Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

BOND 007

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2008
Near the beach
Which one are we?

Some teams have a game plan that involves multiples of below & those teams occupy the top positions on ladder.

-- overlaping run from behind using handball to break through and kick over defensive lines
-- quick decisive ball movement through the shortest route to goal
-- multiple players arriving first to stop ball situations

Is this WC?

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Some teams have a game plan that involves multiples of below & those teams occupy the top positions on ladder.

-- overlaping run from behind using handball to break through and kick over defensive lines

Is this WC?
None of the above unfortunately.

Geez JK has still kicked 36 goals in 16 games and leading our goalkicking. You cant just replace him like that.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Playing him another year will hinder the development of the younger talls.

Part of why Oscar Allen has fallen off a cliff second half of this year is his body is beaten up from plugging gaps over the rest of the ground, mostly in the ruck. If Kennedy moves on Allen has a permanent spot in the forward line and his lpmg term development will be better for it.

Do we also achieve anything by giving him another season? If we were contending I'd keep him, but we aren't trending in the right direction to justify keeping him on.

Kennedy is 35 next year, been a great servant for the club but father time catches up with everyone.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers, South Fremantle
Geez JK has still kicked 36 goals in 16 games and leading our goalkicking. You cant just replace him like that.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
That's just over 2 goals a game. Not a great average for a spearhead. The last three seasons have been around the same mark,

I love JK as a player, and he's been tremendous for us over a long time, but to be a real premiership threat we need our number one forward to average more goals per game than that. Especially as Jack Darling is only averaging 1.8 goals a game this year...

salo

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast

Is this WC?

Seems to me teams playing in this style are found at both ends of the ladder. How consistently and how well they can do it might determine where they sit though.

I feel like there was some intent to play faster, more directly and with run/carry/handball from half back last week but we didn't sustain that effort beyond the first quarter. I just can't fathom that our talent is incapable of playing that way, so it must be the instruction. Why it hasn't been addressed boggles the mind.

salo

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
They arent being carried. If anything they are doing the carrying. Both are having good seasons and should play on.

Both recognised as club legends but unlikely to play a role in a rebuild, which is what a growing number of fans see as the only way out of the current mess.

It's not getting talked about but I do wonder if we've reverted to being too Kennedy-centric in attack.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Both recognised as club legends but unlikely to play a role in a rebuild, which is what a growing number of fans see as the only way out of the current mess.

It's not getting talked about but I do wonder if we've reverted to being too Kennedy-centric in attack.
I dont believe pushing two of our best players out the door helps us. Do we need to rebuild or do we need a new coaching philosophy, good preseason and reinvigorated gameplan?

BOND 007

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2008
Near the beach
Seems to me teams playing in this style are found at both ends of the ladder. How consistently and how well they can do it might determine where they sit though.

I feel like there was some intent to play faster, more directly and with run/carry/handball from half back last week but we didn't sustain that effort beyond the first quarter. I just can't fathom that our talent is incapable of playing that way, so it must be the instruction. Why it hasn't been addressed boggles the mind.

There is no good playing run & stun footy if the skill isn't capable.

Look at WC's talent from front to back end - does the whole equal the sum of the parts?

There is no good playing run & stun footy if the skill isn't capable.

Look at WC's talent from front to back end - does the whole equal the sum of the parts?

It looks like the players have lost trust in the method and each other.

We are a genuine rabble.

Jumpoff Joey

Team Captain
Aug 1, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Personally, I think we had our shot and could have achieved more but atleast we hit the pinnacle in 18. I'd rather us clear the deadwood and invest in youth for the inevitable rebuild that every club face. Today's performance was pitiful

Rubbish. Some teams play to win others play not to lose.

I find this comment curious, if you do work at the club.....It doesnt seem to be the most productive environment at the moment. Almost seems like the drums are beating fernando, I mean Simpson.

Did someone say Clarkson? "KFC" voice

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
Simmo in his presser was totally in a land of pain. Seemingly doesn't know what to do next, flummoxed. From one of the fittest teams going around to the least, I smell something is not right. No will from the players to put in, Nik Nat excluded.

shan76

Rookie
Sep 22, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Our recruiters at WCE seem to have an obsession with drafting Talls and Half Backs. Can you name the last two quality midfielders drafted by West Coast?

BOND 007

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2008
Near the beach
Personally, I think we had our shot and could have achieved more but atleast we hit the pinnacle in 18. I'd rather us clear the deadwood and invest in youth for the inevitable rebuild that every club face. Today's performance was pitiful

I find this comment curious, if you do work at the club.....It doesnt seem to be the most productive environment at the moment. Almost seems like the drums are beating fernando, I mean Simpson.

Did someone say Clarkson? "KFC" voice

I think everyone in the club would be frustrated with what is being dished up from such a talented group.
I have also seen 1st hand when teams stop playing decisive instinctive football & start playing reactively & second guess themselves. That is why I said what I did.

Confidence is very easily lost & much harder to gain.

Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I think everyone in the club would be frustrated with what is being dished up from such a talented group.
I have also seen 1st hand when teams stop playing decisive instinctive football & start playing reactively & second guess themselves. That is why I said what I did.

Confidence is very easily lost & much harder to gain.

Do you work at the club? General vibe of this board seems to have been that you do, for whatever reason.

If so, surely those in the internal walls can see what is obvious to everyone else that has watched football for more than a few years and hasn't been hit over the head with a hammer.

The. Gameplan. Has. Been. Worked. Out.

Try anything different for the rest of the year. We ain't winning s**t playing this way because everyone knows what we are doing. Just do something different for the remaining 3 rounds, PLEASE.

Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I know everyone wants inside mids and we definitely need one but i think a hard running outside mid should be just as high a priority.
Willie can play the inside mid role fairly well i think,he's so good in traffic
With gaff getting on we need to find his successor and even right now the opposite wing from him is a problem

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I have serious reservations about us basing our recruiting on an expectation that Rioli can effectively fill a role as an inside mid. Big questions about his application, fitness, plus there is no evidence that he could consistently find the ball on a weekly basis in sufficient number. Plus he is invaluable forward with his creativity. As a pinch hitter he is pretty good, but I'd be very surprised if he could become a consistent good inside mid. He's also 26 so we are still left with a gaping hole between 19 & 25.

Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
From Marc McGowan today about out of contract Eagles

Xavier O’Neill is no longer on the market since signing a two-year deal. Duggan is also looking at a multi-year contract, while Rotham and Foley are set to extend their stays as well. Redden has conceded he would have to be satisfied with a one-year deal. Brander is one of the Eagles’ most intriguing prospects who has always held appeal at rival teams, but is happy where he is. Spearhead Kennedy has not ruled out extending his career into a 17th season, while Hurn wants to play again next year. Ah Chee was in the team pre-hand injury but Ainsworth is out of the senior side and could be touch and go. Venables’ concussion issues could spell the end for him
"but Ainsworth is out of the senior side and could be touch and go" Gee he's really gone out on a limb there

Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I think the 2 guys Id like for us to look at would be Dunstan from the saints and Lipinski from the dogs. Both free agents
Sorry, but I think yuk and yuk. Draft draft draft! We need young talent, have none. Both are fringe players. They will improve our team moderately at best. We've bought in enough average recycled players of late thanks who've added very little.

Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
For example

Gov: Gee Nizzy/Vozzo my body is cooked and I don't have the drive to prepare as elite as I should be to perform at the level you guys thought I could when you signed me for big bucks

Nizzy/Vozzo: That's too bad gov sorry to hear that. By the way Gold Coast are offering you 1mil a year for the next 5. If you're keen we can explore, otherwise just say the word and you wont hear about it again. You've done so much for the club mate we're happy to keep you on the books.

Gov: This clubs done so much for me its unfair of me to stay maybe I head over east for a few years and come back in time for the kids just starting primary school and have some generational wealth behind me.

Or an option that might work:

Vozzo/O'Brien: Hey Gold Coast I see that you are paying B.Ellis and Atkins about $1m a year combined for the next 3 years. Neither of them are much good. Why don't you just replace them with 4 x AA Gov who will also cost you $1m a year. You just send your first and second picks our way (remember when you traded pick 2 for Weller).

Gold Coast: That is literally the best trade deal we have ever done. We're in.

Vozzo: Gov, Gold Coast have agreed to pay you $1m for an extra year. What do say?

Gov: Hmmm not sure, they're pretty shite.

Vozzo: You can keep the HJ's vouchers and we'll let you play on Darling each time you play us.

Gov: Sign me up.

Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Playing him another year will hinder the development of the younger talls.

Part of why Oscar Allen has fallen off a cliff second half of this year is his body is beaten up from plugging gaps over the rest of the ground, mostly in the ruck. If Kennedy moves on Allen has a permanent spot in the forward line and his lpmg term development will be better for it.

Do we also achieve anything by giving him another season? If we were contending I'd keep him, but we aren't trending in the right direction to justify keeping him on.

Kennedy is 35 next year, been a great servant for the club but father time catches up with everyone.
Kennedy has been my favourite eagle for many years now but sadly I agree that it is time for us to move on. We are not a premiership chance now and it's time for Allen to play permanent forward as the #1 or #2 target.

The_Gambler

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2009
Omaha, in middle America
AFL Club
West Coast
Kennedy has been my favourite eagle for many years now but sadly I agree that it is time for us to move on. We are not a premiership chance now and it's time for Allen to play permanent forward as the #1 or #2 target.

allen hasnt taken a mark or had a kick in ages. He is injured, needs rest. There’s no way he can play Kennedy’s role which often is a two on one position.

the best we’ve ever looked is with Ryan at full forward. Keep Allenup the ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back