List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
So at this stage all the "Train On" players are as follows:

Tom Joyce. 181 cm 85 kg - Midfielder.

View attachment 1291690

Kade Dittmar. 186 cm 90 kg- Midfielder.

View attachment 1291692

Josh Browne. 185 cm 78 kg - Midfielder.

View attachment 1291693

Logan Young. 190 cm 85 kg - Midfielder.

View attachment 1291695

Luke Strnadica. 203 cm 103 kg - Ruckman.

View attachment 1291697

Love that all the prospects are looking West. ;)
Personally I'd prefer Browne>Dittmar. Wins heaps more of the ball, and if Browne can catch up in the kg department then he may close the gap in contested ball

Looking at the free agents list I wouldn’t be against trying to snag Bailey Dale. Losing Shepard and then Hurn he would be a good replacement for those guys.

Looking at the free agents list I wouldn’t be against trying to snag Bailey Dale. Losing Shepard and then Hurn he would be a good replacement for those guys.

Eh, Vic boy playing in Vic and winning AA selection.
Not sure how we entice him over, short of throwing ridiculous cash at him.

Our HBF post Hurn & Sheppard are Duggan, Nelson, Cole, Witherden, Foley, Rotham & Chesser. Do we want to blow huge money on another HBF to lure him west?

Our HBF post Hurn & Sheppard are Duggan, Nelson, Cole, Witherden, Foley, Rotham & Chesser. Do we want to blow huge money on another HBF to lure him west?

Chesser isn’t a HBF. Clearly been stated he will start as an outside mid.

You can only ask right. Good Chance it wouldn’t happen for the reasons you stated but you never know. He’s also better than most of those players you mentioned so would be an upgrade.

If we needed a half back flanker for 2023, we'd be better off checking to see if Daniel Rich wanted to come home and play his final year or two in Perth. He's unrestricted and would come a lot cheaper.

I’d love Dittmar cause his attributes alone in the midfield we lack. Even as a B or C grade mid he’d be one of those barometer type players
He's definitely AFL quality, he was top 40 talent in that draft.
Has real impact on games, just because of his power in stoppages. But also reliable kick in open play (rather than congestion) and can kick a goal, but for someone who missed a lot of footy in previous years his output this year was exceptional so likely on that linear growth.

Plays like a Yeo, and Yeo almost won our big footy best player in 2021 off half a year showing how much we as fans value someone like Yeo's contribution in tight. Not saying he'll turn out like Yeo, but even if he's half as good we'll get a good player.

If he stays fit, he should be the winning candidate.

Chesser isn’t a HBF. Clearly been stated he will start as an outside mid.

You can only ask right. Good Chance it wouldn’t happen for the reasons you stated but you never know. He’s also better than most of those players you mentioned so would be an upgrade.

He's had one good season after several years struggling to even keep his spot in the bulldogs side.
Happy to back our guys in and use the money elsewhere. Agree with you that he's a good name coming up as a RFA, but probably not the right target for us.

Re Chesser, hope you're right. But I'd take what the club says about his place in the team with a grain of salt. They're the same guys who tried to play Brander on a wing, drafted Gorter while overlooking Kelly and think a forward line of JK, JD, Allen, Waterman and a resting "5-touch" Vardy wasn't at all too tall^.

If Chesser couldn't crack it as a mid in the underage comps, where presumably he's more talented than most of his peers if he is getting draft at #14, I don't expect much at AFL level.

^Tongue in cheek in case someone decides to point out all the positives.

He's definitely AFL quality, he was top 40 talent in that draft.
Has real impact on games, just because of his power in stoppages. But also reliable kick in open play (rather than congestion) and can kick a goal, but for someone who missed a lot of footy in previous years his output this year was exceptional so likely on that linear growth.

Plays like a Yeo, and Yeo almost won our big footy best player in 2021 off half a year showing how much we as fans value someone like Yeo's contribution in tight. Not saying he'll turn out like Yeo, but even if he's half as good we'll get a good player.

If he stays fit, he should be the winning candidate.

Was he overlooked purely because of the previous back injury, or was there something else?
You make it sound like he should be on an AFL list, but the recruiters of 18 clubs thought otherwise. Curious what gives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we've drafter chesser as a HBFer then ...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Was he overlooked purely because of the previous back injury, or was there something else?
You make it sound like he should be on an AFL list, but the recruiters of 18 clubs thought otherwise. Curious what gives.
Led to believe it was previous back injury being the major reason, he mentioned stress fractures and had to give up cricket.

My thoughts are based on talent, and his impact on game compared to all the other draftees I saw. He's definitely top 40 in terms of quality, but off field I don't know him so that could've also been a reason like it was for a Sydney Stack. But based on the below interview (ignoring the little kid interviewing), he seems quite normal.
Training standard is another reason, but he was always travelling big distances to train each week so that can't be the reason here.

When you look at him, he's well developed but you can see he could still add plenty of size and strength so that combined with his growth this year you'd say he definitely AFL quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back