Keys

Looking for a cloud to yell at
Oct 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Bengals
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - clusterfu**
• Cameron - retired/delisted to be confirmed

In-
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62

Players on main list - 38
Players on rookie list - 3

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach)
Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:

Obeanie1

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Updated prior to Rookie and Cat B additions

View attachment 1287759

Make your mind up on what we need. I usually highlight the fact that we don't have a starting midfielder that will be under 27 come season end but what would I know, I obviously have hidden our midfielder in my flank and utility category.

With multiple Edwards and Williams and a Jones, the list is starting to look like the Welsh Rugby team. All we need an Evans
So Dittmar, Strnadica, Fejo JNR, all go undrafted.

2 drafts go by, and all we've managed to add.

to address our huge midfield deficiency's (not potential mid, actual mid) is Greg Clark at pick 62.

Daaaamn Daniel Rohan. You've outdone yourself as far as midfield disrespect goes this year.
So all three can train with us for the last spot on the list?

What a joke. I mean what's the advantage of keeping your options open and asking players of interest to train with us.:think:;)

You are really coming across as a total negative Nancy over this entire episode.

To the point that you are making things up in your head that aren't really that important.

AsterixTheGaul

Plucked from the Amos
Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Lakers Claremont
Passing was fine by me. We have yet to get clarification by the club on the Cameron position (but assume it is finalised and he is of the list), the issue with Sheppard and concussion is uncertain but not looking good and hence we have questions as to what is out there.

I would be happy for us to list a couple of Cat B lads in Lawson, Regan or Farmer but not fully aware of the soft cap issues so WTF knows.

Use the next 2 months to find a train on options. Bring in a young ruck (some suggesting Strnadica), bring in a couple of young inside mids that missed out (Ditmar or Brown) or bring in a left field option.

Apart from Brown or Dittmar, there are not that many hat scream out pick me.

Winky

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2009
Sunshine coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
We gambled with our first two picks. Both Chesser and Hough were taken ahead or at the high end of their expected draft range.

As I’ve said previously in this thread that is not unusual for O’Brien and unfortunately he doesn’t have a great track record in recent seasons of those reaches paying off.

In particular he has a habit of going for players with the potential to move into the midfield ahead of actual midfielders. This is over a period where the lack of midfield depth coming through has been an ongoing problem. It has also coincided with a period where we’ve not had a lot of high end draft picks so there has been extenuating circumstances for that

This year we had our highest pick in a decade in a draft that had numerous midfield options and we ignored the more contested style mids available and selected two more outside types that do admittedly address our lack of pace which was another weakness

So I can understand the frustration people here have that we’ve seen this movie before and don’t have the faith that finally this time the gamble might pay off. Like everyone I’m hoping it does, and certainly Chesser and Hough have attributes to get excited about

It makes it a difficult draft to assess because of the risk attached with our early picks especially when they ignored our issues with contested ball

I can see why some outside the club like what we’ve done as we’ve addressed outside speed but for those posters who have been banging on (with justification) that we don’t pick mids this draft doesn’t alleviate their concerns

Edit : Our remaining picks were shrewd list management by selecting a couple of KPPs that we can take time to develop (Bazzo and Williams) and a matured aged, ready to play contested beast who hedges the bet we made with our first two picks. These later picks helped balance our draft hand and probably saved this board from a complete meltdown
I'm ok on our picks in this draft although I would have had Johnson in front of Chesser, mainly because I didn't know much about Chesser. The rest I thought were absolutely spot on with the picks we had. I'm confused with this rookie draft though as I thought we still have three rookie picks to make the total overall equal to the max of 44. The only reason not to do this has to be that we are too close to the salary cap. Someone has made a huge blunder if we have to play at three players less than the max

AsterixTheGaul

Plucked from the Amos
Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Lakers Claremont
I'm ok on our picks in this draft although I would have had Johnson in front of Chesser, mainly because I didn't know much about Chesser. The rest I thought were absolutely spot on with the picks we had. I'm confused with this rookie draft though as I thought we still have three rookie picks to make the total overall equal to the max of 44. The only reason not to do this has to be that we are too close to the salary cap. Someone has made a huge blunder if we have to play at three players less than the max
Max is 42. Up to 38 senior and 4 rookies.
1637901843472.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keys

Looking for a cloud to yell at
Oct 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Bengals
List size is 42 so we only had one spot available and I’m guessing we want to keep our options open on who to take

Goldfish

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
West Coast
Max is 42. Up to 38 senior and 4 rookies.
So we've got 1 spot, could try a few out over preseason and take one as a rookie. Don't mind it.

Mulldogg

Club Legend
Apr 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Simmo being aloof or keeping a BBQ invite between himself and the new draftees?

I’m seeing Justin Longmuir’s grinning mug in photos with all the Freo recruits and we send The Dish and old Serge Miller over to the Bazzo residence and that’s it?

Just quietly too, how tidy is Bazzo’s sister? 👀

paran

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2007
West Coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Washington Redskins
Simmo being aloof or keeping a BBQ invite between himself and the new draftees?

I’m seeing Justin Longmuir’s grinning mug in photos with all the Freo recruits and we send The Dish and old Serge Miller over the the Bazzo residence and that’s it?

Just quietly too, how tidy is Bazzo’s sister? 👀
pics or gtfo

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad