Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
The harsh reality with list management is that the AFL have made it mandatory to use three live picks, although a rookie elevation counts as a live pick.

Consequently when there are only a few retirements or requests for a trade, then there is little margin for list movement.
Sometimes it simply comes down to the luck of the draw, as to when you become out of contract as to who gets cut.

I think we already know that new main list spots are are going to be tight this year with JK and Bunga playing on.

Our list badly needs an influx of some quality young kids but you can’t have that with out bidding other players goodbye.

IMO, because we have cashed in draft capital for established players the last few years, it’s now become imperative that we start the refresh in earnest, as there are some alarming holes starting to appear in our lists demographics.
We need to draft at least two players every year for the next three years that become - 2025 and onwards best 22 and history tells us that’s not an easy thing to do, nailing two picks per draft that have both list longevity and best 22 capability.

Interesting times ahead.

Good post, I think we have some currency to put on the open market and see if any clubs are interested but it's not who we are. Gov, Sheed, Duggan, Cole, nelson, Petch are all players I would actively put up to see what could be on offer in regards to draft picks.
but like I said it is just not the type of club we are.

And I have no doubt Simmo and the club are genuinely trying to snatch another flag next year. So They are going to back them in again.

Wouldnt surprise me if half the posters in here taking a dump on Kelly were parading him as their avatar a couple of seasons ago. Literally no one thought it was a bad move to grab him at the time.

Look, I know he's only played for the club for 2 seasons, but we should have have won at least 3 flags with him by now.

Feb 9, 2012
PERTH
AFL Club
West Coast
We all know we underachieved the last few seasons, the core of the list is still good, we just need a bit of luck with injuries. I reckon we’ve got one to two more seasons of pushing for top 4, then start again. Hopefully the new coaches and a long summer help to make some tweaks in the game plan and give some comfortable players a bit of a kick up the butt. Could be Cats of 06/7 or Richmond of 2016/17, where the coach was under pressure, club stuck by him, a lot of changes around him with assistants, and it all payed off. No reason that can’t happen to us for next year. I’m pretty optimistic that it’s not quite the end of the road just yet for this group.

The_Gambler

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2009
Omaha, in middle America
AFL Club
West Coast
You called them midfield depth.
You also can't cut a 3rd of your list.
The majority of list cloggers you're talking about are probably under contract.

O’Neill not contract
West no contract
Duggan no contract
Brander no contract
Ainsworth no contract
Lost hutchings and ah chee…
Who is the next pick when shuey does a hamstring and someone else gets injured if none of these players sign? We seriously lack any depth in the midfield. Those tensing lucky to be playing WAFL

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Wouldnt surprise me if half the posters in here taking a dump on Kelly were parading him as their avatar a couple of seasons ago. Literally no one thought it was a bad move to grab him at the time.

Still don't think it was a bad move, just feel for him having to play with so many plebs.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
We all know we underachieved the last few seasons, the core of the list is still good, we just need a bit of luck with injuries. I reckon we’ve got one to two more seasons of pushing for top 4, then start again. Hopefully the new coaches and a long summer help to make some tweaks in the game plan and give some comfortable players a bit of a kick up the butt. Could be Cats of 06/7 or Richmond of 2016/17, where the coach was under pressure, club stuck by him, a lot of changes around him with assistants, and it all payed off. No reason that can’t happen to us for next year. I’m pretty optimistic that it’s not quite the end of the road just yet for this group.

Injuries don't help no doubt about that but all clubs get injuries. Our biggest issue is hunger and drive to win at all cost. It is not there and the playing group play with the least amount of interest I have ever seen from any sporting group.
The lack of want is just written all over their faces. Until they can address this major issue then it won't matter an ounce who is on the park.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
$259k actually tough guy. First time you’ve been wrong in your life eh?

The average was $386k before covid cuts. $400.

Post covid it has been reported saying $259k. A 25% drop? And the Eagles stated players took a bigger 7% cut.

Something doesn't add up.

So who's right?

Grahame

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
The obvious answer to me is to tap JK and Hurn on the shoulder.

I can see us finishing 5th-8th next year with them and bemoaning another nothing year.

Agree. Much as I am a huge fan of both players I can remember other post-premiership years and there is a natural tendency to hang on to the players who got you there. "Loyalty." However, this is when the squad should still be up there talent-wise and so should be after at least one more GF.

JK and Hurn are only playing at 80%(?) of their glory days. This might be good enough to play a full season at GC or NM. But I can't see them helping bridge the gap between being mid table (or bottom of eight) and winning a GF. (Look at how Haw managed Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis - all past, present or future captains.)

The other factor is the list profile. We just have too many tall forwards. The current setup doesn't maximise OAllens development and also makes it hard for the ruck to 'rest' forward (which then brings all the Qs about 'do we need a 2nd ruck? who? etc). With one less tall forward it may also clarify Waterman's role.
Similarly, Hurn doesn't seem to punish teams with his kicking as much now. And he ain't gonna get faster. Besides we have lots of HBFs.

The last issue is that we are not going to have a very different list next year by the looks of it. And talent wasn't the big problem this year. So no matter how much we make minor tweaks unless we can recharge the players, new game plan etc then it won't matter what our list looks like.

So if the list isn't changing much then maybe some players need to be repurposed for new positions. TB and Gov used to scare the bejesus out of oppositions but now the chaos-ball style just goes straight past them. If HEdwards were to come in what else could we do with Gov or TB? Could Sheed be faster if less bulky (given he doesn't use his bulk like Yeo does). Could Shuey be a small forward? Could one of small forwards become a midfielder? Etc.

Same old, same old will only bring the same result (and disappointment).

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Pretty much nobody's advocating poaching a player(there'll always be a couple), we all know that.

You're saying our cap's f’ed due to the Kelly deal, then you're suddenly saying it's not because we've not lost players (other than Vardy) to the cap squeeze like other clubs.

What point are you trying to make? It's either screwed or it isn't. Being unable to poach a player due to not being able to fit inside the cap isn't bad management, especially when the club promised the players it wouldn't be doing that in the first place. The club's been consistent with its messaging.

The club also stated we wouldn't trade in established players unless a player of similar value was traded out.

That was the agreement with the 7% cut.

And it looks like Brander and Cameron are leaving and no they wouldn't be on rookie dollars.

So if we lose a couple do we hit the draft or trade in another Witherden type looking for opportunity that won't cost big $$$$. One example Ben Long.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2006
Perth Central
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NY Giants, UM Wolverines
I’d put Hurn on the rookie list before Rotham.

Hurn would understand the predicament. Putting Rotham there would mean that he’s in the bottom quarter of our list which I just don’t think is true (or fair).

I’d put Hurn on the rookie list before Rotham.

Hurn would understand the predicament. Putting Rotham there would mean that he’s in the bottom quarter of our list which I just don’t think is true (or fair).

I know it’s just the way it works, but it greatly annoys me that we could legitimately put our all-time games record holder on something called the “rookie list”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back