List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:

Can’t believe I’m agreeing with Kane Cornes. Broken clock syndrome I guess.

Not sure that Brander would automatically be in the Crows’ best 22 but I agree that the Tom Lynch role is what he’s best suited to, and they could do a lot worse than give him a crack at it.

Be mindful that Cornes, perhaps unconsciously, would love to see the Crows continue to struggle.

Can’t believe I’m agreeing with Kane Cornes. Broken clock syndrome I guess.

Not sure that Brander would automatically be in the Crows’ best 22 but I agree that the Tom Lynch role is what he’s best suited to, and they could do a lot worse than give him a crack at it.

they could do a lot worse but they could also do a lot better. Will you change numbers on your supporters jumper or just support the new incumbent?

We are being tipped to take 3 maybe 4 picks in the main draft.

Recapping - we had 37 on the main list and 7 on the rookie list.

Delisted 5 off the main list and brought in SPS - net reduction of 4 leaving 33 on the main list
Delisted 4 off the rookie list leaving 3 (Jones, Trew West) on the rookie list

We can have a maximum of 38 on the main list (i.e. we can pick up to 5 in the National Draft)
We can have up to 42 on the rookie + main list. How many we take will depends on whether we are happy to slide back and lose options but have cheaper salaries and only 1 year commitment.

Without knowing the details of our salary cap, I would prefer to take at least 4 in the main draft as I think there will be some value at our pick 68 or whatever it becomes. That would leave us with 2 rookies. That would give us a 37/5 split.

Then look to get 2 of Regan, Lawson or Farmer on as Cat B.

Alternatively, we keep a spot open for a delisted free agent who can train with us over the summer.
I was all about taking two x Cat B's this year, but I'm now concerned we don't have the money in the soft cap to do it.

they could do a lot worse but they could also do a lot better. Will you change numbers on your supporters jumper or just support the new incumbent?

I haven’t had a number on my jumper since I was a kid. Plus I’m not the massive Brander fan you think I am.

But I disagree with you on certain aspects of your criticism so therefore I must have an enormous man crush on him, because there’s absolutely no possible middle ground.

The whole 'lower number is better' thing in AFL is weird. I've always admired A. Selwood for making 37 his own at the club.
Plenty of guns with higher number. Just feel the Eagles in particular rate them lower number. Literally never given some hacks the number of stars. Peter Matera’s 30 was never given to anyone special after he retired. Same with Embley number

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cornes is a goose, but he is correct about Brander best being the third tall

That makes it if even more frustrating that if he could see it, and we could see it, why couldn't the club see it?

he is a spud, learn to live with it

Back to trading and drafting.

I am expecting to see the Doggies extract more value out of pick 23. Plenty of takers and none likely to offer the points premium more than our mates at Corio Bay. Geelong have picks 30, 32 and 34 along with pick 50. Also getting consecutive picks at 22 and 23 would be a bonus.

Will Pies try to sell off 36 and get more value? Not sure but I see it as possible (subject to the AFL ruling on list spots available and picks holding).

Importantly in the first round, I see Richmond going hard for Adelaide with pick 4 (6 after bids). The word is Hobbs is their target and if he is still there on the night, then I expect them to pounce. Tigers hold 7 and 15 in the first round then 26, 27 and 28 in the second round. I can see something happening on the night and assuming Hobbs is still there at 4. Adelaide have 4, 33 then a big gap to 75 and 80.

I am personally still keen on us exploring Brisbane's pick 18. Shifting points with a second rounder in 2022 is a good option plus for us it gives us 2 first round picks this year and gets us all square. We could possibly pick up a Draper, JvR, Kneit, or alike at that pick (will likely be pick 20 post bids). Happy to add 35 along with next year's second rounder to the deal. Assuming next year is around 29 again, Brisbane bank 650 points for the future. Meanwhile we go in with 10, 18 and 29 which would be very strong.

Brander got a goodbye message from the club.

Is Cameron still in limbo?

He will get the " We wish Cameron all the best but as he didnt bring the required deli meats to Simmos BBQ and instead chose to bring meatlover flavored Twisties. In doing that he didn't fulfil his duties at the Annual Simmo BBQ and with that he loses out on the remaining credits required to be in the squad for 22"

Last week it was announced publicly that Cameron is playing for Swan Districts next year.

Surely the club could get a wriggle on with getting him off the list officially by now.

Only by the media, hasn’t been officially announced by Swans. It’s no different to the media saying he’s been delisted, or will be delisted.

The club needs to get all its Is dotted and Ts crossed to make sure his salary is fully off the books and nothing will be counted in next year’s cap.

Until then, there’s no real rush until whenever the last list lodgment date is, is there?

Only by the media, hasn’t been officially announced by Swans. It’s no different to the media saying he’s been delisted, or will be delisted.

The club needs to get all its Is dotted and Ts crossed to make sure his salary is fully off the books and nothing will be counted in next year’s cap.

Until then, there’s no real rush until whenever the last list lodgment date is, is there?

I just can't help feel, this is somehow Cripps fault for missing that 15m kick in front of goal and derailing our whole season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back