List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

Think ive asked before but what kind of player is Ethan?

Half forward / mid he is a bit of a utility player.

I believe he would be a good get, for the list.

Well to be fair almost all the decent footballers are pulled up into private schools on scholarships anyway. There's a reason these schools a football factories, it's not because all their parents are rich and happen to live in the area.

The insinuation is they will have less issues and not need the support or supervision of public school kids. For a club that has Cousins and Gardiner as leaders at one point and then has had NN be the face of the club, its a real simplistic, basic, and pretty classist attitude, even if he just passing for an increase in the soft cap.

A lot of our supporters will probably be okay with the idea of keeping the riff raff out, but Simo should choose how words better.

Good question. No idea, one of our cartoon draft guns Monocle AsterixTheGaul will know.

If that's the case you'd be hoping a third year AFL mid would've shown a bit more by now, to be given another 2 years in the system.

I like XON, but i was hoping this year would've yielded some meaningful improvement, and it hasn't.

View attachment 1184234
Xon doesn't get any meaningful midfield time at afl level .
I do like the look of him at wafl level when he plays in the guts.

He has attributes other lack . Wins clearances, has pace out of the contest and on the spread , tackles well and gets meaningful forward 50 entries.

I don't mind 2 year deal as it is probably well below afl average $ .

He is not even 21 yet

or a Rioli :eek:
Bad call. Willie Rioli went to multiple private schools (St John’s in Darwin, Xavier College in Melbourne and then Clontarf in WA). Cyril went to Scotch College in Melbourne.

I know what you’re insinuating but not the best choice of examples there.

Xon doesn't get any meaningful midfield time at afl level .
I do like the look of him at wafl level when he plays in the guts.

He has attributes other lack . Wins clearances, has pace out of the contest and on the spread , tackles well and gets meaningful forward 50 entries.

I don't mind 2 year deal as it is probably well below afl average $ .

He is not even 21 yet
He gets plenty of midfield time at AFL level, but has no impact so you wouldn’t be able to tell. I would have been fine with him being cut, but at least he now has ample time to work on his deficiencies

Yes it does, if they are taken in the first 20 then the QLD and NSW teams miss out, as they don't get the right to match, the only picks any Club get to match, in the first 20, are the Father Son prospects.
Wow the gravey train has come to an end and we didn't even get 1 .

What do you think of Jesse motlop ?
Freo NGA that is in Twomey's draft team of the year now .

Top 20 ?

He gets plenty of midfield time at AFL level, but has no impact so you wouldn’t be able to tell. I would have been fine with him being cut, but at least he now has ample time to work on his deficiencies
If you call occasionally coming of the square plenty of midfield time.

Or getting to be part of our zone defence in the midfield plenty of time.

He rarely plays on the ball at afl level

At wafl level he is probably our best centre bounce mid with clean , effective clearances .

I think he is still only 20 so that's 2 more preseasons to show his worth

Last edited:
If you call occasionally coming of the square plenty of midfield time.

Or getying to be part of our zone defence in the midfield plenty of time.

He rarely plays on the ball at afl level

At wafl level he is probably our best centre bounce mid with clean , effective clearances .

I think he is still only 20 so that's 2 more preseasons to so his worth
It’s still midfield time if he’s playing an outside role, but you are correct that he doesn’t spend much time on ball at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to see Trew developed a tagger for a few season. Seems like he wins a lot of his possessions in tight but would be a very good opportunity for him to learn the craft by following the best mids in the comp around. Also the campaignerness about him should bode well as a tagger

Sure players at 18 need development and a plan.

Interesting read on why Ollie Wines is having his best year ever. He's gone back to doing what he does well. Contesting the inside ball. Mentioned he lost his way a bit trying to be everything, inside, outside, link player and anything else asked of him.

This year he and the coaches have kept things simple, remembered what he is very good at and is killing it.

After reading that I thought of how many players we are playing outside their natural game and not to their strengths. Gaff, Brander, Allen and Waterman come to mind.

Sure players at 18 need development and a plan.

Interesting read on why Ollie Wines is having his best year ever. He's gone back to doing what he does well. Contesting the inside ball. Mentioned he lost his way a bit trying to be everything, inside, outside, link player and anything else asked of him.

This year he and the coaches have kept things simple, remembered what he is very good at and is killing it.

After reading that I thought of how many players we are playing outside their natural game and not to their strengths. Gaff, Brander, Allen and Waterman come to mind.
Tbf I think thats been an issue at Port Adelaide. Boak was out of form for a while while they stuck him at HFF and then he goes into AA mode when he moved into the middle. I thibk our issues in the middle has a lot to do with the structure it self and thats why I think Hickmott needs to go

I dont mind picking up a potential Brownlow medalist from the Public School System. (for example: Shane Woewodin)
or a Rioli :eek:
Good one though some Riolis are private school boys, but that shows the social status does not define your ability to be a good citizen or a good footballer.
I was wondering whether Simmo was a private school boy. He might be just sarcastic about the whole situation.

Edit: Our great John Worsfold was from South Fremantle Senior High.

You’re almost talking about a different era though. Back then players weren’t required to be as professional and stay out of trouble as much as they do now. Clubs don’t want the dramas of kids who aren’t going to toe the line and cause bad publicity. I’m not saying I agree with Simmo although the article was full of sarcasm and he basically said we don’t want to have to draft all kids from a two parent home as that type of player could get boring. Players from high risk backgrounds often produce the most exciting footy but if clubs aren’t effectively resourced with the staff to be able to deal with the mental health and ‘character’ issues that are more likely to come with kids from these lower socio-economic backgrounds, then they will have no choice. It makes sense but he was more having a dig at the AFL for cutting costs to footy departments.

I'm more critical of XON's WAFL form rather than his AFL form. It's solid, and something to build on, but i rarely walk away from a WAFL game thinking he's been one of our best players. His AFL stints have been the same. I've liked what i've seen, but he hasn't 'really' improved.

It's confidence more than anything, and unfortunately for us XON had a potato reserves comp in 2020 due to COVID, and is now asked to step up each week playing with amateurs. I would've been happier with just the 1 year extension, but now that i think about it, some slack needs to be given.

West came in and was/is instantly hands down our best Beagles player and midfield depth. He's impacted our WAFL team the second he joined it with his intensity, hard running, tackling and competitiveness. Not only that, he stepped straight into AFL level and took all of that with him showing little fuss.

West didn't cost us pick 28 in the national draft either. In fact he cost us absolutely nothing. A packet of peanuts. Perhaps that's why i'm less patient with XON.

I hope this type of thing is discussed with our recruitment strategy going forward. That we need to give more WAFL mature age players a chance, rather than invest so much into young draftees who, after several years in the system, may not develop as you'd hope they would in the lower grades. See Ainsworth.

You’re almost talking about a different era though. Back then players weren’t required to be as professional and stay out of trouble as much as they do now. Clubs don’t want the dramas of kids who aren’t going to toe the line and cause bad publicity. I’m not saying I agree with Simmo although the article was full of sarcasm and he basically said we don’t want to have to draft all kids from a two parent home as that type of player could get boring. Players from high risk backgrounds often produce the most exciting footy but if clubs aren’t effectively resourced with the staff to be able to deal with the mental health and ‘character’ issues that are more likely to come with kids from these lower socio-economic backgrounds, then they will have no choice. It makes sense but he was more having a dig at the AFL for cutting costs to footy departments.
It has nothing to do with era.
All organisations with community responsibilties should be mindful of what they said and done. There might be a change in strategies for human resources (in this case footballer recruitment) due to financial or other good reasons, but the selection criteria should still stay with those selection criteria, like football skill, learnng ability, leadership, starting salary etc. None of them should relate to which school they are going to.
Most of those sexism and racism issues were caused by people adopting the wrong judging criteria.

Anyone got access
On the lastest Duff and Qtrs pod, Mark Readings seemed pretty sure Jordan Clark wants to play for WC. He did say whether that's possible is another thing
Surely we still have trade credits from trading two first rounds, pick 24 and 37 for Kelly. Should be Free.

Yes it does, if they are taken in the first 20 then the QLD and NSW teams miss out, as they don't get the right to match, the only picks any Club get to match, in the first 20, are the Father Son prospects.
Year after is top 40 picks, no academy picks. But Sydney wouldn't care they already got: Mills, Heeney, Gulden, Blakey and Braeden Campbell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back