List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
To be fair, he’s been the top over age performer in the NAB league this year, so his rating hasn’t just been based on that one game.

Talking to one of the RMC draft watchers, he said Culley would be in his top 20 this year, and mentioned his significant amount of improvement from last year.

So you would effectively be getting that big bodied, late first round mid, like a Jarrod Berry or Powell-Pepper (but a better user of the football), that a lot of clubs look for after the top end players have gone.

Pretty much what you’d want from a mid season draft, if you weren’t looking for a KPP.
Just saw his first half, wow.

Really hopeful we do what we need to land Culley then.

So if we were to do what we needed to land Culley & potentially Florenca in addition to Clark there's a pretty core group of inside mids, potentially leads towards taking Tsatas in the draft for some quality/speed on the outside?

Culley, Tsatas, Chesser, Hough if we could keep them all on the park looks like it'd be a pretty good start towards a rebuild.

In a few years something like:

B Bazzo Barrass Witherden
HB Chesser Hedwards Hough
C Tsatas Kelly Naish
HF Rioli Allen Tholstrup
F Winder Jilliams Ryan
R Jamieson Clark Culley
I Duggan, Roberton or Bruhn, Florenca

Could then look to plug holes through FA if Jamieson/Hedwards weren't to work out by potentially looking to get DGB/English back home

Last edited:
What’s the deal with nominating for the mid season draft? Is it automatic if you were in the draft last year, or could a player like Culley opt not to nominate?

If I was in his situation and looking likely to head across the country to a basket case club on rookie wages, I’d be strongly considering holding myself out of it until November.

What’s the deal with nominating for the mid season draft? Is it automatic if you were in the draft last year, or could a player like Culley opt not to nominate?

If I was in his situation and looking likely to head across the country to a basket case club on rookie wages, I’d be strongly considering holding myself out of it until November.

It's not automatic, they have to nominate.

On the one hand, you're right about the other side of the country plus us being a basket case. On the other hand there is guaranteed opportunity - probably immediately.

North are trying hard to get 'ahead' of us for the #1 pick based on recent performances, there is only about 45 points in it (which, to be fair, is well over what either team is capable of scoring in a match).

On the one hand, you're right about the other side of the country plus us being a basket case. On the other hand there is guaranteed opportunity - probably immediately.

North are trying hard to get 'ahead' of us for the #1 pick based on recent performances, there is only about 45 points in it (which, to be fair, is well over what either team is capable of scoring in a match).

North has Port, Melbourne and Saints
We have Melb, Giants and Dogs

Don't think either side is any real danger of winning so will be interesting monitoring % over those 3 weeks

Who is Norf playing this week? Up the mighty Kangas!

They have Port, Melbourne, Saints

We have Melbourne, Giants, Dogs

Them beating Port this week (very unlikely) would be the ultimate result for us (moves us up in both drafts), but in reality I see our game against the Giants as the most likely win from all 6 of those (still much less likely than likely - but if I had to pick one it would be the Giants game).

AFL clubs need to have a spare Rookie list position by 5:00pm (AEST) on May 31 to get a selection in the draft.

Circle the date in the calendar, write it in your diary, set a reminder on your phone whoever is in charge at Lathlain. Can we manage to not stuff this up atleast, surely it’s not too much to ask.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2022 Trade Targets. Should be able to nab at a reasonably small price.

Bailey Williams (WB) - The Bulldogs never let this guy settle into position, he'd be a bloody strong HB.

James Worpel - Has midfield weapons that we currently lack. Aggression, pace, linebreaker. The Hawks are doing an Essendon/Parish and trying to make him a HF. Chuck him in the guts and watch him fire.

Dev Robertson - May be the most expensive to nab but would provide immediate inside ball winning ability.

All player provide an immediate improvement on current.

Compliment with Pick 1, 19, 27 and 38 (or whatever they end up after sliding).

The side is off to a great start.

2022 Trade Targets. Should be able to nab at a reasonably small price.

Bailey Williams (WB) - The Bulldogs never let this guy settle into position, he'd be a bloody strong HB.

James Worpel - Has midfield weapons that we currently lack. Aggression, pace, linebreaker. The Hawks are doing an Essendon/Parish and trying to make him a HF. Chuck him in the guts and watch him fire.

Dev Robertson - May be the most expensive to nab but would provide immediate inside ball winning ability.

All player provide an immediate improvement on current.

Compliment with Pick 1, 19, 27 and 38 (or whatever they end up after sliding).

The side is off to a great start.

I know there has been talk on here already but I’d add Jeremy Sharpe to that list as well. The list manager will have a big October coming up.

I work with a gent who is well connected within the South Freo club hierarchy. He reckons Jake Florenca is locked in to west coast in mid season draft, some sort of handshake or verbal agreement has been done…pending a list spot becoming available.

Take it with a grain of salt and all that…

I work with a gent who is well connected within the South Freo club hierarchy. He reckons Jake Florenca is locked in to west coast in mid season draft, some sort of handshake or verbal agreement has been done…pending a list spot becoming available.

Thus is turning out to be an exciting year.

Just watched first half of the Colgate young guns game, fck me Jai Culley is a beast!
If we don't take him in the mid season draft, storm Lathlain.
Kicked 4.1 from the midfield in a half, not resting fwd from the midfield. Goals from 55m out that went over the back fence.
Tackles hard and fierce in the contest.
His kicking over 15 to 20 isn't great, but that's because he has a laser cannon and once he gets to use it hits targets lace out over 35m plus. Short kicks don't suit him.
Took a ball in the centre circle and hit the leading fwd lace out at the top of the goalsquare. This guy's long kicking is a standout.
I don't remember him being being this good last season.

He moves well too for his size and good overhead. We simply have to open a spot on our list for mid-season draft and get this guy in.
Rarely rate a guy after a half, but he's exactly what we need and his nab league form backs it up.

I'd be very tempted to play him off of half back as his long kicking is so good. Even if it's a precursor to full time midfield duties in the future it will improve his defensive game and his long kicking is a weapon at the moment.

Happy with this but hopefully we can open up another spot because he’ll most likely be there for our second pick if we have them. Florenca + Culley or Derksen would be amazing

I recall that players can also nominate the minimum contract length as well? So the prospect of moving across the country can be mitigated by requesting a 2yr deal.

They have Port, Melbourne, Saints

We have Melbourne, Giants, Dogs

Them beating Port this week (very unlikely) would be the ultimate result for us (moves us up in both drafts), but in reality I see our game against the Giants as the most likely win from all 6 of those (still much less likely than likely - but if I had to pick one it would be the Giants game).

In Vic there is growing outrage at how poor Nth is. There's no sympathy, just genuine anger. There is anger at the senior players they traded away a few years back, the early draft picks not coming on, the complete lack of KPP, etc etc.
If this starts reverberating internally, I can genuinely see their onfield performances getting even worse as players lose faith in the big plan.

My money is on Nth beating us to the #1 draft pick. At some stage our team will have a blinder and lose by a respectable margin, meanwhile Norf's percentage will continue getting hammered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back