List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:

When you look into the ages in 2022, of the 23 to 27 year olds, Oscar and Ryan are our only likely A graders. Barrass, Sheed and Duggan are solid B graders.

Our A graders are JK turning 35, NN and Shuey 32, Gov, Darling and Gaff all turn 30 and even Yeo is about to turn 29.

Prior to the draft this year, our last previous haul of talent was in 2017 when we got Allen and Oscar. Hell, we don't have anyone on our list about to turn 21.
Barrass B grader? Would pick him over Gov any day.
Duggan was becoming A grade in defence. Wonder how the mid conversion is going with him?

Post Sheppard announcement and assuming the trialists come on board (not a definite but when you look at the list, it makes sense bith in position and age profile)

Blue are draftees
Red are trialists

View attachment 1293691
Good work ATG. You need to initial the Edwards like you did the Williams.

9 guys 30 or over, would have been 10 with Shep! And the guy we sold the farm, homestead and all our cattle for is 28.

At least three will retire end of 2022. Hurn, JK, Redden and depending on injuries Shuey.

2022 has the feel of a development year, but if we bring in the right youth it could be a 2015 or 2018 type (I can't see GF but could be 5-8) team improvement. But we've got to do what we did in 2018. Play the kids and give them an extended run. Run Ryan, Rioli, Winder and one or two other young guys through HFF and where appropriate, the middle. Cripps and Langdon look like depth with a full squad.

Play Witherden. He looked good before he was injured. High-ish possession, good disposal and pretty good run.

Don't play Gaff in the centre. He is an outside accumulator and run all day link man.

If we want a second ruck, play Williams. He'll get beaten a lot of the time, but he will improve and with an extra 10-15 games will look a different player.

Accept the fact that guys like Shuey and Hurn (and probably JK) will get soft tissue injuries and not play 22 games. Plan for it.

I'd like to see some inside grunt tried.

We'll all miss Shep. But we'll hopefully see what Chesser brings to the table.

Barrass B grader? Would pick him over Gov any day.
Duggan was becoming A grade in defence. Wonder how the mid conversion is going with him?
Gov has been an A grader (4 times AA is a definitive statement there)

Personally I only rate Barrass as a B grader. He has not had a great 3 years since the flag and you could say he has regressed.

I took the rating from Buckenara - argue all you want but he is neutral so I used that. Bucks list was published in the Herald Sun at the end of 2021.

1638868632464.png

Purely from visuals in that table, feels like our next window is going to be after guys like Darling, Gov, Cripps, Gaff and maybe even Yeo retire
I think we've got enough to contend until those guys retire. They're the cliff though - unless we find some top end talent to take their places, we're screwed for a few seasons. I think we'll be fine for the KPP but we're really hoping we find a couple of A grade mids out of the last two drafts (or somehow trade them in).

Personally I only rate Barrass as a B grader. He has not had a great 3 years since the flag and you could say he has regressed.

I took the rating from Buckenara - argue all you want but he is neutral so I used that. Bucks list was published in the Herald Sun at the end of 2021.

View attachment 1293784
Jake Waterman the first guy mentioned on the B list. I wouldn't even have him in the same grouping as the other B graders there.

I dont mind if chesser stays an outside mid, we need them as well.
If strnadica doesnt outperform williams dont get him, add an extra mid. Hedwards,gov or Oallen are all there to help out in the ruck

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

View attachment 1293784
Right, fair enough.
I’ve been harsh on Gov because he’s underperformed or been injured the last 2 years.
Hope the old Gov is back next season.

Post Sheppard announcement and assuming the trialists come on board (not a definite but when you look at the list, it makes sense bith in position and age profile)

Blue are draftees
Red are trialists

View attachment 1293691

This is not TIC but should Clark also be considered a half back?

A mid / def?

When picking a best 22 I put him on the bench as a mid but he could add a rotation down back or if an in game injury occured he was one of the few mids I thought could play defense.

This is not TIC but should Clark also be considered a half back?
In short? No.

I don't think we can afford to be rotating slow players down back, we need as much leg speed around the likes of Hurn and Witherden as possible.

Clark plays in the middle or nothing IMO. He probably jumps ahead of West in that category.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we've got enough to contend until those guys retire. They're the cliff though - unless we find some top end talent to take their places, we're screwed for a few seasons. I think we'll be fine for the KPP but we're really hoping we find a couple of A grade mids out of the last two drafts (or somehow trade them in).

How many years has Yeo and Kelly got left as A graders?

We need 1 current player to step up and we either draft or trade in another in the next 2 drafts.

In short? No.

I don't think we can afford to be rotating slow players down back, we need as much leg speed around the likes of Hurn and Witherden as possible.

Clark plays in the middle or nothing IMO. He probably jumps ahead of West in that category.

Pick your 4 on the bench and what we need.

In my rnd 1 side I had neither Hurn, Gov (inj) nor Witherden playing.

Foley Barrass Cole
Rotham Edwards Duggan

Bench: Williams Petruccelle Sheed Clark

I picked Clark on the bench as a mid and didnt want to drop him or Sheed for a bench defender.

So the choice is pick a defender on the bench or a mid who can defend. Maybe thats Edwards or Chesser. But Clark is plug and play and Yeo isnt playing back.

Totally agree we need leg speed and inside mids. But not a defender on the bench.

Shep out cogs in gws pay salary difference

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Have a feeling Cogs will have a bounce back year this year, and people will remember how good he is. Hard to have a good year as mid when your foot is ****ed. Trade season just gone was the time to get him.

Have a feeling Cogs will have a bounce back year this year, and people will remember how good he is. Hard to have a good year as mid when your foot is f’ed. Trade season just gone was the time to get him.
With Freo loading up on mids you’d have to think it’s unlikely they will pursue him too. Not that I think we are likely to either.

Why would we go for Cogs anyway. Hes 28. We need to rejuvenate our midfield with quality youth. Not be the next Geelong.

I think there's a place for both.

Never go full Geelong and bring in multiple 30+yo players, but there is also nothing wrong with getting 3-4 years out of a decent free agent. This makes even more sense if we are trying to build our next generation of midfield through the draft or trading in U22yo players (those players are generally on lower wages, plus need time to develop - so protecting them from too much exposure too early plus offsetting the higher wage of the experienced player).

If we were looking at 3-4 players in that age bracket I'd 100% agree with you (and if we were trading for them). But one, who is a FA, who 'may' be affordable (salary) is a good move.

For the record, I don't think Cogs is worth picking up at the end of the year. If he has a bounce back season he wouldn't come cheap.

The time was this off season if we wanted to take the risk. Hope his foot issues are over and he can get back to the 20+ touches 1+ goal a game that he was doing. Could have gotten him cheap/GWS paying a stack of his salary. Even then wouldn't have been overly open to it.

Would the club be paying out Sheps contract or does this fall under insurance?
He’d be paid something I’d guess. There was rumours floating around that Brad would sign whatever contract the Eagles put in front of him as he comes from a wealthy family, he preferred more years on the contract compared to the financials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back