List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
A little update on Shep.

In short,

Still struggling with symptoms.
One step forward one step back progress (?)
Club will leave decision to Shep.
Expect decision to take a while.
Consulting widely to get best medical advice.
On light duties - not resumed full training and unlikely to do so,for some time.

A little update on Shep.

In short,

Still struggling with symptoms.
One step forward one step back progress (?)
Club will leave decision to Shep.
Expect decision to take a while.
Consulting widely to get best medical advice.
On light duties - not resumed full training and unlikely to do so,for some time.

Yep, my prognosis of the next 18 months is looking good.

Get Shep off our list already, I want both Browne & Dittmar.
Weren't drafted, but definitely have a-grade written all over them.

IMO we will take one more player preseason and then defer the Sheppard decision until mid season. If still not good he can be put on the LTI or inactive list and we use a mid season pick.

What are the knocks on him (apart from being injury prone)?

Genuine question as I can’t remember him from his draft year and obviously didn’t see any of him while he was at Brisbane.

No idea about him as a player - it's just his injury history and progression that makes him a very west coast selection

Starred in his underage U18 year, projected top-30 talent, leadership qualities
missed the majority of his final U18 year with injury, slid down draft boards
Injured since being drafted (was probably taken a bit earlier than expected in 2018, funnily enough Brisbane took him after we matched Cameron).

Would Jack Avery be a consideration if Shep retires ?

Doubt it as Sheps role can, IMO, be covered by either of Rotham or Bazzo.

Confirmation (if we needed it... well I suppose we did as the club hasn't said anything) that Cameron has been delisted or retired.

We knew it due to the available draft picks - but an announcement from the club really should have been forthcoming.

Confirmation (if we needed it... well I suppose we did as the club hasn't said anything) that Cameron has been delisted or retired.

We knew it due to the available draft picks - but an announcement from the club really should have been forthcoming.

From the Ryan Burrows school of “let’s just pretend none of this happened”

Back injuries are concerning on people so young.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

A couple of guys I played juniors with looked likely to get picked up by AFL clubs but succumbed to back injuries associated with their hammies in their mid-teens.

I hear back injuries now and go yikes.

For anyone that wants to see a bit of Tom Joyce, from memory the vision is from him playing for WA as a underager as he missed the entire u18 year with injuries. He also went on to have many injuries at the Lions.

On Dittmar, he had back injuries prior to this year and he played the entire year so looks like he might be hopefully past them.

My daughter has inherited my blunt and practical sense. I told her about Sheppard and she said he now has another role - start making father sons/daughter prospects

what can I say, the interest in drafting is in the blood

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't necessarily draw a line through someone because they have had a back injury, depending on what it is of course. One of the boys I coach in Athletics missed the entire 2020 winter season with a stress fracture in his back, he spent (from memory) 22 weeks on the sidelines. He resumed full competition in Athletics around Christmas 2020, worked really hard and qualified for the Athletics Nationals at Olympic Park in Sydney in April this year and was able to compete and did really well.

He Played the full footy season this year with no issues, and is doing Aths again this summer with no issues. He was told by his physio once cleared to compete that he does not expect any further issues in the future.

Personally I think Dittmah is just a tad vanilla for a midfielder, same as Browne apparently, going by Monocle's description.

But it's a low risk high reward option and they are both surely waaaay better candidates than Joyce.

Old mate had long enough to get his body right and break into AFL level for Brisbane.

Although flip side is that I'm sure our WAFL team would fair much better with some big bodied depth playing like Joyce, than kids in Dittmah and Browne.

Last edited:
Personally I think Dittmah is just a tad vanilla for a midfielder, same as Browne apparently, going by Monocle's description.

But it's a low risk high reward option and they are both surely waaaay better candidates than Joyce.

Old mate had long enough to get his body right and break into AFL level for Brisbane.

Although flip side is that I'm sure our WAFL team would fair much better with some big bodied depth playing like Joyce, than kids in Dittmah and Browne.
He had a hip operation initially I think which was causing him the problem in his draft year. Given the Lion’s medical success you would think that worked but then he did an ankle and I’m told there was also another non injury problem which would have caused him to miss some time. He was considered a very high pick but for the hip problem so he may well be a good get

My daughter has inherited my blunt and practical sense. I told her about Sheppard and she said he now has another role - start my making father sons/daughter prospects

what can I say, the interest in drafting is in the blood

We could do with a couple of top order batsmen for the Aussie side as well.

He had a hip operation initially I think which was causing him the problem in his draft year. Given the Lion’s medical success you would think that worked but then he did an ankle and I’m told there was also another non injury problem which would have caused him to miss some time. He was considered a very high pick but for the hip problem so he may well be a good get
Yeah it was a leg burn which did him in more recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back