Keys

Looking for a cloud to yell at
Oct 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Bengals
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - clusterfu**
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

In-
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62

Players on main list - 37
Players on rookie list - 3

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:

shooshka

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Why did you change your name Spaceclef...too much off a flog..no likes?

+ BOND 007 our inside info draft gai apparently has no idea of our intentions of train ons, can we add that one?
Last year train on players (all clubs) were announced on 19 December (10 days after the rookie draft and after teams had broken for the Xmas break, although that was an anomaly).

Late this week seems a more reasonable timeframe to ask that question.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

shooshka

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
I've said this before. But can this forum have a christmas break or something. Posters need a recharge before entering into the new season. It's not healthy to be on here 24/7. Go be with your family or start a family and come back at the start of the year.

First to four year posters: Return 22/12/21
Seniors (5 years +): Return 6/1/22
If people are so busy on BigFooty that they don't have time to start a family without enforced time off then that is evolution/natural-selection at its finest!

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Get_The_Gaff

Club Legend
Apr 4, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast
we drafted a footballer. VC Vic country - that football heatland. That he is a very good sprinter is a weapon.
That's not the point I'm making did you even read the post ? If he can't find enough of the ball whats the point in having all these supposed weapons .

Venables was very damaging. When ever he got the ball something good happened.

Venables never got enough to be considered a midfielder.

I hope chesser is different but the stats aren't supporting that at this time

Wce17

Senior List
Oct 4, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Looking forward to next year and list turnover is going to be tight. Not a lot of list cloggers like this year to get rid off.

Kennedy & Hurn will likely retire. Shuey, Nic Nat & Redden are a chance of retiring & the rest are kids or good depth. Could end up being all our list changes come from retirements.

• Luke Shuey (2/6/90) - Retire. Injuries get him
  • Tom Cole (28/5/97) - Good depth. Another contract
  • Tom Barrass (8/10/95) - Best 22. Another contract
  • Willie Rioli (4/6/95) - If he's good not going anywhere. 50/50
  • Nic Naitanui (4/5/90) - Reckon he will sign a 1 year contract
  • Bailey Williams (17/4/00) - Unless he asks for a trade he gets another contract. Nic Nat near the end ruckmen are always a slow burn most of the time
  • Harry Edwards (1/10/00) - Gun. Another contract
  • Alex Witherden (10/9/98) - Hopefully has a good run at it this year. Another Contract
  • Luke Edwards (12/1/02) - Liked what I saw this year. Another Contract
  • Isiah Winder (16/05/02) - Very Exciting. Hopefully a way better version of Karpany. Another contract
  • Jackson Nelson (15/3/96) - Good depth & I have hope that with a new game plan we encourage him to use his pace, dash and his kicking skills. Think he could really go well & become best 22. Keep
  • Callum Jamieson (31/7/00) - Was always going to be a long term prospect & with Nic Nat near the end unless something crazy happens he get another contract
  • (R) Zane Trew (26/4/02) - Talented and a type of player we need. Think a stronger eagles WAFL team with more experience will really do him wonders aswell as the addition of Knights and Schofield. If it is true that he's a bit of a sook then Schofield will sort him out real quick. Keep on rookie list.
  • Jack Redden (9/12/90) - Year by Year contracts now. He's still a good player and think he's one player who always looks like he's having a crack. No reason he won't get another year.
  • (R) Jamaine Jones (29/9/98) - Clearly a talented players. Good tackler & a crafty player. Just needs a good run from the injury gods. Keep
  • (R) Connor West (7/5/99) - It will be good to see what he offers after a full preseason & is played in the actual midfield at AFL level. I liked what I saw but the circumstances made it hard to judge him. 50/50
  • Shannon Hurn (4/9/87) – Retire Sadly
  • Josh Kennedy (25/8/87) - Retire Sadly

Obeanie1

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Looking forward to next year and list turnover is going to be tight. Not a lot of list cloggers like this year to get rid off.

Kennedy & Hurn will likely retire. Shuey, Nic Nat & Redden are a chance of retiring & the rest are kids or good depth. Could end up being all our list changes come from retirements.

• Luke Shuey (2/6/90) - Retire. Injuries get him
  • Tom Cole (28/5/97) - Good depth. Another contract
  • Tom Barrass (8/10/95) - Best 22. Another contract
  • Willie Rioli (4/6/95) - If he's good not going anywhere. 50/50
  • Nic Naitanui (4/5/90) - Reckon he will sign a 1 year contract
  • Bailey Williams (17/4/00) - Unless he asks for a trade he gets another con:(:(tract. Nic Nat near the end ruckmen are always a slow burn most of the time
  • Harry Edwards (1/10/00) - Gun. Another contract
  • Alex Witherden (10/9/98) - Hopefully has a good run at it this year. Another Contract
  • Luke Edwards (12/1/02) - Liked what I saw this year. Another Contract
  • Isiah Winder (16/05/02) - Very Exciting. Hopefully a way better version of Karpany. Another contract
  • Jackson Nelson (15/3/96) - Good depth & I have hope that with a new game plan we encourage him to use his pace, dash and his kicking skills. Think he could really go well & become best 22. Keep
  • Callum Jamieson (31/7/00) - Was always going to be a long term prospect & with Nic Nat near the end unless something crazy happens he get another contract
  • (R) Zane Trew (26/4/02) - Talented and a type of player we need. Think a stronger eagles WAFL team with more experience will really do him wonders aswell as the addition of Knights and Schofield. If it is true that he's a bit of a sook then Schofield will sort him out real quick. Keep on rookie list.
  • Jack Redden (9/12/90) - Year by Year contracts now. He's still a good player and think he's one player who always looks like he's having a crack. No reason he won't get another year.
  • (R) Jamaine Jones (29/9/98) - Clearly a talented players. Good tackler & a crafty player. Just needs a good run from the injury gods. Keep
  • (R) Connor West (7/5/99) - It will be good to see what he offers after a full preseason & is played in the actual midfield at AFL level. I liked what I saw but the circumstances made it hard to judge him.
  • Shannon Hurn (4/9/87) – Retire Sadly
  • Josh Kennedy (25/8/87) - Retire Sadly

Sheppard sadly

Redden and Nelson let go as fa.

Wce17

Senior List
Oct 4, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Sheppard sadly

Redden and Nelson let go as fa.

Ah yes Shep, technically he would still be on the list :-(

I really hope Nelson has a good year & we start using his strengths better. Change of game plan might help him go up a level.

Good problem to have really. We have plenty of kids on the list they just need the right development. Enter Knights & Schofield.

3agles87

Debutant
Feb 24, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Respectfully, I disagree with most of your points in the above post. On the face of it, time will prove it one way or the other, Fremantle absolutely nailed the draft. Regarding Erasmus and the emails I don’t know enough about the details so I don’t want to comment. Very understandable that Johnson would be disappointed about not being selected on the first day, I don’t think it reflects badly on his character.

Fremantle did have a very strong draft hand. How they got GC’s pick 21 is mind boggling. No wonder Gold Coast is such a basket case. I do tentatively agree with you on Williams vs Amiss, I think their value and potential is much closer than draft position indicates. I think we may have had a big win with Williams.
Respectfully, I don’t know how anyone can read my post and think it was anything but tongue in cheek. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ But, carry on. 😂😂😂😂

Ridge Renegade

Debutant
Nov 5, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
The more I watch Houghs highlights The more I like. His long arms give me confidence he’ll fill out similar to Fyfe. But I really like that he played SWFL against men and then colts last year. There’s definitely something about playing against men especially at a pretty high level at a young age.
I think the following week after one of the state games he got some quality touches when sneaking in a quick game for HBL's league team. Jagged 3 goals for good measure too 😉 John Baggetta knew he was AFL quality from a long way out. Love that 3 (so far, Dittmar as a train on please 🙏) South West boys got a look in this draft. Hough is a natural footballer. Bit of Heady/LeCras about him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ishmael_

Club Legend
Apr 30, 2013
Stockholm
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Fremantle
Some 'itk' on Freo's board reckons Geelong was odds on to pick him if we didn't. Might explain why we went when we did - regardless it's clear our recruiters rate him.

Looks slick from the vision. Great hands, good disposal and positioning, not afraid to run the ball or kick goals either. Athletic and quick as well.

Love his work without the ball too - the flight back spoils and his pressure on the ball carrier. He also looks to have a 'rangy' tackle which is something you have or you don't. Which all speaks of desire to impact the contest wherever possible.

I like the look of this kid a lot. What he becomes will be somewhat dependent on how his body develops, but I can see him impacting all over the ground. Dream scenario would be someone like Bont that can run through the middle and drift forward to kick goals.

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
Some 'itk' on Freo's board reckons Geelong was odds on to pick him if we didn't. Might explain why we went when we did - regardless it's clear our recruiters rate him.

Looks slick from the vision. Great hands, good disposal and positioning, not afraid to run the ball or kick goals either. Athletic and quick as well.

Love his work without the ball too - the flight back spoils and his pressure on the ball carrier. He also looks to have a 'rangy' tackle which is something you have or you don't. Which all speaks of desire to impact the contest wherever possible.

I like the look of this kid a lot. What he becomes will be somewhat dependent on how his body develops, but I can see him impacting all over the ground. Dream scenario would be someone like Bont that can run through the middle and drift forward to kick goals.

Yep, for me, he is the pick of our picks, if you know what I mean. He could be anything.

maverick001

Team Captain
Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm sure there are better ways to describe a 200 game premiership player.

You could point out he's not a junkie or alcoholic that wrecked havoc on the club. Could point out that he set the standard on the track and for a team that, since his retirement, has potentially not been the most professional on that front, a player of his drive would be appreciated.

Could point out that he played the role he was given by the club and played it well enough that the team had the ultimate success. This is probably an important aspect given recent mumblings about the discontent within the playing group.

Could point to his willingness to work despite physical limitations and change his game from juniors to have a ten+ year career at the elite level.

Could also just not be so disrespectful and wrong? I don't think his heart was ever questioned.
I thought Masten was unfairly treated as a whipping boy throughout his career. Did have some quite good years. His kicking was always bemoaned, and while he did have his share of clangers, he also had more kicks that went quickly and directly to a leading forward than most of our midfielders did.

maverick001

Team Captain
Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Masten could find the ball he naturally accumulated possessions .

I'm not concerned about chesser physically or even if he will become an inside mid .

My concern is we have drafted another athlete who can't find the ball . Averaging 16 possessions isn't very good for a midfielder
Re the 16 possessions, I think it was 18, and given he got injured and played only 3 game then it's possible he got a very low number in 1 game and this dragged the average down.

InTheWings

Premium Gold
Jan 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Fremantle
Article in The Age from Matt Rendell before the draft said he had Chesser in the top 5 two years ago, although he also said that a bunch of this year's top prospects didn't play in the U/16 championships. Nevertheless, even though he has only played a handful of games in the past two years, Rendell believed that Chesser would be an "absolute bargain" for any club taking him between pick 10-20.

Rendell's recruiting notes on Chesser....
A big-bodied midfielder who is highly skilled and super competitive. Has genuine speed out of the contest, but I would like to see him run and carry more often. Very good aerially, which makes him a hybrid forward-midfielder as well. Extremely influential on games and has a strong work ethic.

Interestingly Rendell rates him as a midfielder, with no mention of HBF.

Anyway, I am glad we have the kid and am looking forward to seeing what he can deliver for us.

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Article in The Age from Matt Rendell before the draft said he had Chesser in the top 5 two years ago, although he also said that a bunch of this year's top prospects didn't play in the U/16 championships. Nevertheless, even though he has only played a handful of games in the past two years, Rendell believed that Chesser would be an "absolute bargain" for any club taking him between pick 10-20.

A big-bodied midfielder who is highly skilled and super competitive. Has genuine speed out of the contest, but I would like to see him run and carry more often. Very good aerially, which makes him a hybrid forward-midfielder as well. Extremely influential on games and has a strong work ethic.

Anyway, I am glad we have the kid and am looking forward to seeing what he can deliver for us.

smart pick by a smart club

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
That's not the point I'm making did you even read the post ? If he can't find enough of the ball whats the point in having all these supposed weapons .

I make comment, what's your problem. You fail to make a point then cry

Winky

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2009
Sunshine coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts

A bit harsh on Venables I think. He was good enough to get in a winning GF team albeit mainly as a forward. He was still young and had to oust the likes of Shuey, Redden, Yeo, Sheed, Masten, Hutchings as well as Cripps, Rioli and Ryan rolling through the midfield before he could play there, I have no doubt that but for his injury at a very young age, he would have been a successful mid. Certainly the club thought the same. Chesson, I think, is a different player but I reckon the chances are, he will succeed. You can't use average possessions as the sole criterion as we don't even know how long he spend in the midfield and his seasons were interrupted by injury.

Mulldogg

Club Legend
Apr 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC

Matt Rendell also thinks Shannon Hurn is still our captain and that Darcy Moore could win a Brownlow in the ruck…

Would take any opinion of his with a grain of salt.

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
A bit harsh on Venables I think. He was good enough to get in a winning GF team albeit mainly as a forward. He was still young and had to oust the likes of Shuey, Redden, Yeo, Sheed, Masten, Hutchings as well as Cripps, Rioli and Ryan rolling through the midfield before he could play there, I have no doubt that but for his injury at a very young age, he would have been a successful mid. Certainly the club thought the same. Chesson, I think, is a different player but I reckon the chances are, he will succeed. You can't use average possessions as the sole criterion as we don't even know how long he spend in the midfield and his seasons were interrupted by injury.

I doubt it on Venables. Didn't accumulate more than 20 possessions in a single game after turning 16. Great athlete, great team man and had class, but wouldn't have made it as a midfielder. Genuinely hard, wish him all the best with the rest of his life and he retires with a premiership medal and had huge assistance and every chance given to him by the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad