List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

The SPS situation is quite simple i don't know why you guys keep talking about the same thing. There are two options.

1 - Offer our third round pick, don't include one of our first three picks for an uncontracted, fringe player who has nominated us.
2 - Let him walk to the rookie draft.

It's a bit of a meme but having a couple decent HFF/fwd mid genuinely worths it self in gold

We've already got an incredible pair of HFF's in Cripps and Rioli, don't get why we need to play mids there when we play our best footy with players playing in their best positions.

SPS has played 93 of a possible 105 games since being drafted. Please let me know how many players picked at pick 50 can match that output, while explaining how playing ~90% of the possible games over 5 years means you're not even depth.

In that time Carlton finished 13, 12, 18, 16 and 13th.

As the expectations at Carlton went up, SPS‘s performance dropped off.

Played in wrong position?

Excuse hasn’t helped Brandner.

Watch us take a list clogger whilst Clark blossoms at Freo (You’ll be able to see it at least twice next year).

In answer to your question (I’ll include those that exceed as well 😃).

In SPS’s draft: Willie Rioli 52, Jack Graham 53, Luke Ryan 66, Nick Larkey 73, Mitchell Lewis 76.

Honourable mentions to Tom Stewart 41, Brennan Cox 42 and Esava Ratogolea 44.

Watch us take a list clogger whilst Clark blossoms at Freo (You’ll be able to see it at least twice next year).

In SPS’s draft: Willie Rioli 52, Jack Graham 53, Luke Ryan 66, Nick Larkey 73, Mitchell Lewis 76.

That's a lot of responsibility to dump at one kids feet. Is Cripps a bust too?

SPS, a poor mans Jamaine Jones.

JJ can play the mid/high fwd role which is what we are apparently targeting SPS for.

JJ can play the mid/high fwd role which is what we are apparently targeting SPS for.

Jones shouldn't be anywhere near the midfield.

None of those players match SPS' total games played. Luke Ryan at 85 games and Jack Graham at 77 are the two highest.

Now some of those players are certainly better, but that wasn't the question that i posed. Of course you're going to have some players post pick 50 that are good, the odds are so dramatically low of hitting on the right one though that it's a big risk compared to taking a proven commodity (he has shown he can play at AFL level), even if they aren't great they'll still outperform the majority of picks in that range.

Jordan Clark hasn’t really shown a lot other than he has some serious wheels on him.

I like Clark, but at the same stages of their careers SPS had played 64/66 games compared to Clarks 32, and shown a hell of a lot more good football than Clark has so far.

It's the last two seasons when Teague's taken over and pushed him to half back for whatever reason, which is clearly not his position, that his form has dropped away

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a no brainer, we'll get it done with a 3rd rounder probably and those opposing his recruitment are crazy. He will be a better immediate option than anyone we would draft with the pick we give up - relax, we ain't parting with pick 10/12ish for him.

I'm going to play Devils Advokent with you.

If the deal is done and we get to retain our first 3 picks in the draft you won't find anyone complaining. Pick 49 would be lovely.

In all likelihood it'll be pick 35, which is a mid 2nd rounder. 29 is also being thrown up, which is even worse for us.

This is for someone who "probably" won't be in our starting B22 in 2022. Despite being in his sixth year of AFL.

As for the "need" you say he's filling, what need is that? He doesn't even have a role at Carlton he's done successfully, so what box does he instantly tick at West Coast?

Mid? He's never demonstrated he can play midfield at AFL level. HFF? Minimal goals and score assists/involvements. He isn't a sure thing in ANY role, master of none.

Legit the only need he is filling is the gaping hole that is that specific age bracket. He's currently not in the best 22 of a basket case bottom feeder club in Carlton.

"Better immediate option than anyone we would draft with that pick"? Well obviously. He's had 5 years in the system and a draftee hasn't. But we're about to start a bloody rebuild. Our flag window is borderline about to shut, if it hasn't already.

If we keep turning our back on going to the draft in order to top up with speculative hopefuls like SPS who nominate us, we aren't even taking a proper swing.

FWIW I'm on board getting him for the right price, I just don't agree with people throwing around that we're getting him super cheap and it's a no brainer. It ain't done yet.

If it pans out that we cough up pick 29 to develop an underperforming player as a midfielder, something we have been laughably bad at with our own mids, I'll be fuming.

It's why I'm so keen on using Brander as part of the deal in some way. Blokes basically in the bin already so I'll take anything as a win. SPP + 61 for Brander +49 I'd do.

I like Jones - he’s a nice player - he has played a handful of decent games over the last couple of years but he’s not really a long term player is he?

Will he play another 50 games at the club?

He’ll get a run in 2022 - but in an ideal world, he’s behind Rioli, Cripps, Petrucelle and SPS straight off the bat - and then probably battling it out with Winder and Langdon for a run too.

I just gotta say yeo isn't going anywhere lol

BS rumours from people who have nothing better to fill their lives with.

Btw no surprise to see the usual suspects joining in a gang bang on someone lol
stay classy BF

Petrevski-Seton has had a few good patches in his career but watching him play I’ve been pretty underwhelmed by him, particularly for a number 6 pick. There’s a few things missing in his game.

Assessment of him by Carlton fans on social media might be a tad harsh but many assess him as being a one way runner, doesn’t like to chase much and a bit lazy and soft. I think this isn’t unreasonable criticism despite the talent he’s got. I’ve seen him go missing for large periods in games too.

Having said that, in the event that he does land with us I wish him the best and hope he can work his butt off and offer us a nice HFF/mid option.

Did I miss a gang bang? Man, I miss all the fun

Threads been tidied up. There was some 24 hour old dredging which seemed purposely disruptive, ban hammers were swung, nothing was addressed in the clean up, aaand I'd suggest log in a little earlier tomorrow where it'll all repeat itself!

SPS needs to do multiple things.

1. He needs to improve his aerobic capacity significantly to improve his two way running
2. He needs to add at least 4-5 kg's of muscle (he's the same height as libba but doesn't have the mass and strength to get the ball out effectively as an inside mid.
3. Improve his outside game
4. The mental and physical application to do the top 2 in particular

If he can do these four things and play as a mid for us he will be a big win for the next 7-8 seasons and is a much better player than his current form being played out of position.

Prior to being moved back in round 11 of 2019 he was averaging roughly 20 disposals, 5 tackles and 4 clearances a game. Really the only thing stopping him getting higher stats was fitness at that point.

Both ourselves and Carlton may be better off with us keeping our current picks and trading our future third to them for him. Carlton along with almost every pundit in the league will be expecting us to drop off further next year in a year they'll get to see a lot more of what's going on with junior talent. I think this draft is much deeper than next years but there's a lot more risk due to lack of exposure and development of eastern states players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back