need to do things cheaper and differently. How about 007 books a room at Lathlain and invite a few interested parties to join up and discuss midfield prospects. Probably only cost the club a few bottles of wine. Just saying.
I'll throw in some top shelf wine on the house to get this happening

Great talls
Great spine
Good flankers
Crap midfielders.

View attachment 1160997

Who's old??? Pfft

I must be one of the few who simply don't rate SPS.

In fact i'll say it. He's sh*t. I'd towel him up with a fend off myself then make him look silly with a shake and bake.

Just don't think he impacts games or does anything special as an AFL player whatsoever. Lots of 15m dinky kicks.

15 touches and 1 tackle a game in 2021.

Would take Brander every day of the week by the length of Pav's nose.
No your not, I feel the same, every game I've ever seen him in he's done JS, hope WC don't go anywhere near him.

Would think the last thing we would do is tie up money on middling prospects we pick up via trade. We should be considering who we can target in 2022/2023 when we start seeing salary gap relief as the oldies either retire or start moving onto scaled down contracts. We will have a window then with a bigger warchest to go hard for a big name. Who's going to be a WA gun hitting free agency then?

Great talls
Great spine
Good flankers
Crap midfielders.

View attachment 1160997

A few bottles of wine chardonnay, or read (and chuckle) at this thread for free.

No one manages the soft cap like the Eagles :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This Saad v Hind article has me thinking whether we keep Petruccelle as a small forward or use his pace as someone who breaks lines out of defence. I recall seeing him play for Vic Metro in defence in a game at Subiaco.

What we do not have is anyone who will take the game on running through the centre corridor. Sheed is often in the corridor but not what I’d call with line breaking speed. Watching the way Essendon look for him, I can see we would have players to feed him and it would add another dimension to the slow chip around exit from defence!!!!
Tbf this is what Rotham should have been. Not as quick as those blokes but his kicking him as dangerous. Now we’ve coached him natural instinct and trying to turn him into a third tall.

Also it’s hard to let Petch play an unaccountable role when Witho is in the side too.

Would think the last thing we would do is tie up money on middling prospects we pick up via trade. We should be considering who we can target in 2022/2023 when we start seeing salary gap relief as the oldies either retire or start moving onto scaled down contracts. We will have a window then with a bigger warchest to go hard for a big name. Who's going to be a WA gun hitting free agency then?

Not a FA but we surely would be saving some $$ to land Jackson as a Nic replacement in 2 - 3 years?

Looking at our best 22, we have no holes. There's quality on every line and our depth is fine, despite a wretched run with injuries we've managed to keep winning and are sitting one win out of the top 4.
Bringing in a Clarke or SPS will do nothing for our current premiership push, they won't dislodge anyone in our best 22 or even be 'next in' if (a reasonable amount of) injuries strike.

We also have some good youngsters on our list, some already playing seniors. I feel we need to keep adding to it so that the next premiership push follows close on the heels of the current one.

If Brander or Duggan or anyone else wants to leave, we either need to be asking for a player back of similar ability/potential (and age profile) or early draft picks. Not a player struggling to get a game and a mediocre draft pick to make up the difference.

You can't just lump 'young player struggling for a game = not worth looking at'.

It depends on the young player and the team he is struggling to break into.

Example - Ugle-Hangan. If he nominated the Eagles you wouldn't be interested because he is young and can't force his way into the Dogs team?

Yes I note you said B grade players but when you are young you are unproven.

The AFL exchange thing about us was Twomey explaining why we can't trade our first this year, unless we get another one from somewhere :sleepsymbol:

Last first rounder we used was on Brander in 2017.

Duggan only one of interest coming OOC, WCE will want to make that a priority. Twomey doesn't think he'll leave.

Also shone the spotlight (unfortunately) on Regan, 192cm forward coming through our next gen academy. Outside the top 20 predictions at this point, which is how we want it to stay. Mentioned Humphries briefly.

Couple idiots added that Free Agency isn't really our thing as we've only ever signed Xavier Ellis previously. Players also took the paycut with the guarantee we wouldn't chase a big fish like Patrick Cripps. Also suggests our salary cap is stretched pretty thin.

We've also topped up by adding Withers, Langdon and Jones which costed us very little over the last couple seasons and they are play regularly.

Aaaaaaand that's about it. Twomey thinks we won't in it :sleepsymbol:
Ethan Regan . Why is he our academy . Is he Irish ? Are we really likely to draft him . Is he any good ?

I think it depends on the definition of B grade.

Most people will agree on the A graders, but does that then mean all others are equal - or are there C and D graders also.

For instance Duggan might not be an A grader in the opinion of most - but at worst he's a B grade. Would/should we trade for that sort/quality of player that fits a need - absolutely (noting the cost is quite high).

But both Clark and Brander (and SPS) are a rung below that standard currently - I would call them C graders (AFL quality, solid contributors, yet to elevate their game to the next level). Do we want to spend time an energy trading for players in that category. I would agree with you and say probably not as we have those players on our list already (Brander, Cole, Nelson, LEdwards, HEdwards, Williams etc). Obviously some of these will move into the B category, and hopefully into A graders - so there is a case to look at other clubs C Graders to see who might be able to elevate (which is what I believe happened with Witherden - the proof will be in the pudding, but clearly the recruiters see him improving with time).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back