List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

His ball handling has improved, his kicking has improved, his possession count is slowly going up and in the slowest team in the competition he has pace.

Get real. He's far from our best player, but also far from our worst.

If we can teach him to tackle he'd be an auto selection every week.
Surprisingly he tends to get more tackles than our midfielders, which isn't saying much...

Agree to disagree. Rotham has been poor at times this year. Pads his stats with cheap kicks in defence. Cannot defend anyone over 188 cm
Reckon we’ve ruined him tbh. With experience and with age I can see him being a better defender of talls but my biggest concern with him is that we’ve totally coached out his natural game and he looks timid offensively. Kid was drafted as running back flanker that breaks the line with his run and carry but also with his kicking. We should have turned him into a Brodie Smith type player rather than a mid size lockdown player.

His ball handling has improved, his kicking has improved, his possession count is slowly going up and in the slowest team in the competition he has pace.

Get real. He's far from our best player, but also far from our worst.

If we can teach him to tackle he'd be an auto selection every week.

I didn't say I wanted his contract torn up.

Reckon we’ve ruined him tbh. With experience and with age I can see him being a better defender of talls but my biggest concern with him is that we’ve totally coached out his natural game and he looks timid offensively. Kid was drafted as running back flanker that breaks the line with his run and carry but also with his kicking. We should have turned him into a Brodie Smith type player rather than a mid size lockdown player.
Yeah, we have this obsession with drafting one type of player to turn them into the exact opposite.

Totally useless development/recruiting.

I take it that in spite of us having zero run and flair from the backline that Ben Johnson will likely be delisted without even being given a single game?

We let Nic Reid pull the jumper on FFS.
He needs Duggan to submit a fake urine sample, Cole to get long term concussion symptoms, Nelson to have chronic injuries while looking at going to Brisbane and Rotham to do his hammie every fortnight. Then he'll get a go.

Yeah, we have this obsession with drafting one type of player to turn them into the exact opposite.

Totally useless development/recruiting.
I know Simmo had a mantra when he came on that players needed to be flexible and versatile but this is legit too far the other way. They should have developed Rotham to be the best at what he is good at while working on other parts of his game. It's no secret that the comp is littered with 190-194 tall players that don't play like key position players. I'd go as far as saying that Rothams agility and pace is as good as player 10cm shorter than he is.

Over the preseason we need to help him find confidence in his own game. He's be a real weapon for us getting +20 possies a game with his kicking and run and carry

Brander not named against Melbourne despite us naming 8 on interchange. After 33 possessions for the Beagles, and with another tame performance by the Eagles against Collingwood, he’d be pretty disappointed. If he’s not injured, everything points to him leaving.
Or the club knows he is going and just giving others a go ahead of him.

To be honest Ledwards has already passed him at the wing role

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or the club knows he is going and just giving others a go ahead of him.

To be honest Ledwards has already passed him at the wing role
I like Luke Edwards. I like Brander too.

I think our development of Brander has been poor. He’ll leave the club at the end of the year. Hopefully we get something decent for him. I think the best we could hope for would be a mid 20s draft pick. The worst case scenario would see North try to pick him up in the pre-season draft.

When he’s at another club all the questions of posters on this board will be answered. Is he slow? Is he soft? Is he a poor kick? Can he take a contested mark? Can he play a key position?
It’s going to be very interesting to follow his progress. Let’s hope our club read this right.

Think I’ve said this before but Brander’s career to date gives me Brent Staker vibes. 6’5”, used all over the ground, never nailed down a position, seen (rightly or wrongly) as not loving the hard stuff enough.

Staker ended up being traded for not much, and probably would have been a permanent key defender at Brisbane if he hadn’t done his knee twice while he was there.

Think I’ve said this before but Brander’s career to date gives me Brent Staker vibes. 6’5”, used all over the ground, never nailed down a position, seen (rightly or wrongly) as not loving the hard stuff enough.

Staker ended up being traded for not much, and probably would have been a permanent key defender at Brisbane if he hadn’t done his knee twice while he was there.

Brander to Rotham's spot, Rotham to wing?

Totally agree on that too.

You seem to have a real dislike for Rotham.

IMO he's one of our better prospects, just need to let him play his natural game. And we have a gameplan based on tackling not corralling.

His last month has been poor, but he is young and as you point out - his errors seem to come when he is doing something other than his natural game (mainly kicking backwards and trying to be very conservative with the ball).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back