List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
Well that’s that then.

It wasn’t a great draft decision at the time that was compounded time and time again by poor choices during his 4 year stint. Fitting that he’s now pushed out the door with nothing for us in return

Completely mishandled by the club nor have Brander himself, or more specifically his manager, covered themselves in glory during his exit.

Odds on there’s more to this story than is being revealed because after playing 9 of our first 11 games this season and showing something in the process, he’s been cut loose with nothing more than a “don’t let the door hit you on the way out” announcement from the club

If we take a KPP with our first draft pick this year it’ll show we’ve learned nothing from this cluster*

Fingers crossed we have Ryan Cripps rioli and petrecelle all fit and firing . Guys like Jones and langdon are depth the less we see of them in the seniors the better

Jones is way before Petch in the pecking order imo.
And especially if Shuey moves to more of a HF type role in future I'm wouldn't be surprised to see Jones push a declining Cripp's out of the 22.

F: Allen - JK - Rioli
HF: Ryan - Darling - Shuey
Bench: Jones

Massive c*#k up this. Who’s accountable? After making a massive mistake in the first place we then doubled up on it by not trading him to Geelong in the Kelly deal. Error after error compounded. No wonder we are slipping down through the pack. Then all we get from ROB is “thanks for your effort “. Stinks.

And especially if Shuey moves to more of a HF type role in future I'm wouldn't be surprised to see Jones push a declining Cripp's out of the 22.

Do you think they will look at Petch on a wing? Unless we get major injuries I can't see Petch getting a game as a small forward. Ryan, Rioli, Cripps, SPS and a resting TK or Shuey are all ahead of him. Jones probably ahead also. Still not sure why we signed Petch for 3 years.

Do you think they will look at Petch on a wing? Unless we get major injuries I can't see Petch getting a game as a small forward. Ryan, Rioli, Cripps, SPS and a resting TK or Shuey are all ahead of him. Jones probably ahead also. Still not sure why we signed Petch for 3 years.
Maybe sit Petch down over the off-season and get him to watch tapes of Langdon at Melbourne- no reason we couldn’t use him in the same way with his pace

Cant help but being dirty about the Brander exit: I mean, there is apparent interest, but we couldn't facilitate a trade, even for a token pick?

It all feels suss

His manager sounded out his options during the trade period, and not a single bite.

As much as I'd like to pillory West Coast's management of him, there is surely something more at play here if after such a promising start this year he is now unwanted by 18 AFL clubs for anything more than a token late draft pick.

Unfortunately all the 2017 draft melts are now vindicated, hopefully a big lesson for the recruiting team. Ignoring glaring needs over something that was supposedly too good to pass up, only to then try to fit a square peg into a round hole, baffling o_O

In the end it cost us our 2017 and 2020 first rounders as we stupidly refused to trade him to Geelong after he'd shown nothing in 2 years, as well as our entire 2019 draft hand essentially. Hurts my head to think about what may have happened since the 2018 flag had we had Kelly on the list from the get go and 2 untainted draft hands in 2019/20.

Think Petch just needs to have a good pre-season with no niggles or injuries. He had a couple of good complete like games like the game v the Crows and the Game v the Saints. He seems to get injured not long after a good game and never goes back to the WAFL to get his fitness back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It hurts more than just losing a promising “KPP” (that’s what he was drafted for) for nothing. He’s been the central piece to this whole * up and we were really relying on him to show something to make it worth while.

We’d have had Kelly either through that draft or for significantly less than we eventually paid for him. Possibly gone a lot further in 2019 as well with the addition of Kelly a year earlier.

In the end we overpaid for Kelly and lost the bloke holding it all up for zero return. Lovely.

How many main list spots do we have open now that Brander is gone, assuming Kennedy and Hurn play on?

The more I think about it. Drafting Jarrod Brander and his development wasn't the worst of it all.
We took an extra tall in case one of Allen or Brander failed. Just so happened Allen came on quick.

We tried to Shoehorn a player who wanted to be a forward into any other role to see if he was flexible enough to fill another role, Turns out he didn't want to.
Our mistake was not offloading him once we knew he would be surplus to need last year.
The other mistake was not playing him as a KPF in the WAFL so he could at least gain some trade value.

What a waste of a first round pick.

I won't even vent what I really think about this massive utensil up.

Needless to say disappointment and dissatisfaction with our recruiting and development team are prevalent thoughts.

Jones is much better closer to goal in a pressure forward role. Cripps is much more a high half forward spending most of his time up the ground. Maybe SPS can take Cripps high KMs / repeat sprint role but I doubt it is the best role for anyone you have listed. I really rate Jones, but he's not like for like for Cripps at all in my opinion. It's like saying Rotham with push Barass out as they are both tall defenders.

Think Petch just needs to have a good pre-season with no niggles or injuries. He had a couple of good complete like games like the game v the Crows and the Game v the Saints. He seems to get injured not long after a good game and never goes back to the WAFL to get his fitness back.

Where do you see him playing in our best 22?

His manager sounded out his options during the trade period, and not a single bite.

As much as I'd like to pillory West Coast's management of him, there is surely something more at play here if after such a promising start this year he is now unwanted by 18 AFL clubs for anything more than a token late draft pick.
He didn't get a single bite because our CEO pretty much publicly said we don't rate nor want him. Why would any club trade for him when they can just wait and sign him for free when he is delisted? We have botched every part of his career from drafting to development to delisting.

Say whatever you want about his on field production, but it’s pretty poor asset management to go from pick 13 to delist within 4 years. I thought he showed a little this year - disappointing way to go.

Wonder if there is a stat sheet showing draft picks 1 to 18 and what percentage never play, play are delisted inside 4 years etc.

What a waste of a first round pick.

I won't even vent what I really think about this massive utensil up.

Needless to say disappointment and dissatisfaction with our recruiting and development team are prevalent thoughts.

It certainly raises lots of questions doesn't it? I still come back to that there is something very smelly within the club the last 2 seasons. This is not a happy unit/group across the board.

The more I think about it. Drafting Jarrod Brander and his development wasn't the worst of it all.
We took an extra tall in case one of Allen or Brander failed. Just so happened Allen came on quick.

We tried to Shoehorn a player who wanted to be a forward into any other role to see if he was flexible enough to fill another role, Turns out he didn't want to.
Our mistake was not offloading him once we knew he would be surplus to need last year.
The other mistake was not playing him as a KPF in the WAFL so he could at least gain some trade value.
Agree 100% with this

Im assuming
Oscar and Jarrod drafted on $60 000 a year
Both offered extra year quickly so their 3rd year is $350 000 .
Oscars next contract $650 000 for 4 years
Jarrod offered 2 years @ $250 000 . Can see how he might be Jaded . My sums and figures are likely way out but I gather you get my gist .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back