Keys

Looking for a cloud to yell at
Oct 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Bengals
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - clusterfu**
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

In-
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62

Players on main list - 37
Players on rookie list - 3

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:

dkalphy

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I've said this before. But can this forum have a christmas break or something. Posters need a recharge before entering into the new season. It's not healthy to be on here 24/7. Go be with your family or start a family and come back at the start of the year.

First to four year posters: Return 22/12/21
Seniors (5 years +): Return 6/1/22

Hillsy13

Debutant
Oct 12, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Chesser will become a marquee player for us. He’s good looking enough to be a west coast Bailey smith

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

flamingEMBERS

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Great summary mate.:thumbsu:

You obviously have a wiser head on your shoulders than I. Sit back and wait to see how the entire draft does panout before passing final judgement and engaging in the draft thread. :straining:

Hough I also thought Le cra when he was playing forward and marking. But with more intent on getting the ground ball and tackling. See him with 10kgs of muscle and another cm or two and I starting to imagine a Fyfe like role but better kicking. He and Chesser will be very interesting to watch develo.

And yes passing in the rookie draft with one spot left was a smart move. Who will be our train on players?:think::thumbsu:

The more I watch Houghs highlights The more I like. His long arms give me confidence he’ll fill out similar to Fyfe. But I really like that he played SWFL against men and then colts last year. There’s definitely something about playing against men especially at a pretty high level at a young age.

boondy

I pity the fool
Nov 15, 2013
Here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yes
This mob mentality is irritating about our priority is an inside bull . We have 3 . Nic Nat , Yeo , Kelly. Redden Shuey and Sheed can also step up . How many of those have speedy outside run ? So leg speed and precise kicking had to be a priority to move it quick once our bulls get it out .
Our team was stuck in its back half all year . Our best part of our game was the centre bounce . We couldn't keep it in our fwd half and we couldn't run it out of our defensive half .
Players who can take the game on from d50 , wing were our needs . Good marking big men at both ends helps as well .

Obeanie1

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Tackling is a teachable skill - it's a matter of having the right teachers & the will to want to teach it.

Enter Schofield & Knights

Does this indicate we weren't adequately teaching our players to tackle p

Comparing our defensive style for 2018 v 2020 and 21 it was polar opposites. Standing rule came in 2021 but that did not stop the top teams keeping up the tackling pressure.

Game plan and intent just seemed totally off the pace in recent seasons and yes player availability was a factor however other sides bring in kids who pressure and tackle like demons.

Understand it not one thing but 2, 3 or 4 factors but our defensive set up doesnt compete against the top sides atm.

Godfather32

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
This mob mentality is irritating about our priority is an inside bull . We have 3 . Nic Nat , Yeo , Kelly. Redden Shuey and Sheed can also step up . How many of those have speedy outside run ? So leg speed and precise kicking had to be a priority to move it quick once our bulls get it out .
Our team was stuck in its back half all year . Our best part of our game was the centre bounce . We couldn't keep it in our fwd half and we couldn't run it out of our defensive half .
Players who can take the game on from d50 , wing were our needs . Good marking big men at both ends helps as well .
Kelly's not an inside bull imo, he's more damaging as a balanced mid who plays mainly on the outside.
Nic Nat is our ruckman and is likely coming into his last couple of seasons. Redden and Shuey are both old/injured/always getting injured.
The fact that we are near the very bottom of the league in most contested stats (and our sudden improvement in this area at the end of 2018 was what helped us win the premiership) indicates that we could probably do with an inside bull or two, nevermind that our current players in this role are getting on in age.

Our team was stuck in the half back all year because they have been coached to stop, hold up play and look sideways or backwards for a target to keep possession, it had nothing to do with the players that were on the park. The very few times we chose to take the game on this year there was no issue with ball movement out of our backline at all.

FKASC

Under Notice
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
After watching all the vids of Chesser I can find, I think Brad Johnson said it best with his comparison to Ryan Griffen.
Seems apt I think.
The Seedsman comparison sucks (not that he’s a bad player), but really it’s hard to imagine him being that outside given he’s almost already more solidly built than the Seed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3agles87

Debutant
Feb 24, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
For all of those bemoaning Freo’s constant winning of the draft:

1. Freo picked Erasmus, a guy who reportedly was telling clubs he wanted to stay in WA but was not even smart enough to respond to the Eagles about a spot in the academy. Chesser left home four years ago to succeed at football and education, and was reportedly a late first rounder to early second rounder despite having not played footy for two years.
2. Freo take Johnson, the Subiaco player struggling with the stress of having to wait overnight to get picked up. We picked up Clarke, the highly rated junior Subiaco player who persevered for seven years, turned himself into a contested beast and one of the best players in the WAFL.
3. Freo take Amiss, a guy who kicks tonnes of goals all year, but kicks zero goals in two finals. It won’t matter at Freo cause they dont make finals anyway. We take a slightly less smooth player in Williams, who kicks plenty of goals and actually kicks goals in finals while balancing it all with taking ruck knocks.

I say ROB stole Bells feather.

* may or may not be revisionist thinking from my draft day thoughts.

AsterixTheGaul

Plucked from the Amos
Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Lakers Claremont
Don't expect WC to suddenly become Sydney circa 2005 - but Simmo's no fool
I agree Simmo is no fool but the team and game style have made him look quite foolish at times in the last 2 years. Something is not gelling and let’s hope it sorts itself out over the next 10 months

Bacchus

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2008
Down South
AFL Club
West Coast
The Seedsman comparison sucks (not that he’s a bad player), but really it’s hard to imagine him being that outside given he’s almost already more solidly built than the Seed.
I don’t like and disagree with the Seedsman comparison. Chesser is a much more solid build as you say. Seedsman comes across to me as the finisher, the ’cherry’ on top of the cake type player. We need ‘cake’ type players not the cherry on top type players. I hope Chesser is and becomes more a ‘cake’ type player because our ‘cake’ looks like it is about to crumble and fall apart.
I like the Bailey Smith comparison better. No comment about respective characters.

Last edited:

The_Gambler

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2009
Omaha, in middle America
AFL Club
West Coast
So you are saying Chesser is the better player? Fair enough. The recruiting team seem to think so. He may be, time will tell. On the face of it, from my admittedly superficial exposure, Johnson is the better player, perhaps more rounded, a key rather than role playing midfielder. This was the opinion of most/all phantom drafts, and Fremantle were pretty keen to snap up Johnson when he fell into their lap. Most pre-draft experts did not agree with your position, they may be wrong, we will see.

no idea who is better or who will be better, but suggesting why recruiters may see a higher potential for CC. Being more well rounded at u’18s does mean better at AFL. Generally you need some real strengths at AFL, but not always.

I don’t see MJ being an inside player at AFL. I see CC being a state 200m runner and penetrating kick causing more problems as an outside mid. He also has 10kg on MJ already, which is equivalent of 2 preseasons. CC should play 5-10 games this year. I can’t see MJ being body ready for 1-2 years. I’m not unhappy with this pick. Bringing in SPS and Clark justifies our selection more

Bacchus

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2008
Down South
AFL Club
West Coast
For all of those bemoaning Freo’s constant winning of the draft:

1. Freo picked Erasmus, a guy who reportedly was telling clubs he wanted to stay in WA but was not even smart enough to respond to the Eagles about a spot in the academy. Chesser left home four years ago to succeed at football and education, and was reportedly a late first rounder to early second rounder despite having not played footy for two years.
2. Freo take Johnson, the Subiaco player struggling with the stress of having to wait overnight to get picked up. We picked up Clarke, the highly rated junior Subiaco player who persevered for seven years, turned himself into a contested beast and one of the best players in the WAFL.
3. Freo take Amiss, a guy who kicks tonnes of goals all year, but kicks zero goals in two finals. It won’t matter at Freo cause they dont make finals anyway. We take a slightly less smooth player in Williams, who kicks plenty of goals and actually kicks goals in finals while balancing it all with taking ruck knocks.

I say ROB stole Bells feather.

* may or may not be revisionist thinking from my draft day thoughts.
Respectfully, I disagree with most of your points in the above post. On the face of it, time will prove it one way or the other, Fremantle absolutely nailed the draft. Regarding Erasmus and the emails I don’t know enough about the details so I don’t want to comment. Very understandable that Johnson would be disappointed about not being selected on the first day, I don’t think it reflects badly on his character.

Fremantle did have a very strong draft hand. How they got GC’s pick 21 is mind boggling. No wonder Gold Coast is such a basket case. I do tentatively agree with you on Williams vs Amiss, I think their value and potential is much closer than draft position indicates. I think we may have had a big win with Williams.

Last edited:

Bacchus

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2008
Down South
AFL Club
West Coast
no idea who is better or who will be better, but suggesting why recruiters may see a higher potential for CC. Being more well rounded at u’18s does mean better at AFL. Generally you need some real strengths at AFL, but not always.

I don’t see MJ being an inside player at AFL. I see CC being a state 200m runner and penetrating kick causing more problems as an outside mid. He also has 10kg on MJ already, which is equivalent of 2 preseasons. CC should play 5-10 games this year. I can’t see MJ being body ready for 1-2 years. I’m not unhappy with this pick. Bringing in SPS and Clark justifies our selection more
I think you are factually wrong about the weight difference. Chesser listed at 83kg and Johnson 81kg. I would not be surprised to see Johnson debut next year. Being an athletics champion often does not necessarily translate to football. I have seen many athletic guns not reach the same level at football. Masten is one well known recent example. I am not saying that this will be the case with Chesser, just that athletic capacity does not guarantee the same football prowess. I can see MJ being an inside player in the AFL in time.

AsterixTheGaul

Plucked from the Amos
Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Lakers Claremont
I’ve been watching a different Kelly and Sheed if you define them as bulls!!!!

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
You missed west and clark. certainly not outside. Chesser is soon to be heavier than them anyway (Nic excluded)

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
I think you are factually wrong about the weight difference. Chesser listed at 83kg and Johnson 81kg. I would not be surprised to see Johnson debut next year. Being an athletics champion often does not necessarily translate to football. I have seen many athletic guns not reach the same level at football. Masten is one well known recent example. I am not saying that this will be the case with Chesser, just that athletic capacity does not guarantee the same football prowess. I can see MJ being an inside player in the AFL in time.
His onfield movement, pace and evasion does though. (with skill and decision making) You cannot give a draft hourse pace.

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors
Huh? Think you misunderstood my post. I wanted Dittmar as I know his quality, I was stating if he wasn't left as somebody had taken him already. I'd pass on taking someone else.
Thats what i thought you meant..kades a bit touchy

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Wce17

Senior List
Oct 4, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Its not about the future 4th its about the awareness or lack of awareness of our recruitment department .

It is the club as a whole having dropped the ball on multiple occasions

Without someone like Rawlings or glass to steer the ship the old nuffies or nisbetts cooked son are making stupid mistakes that are costing us small things that collectively could cost us a future success or even a flag

1. Kelly trade - we had a guy only coming to us and we paid way overs . It cost us good young draftees i

2 . NGA . We failed to list Erasmus and arthur . It didn't cost us with Erasmus but we could have had Arthur for cheap

3 6 year deals ? They don't help the club at all that 4 now with GOV , gaff , Kelly and barrass

4 Harry edward had a different guernsey. I mean WTF this is a massive fu** up for a professional organisation

5 Chesser - we could have - drafted Johnson or got at least another future 2nd as he wasn't meant to go until mid 20s

6 Chessers jumper being 3 sizes too big . WTF

7 Using a future 4th to trade up for Clark?

We have seriously lost control of this club and heads need to roll

Are you okay? you've lost your head

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad