List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
Let's be honest, trying to protect the ball with slow, methodical, safe ball movement is no longer taking us to where we want to be.

Maybe we need more chaotic 60m bombs to swarm on.
maybe he's the guy that thrives in the coal face. The look away bomb works as it clears 60m. Also would love to see Yeo being feed a bit nd using his pace

Let's be honest, trying to protect the ball with slow, methodical, safe ball movement is no longer taking us to where we want to be.

Absolutely.
In quite a few matches this year, commentators would question why we wouldnt just get the ball in quickly no matter how it went in. Especially when we had the forwards we had down there. But we would play a slow build up and give our forwards no chance.

Hey guys, sorry for intruding.
I've got to ask, is there any inside knowledge of what happened between the Swans and Barras?
He's obviously exactly what we need, and I'm aware that you guys aren't letting him go.

Was he at all interested in coming to the Swans, or did we only ask WC?

ALSO, if you HAD to put a trade value on him, what would it be? Multiple first rounders?

I've got to ask, is there any inside knowledge of what happened between the Swans and Barras?
He's obviously exactly what we need, and I'm aware that you guys aren't letting him go.

ALSO, if you HAD to put a trade value on him, what would it be? Multiple first rounders?

Your last question has been addressed previously in this thread but as a young man with a child about to arrive and a partner from WA it seems unlikely he'd heavily entertain an offer to leave, particularly to a club with a cap squeeze. He will own our backline soon.

That’s the game plan issue. And I doubt answer is worse skilled players.

Seriously people have no understanding.

Absolutely.
In quite a few matches this year, commentators would question why we wouldnt just get the ball in quickly no matter how it went in. Especially when we had the forwards we had down there. But we would play a slow build up and give our forwards no chance.
It was very painful to watch, and it was dead obvious week in, week out!!
Surely we don’t try the same next year ?
that would be plain ignorant

Doesn’t appear like there was a shred of inside knowledge to this.

Dan outlined why it’s highly unlikely he’d leave his west coast post (though stranger things have happened), but if he were to leave then we’d probably ask the question of some of the key young WA talent on your list in McDonald or Warner. I mean it’d be remiss of us not to ask!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why don’t we just concede that with our current coach we will continue to kick the ball backwards and sideways with fu** all tackles.
Given that, why not trade all our pics this year for picks next year.
We could give our new coach half a dozen high draft picks to rebuild our list, and quickly.
Well I mean, we did just recruit 2 brand new midfield coaches. That kind of heavily indicates WCE are looking to change things up.

How about giving it a chance before assuming the worst?

It's the game plan because when the ball hits the deck we have too many Jane's and not enough Tarzan's that actually want to win the thing back.

Given that it’s a collective issue, it’s the game plan and the type of training. Not a personnel issue.

Bringing a spare player who can’t kick isn’t going to solve that problem.

Many people think that we have a problem and skilled players and therefore link the two with answer simply being less skilled players. No. I simply don’t support bringing in players who can’t make it at other clubs where issue isn’t simply tough competition.

We know what sps and spp will bring to the table. 4-5 years is enough to know that and nothing there screams top 5 b&f players.

Solution is to get current players on board and playing tough and accountable football.

Side note: where is HoneyBadger35? Did the GF give him an aneurysm or has the early spring sun melted our ginger friend?
Column A/Column B.

This time of year is perfect for a quiet lurk and enjoying five team trades in which the Eagles send out Petch and pick 78 but somehow wind up with Bont in return. Loooooooove trade season 🙄

Solution is to get current players on board and playing tough and accountable football.

This would go a long way to addressing our woes. :thumbsu:

“…what’s that? You’re pretty happy with your big contract and your life in your home State with all your family and friends around?

Umm, hang on a minute, I’ll just see what Archie wants me to say now…”

It does highlight a significant issue with the AFL. Why are players (especially those who’ve earned what Jack has throughout his career) unable to be traded against their will?

It places way too much power in the players hands and limits a clubs options to rebuild.

I would be keen to keep Brander with the proviso that we turn him in to a KPD. Gov being out for the start of the season and a new defensive game plan for taking on the game may well be a big plus for him.

If we are trying to turn him into a defensive outside midfielder, we might as well start the mini rebuild now.

Rejection by other clubs could be the making of Brander ,if he uses it as motivation to prove ppl wrong next year ..

It does highlight a significant issue with the AFL. Why are players (especially those who’ve earned what Jack has throughout his career) unable to be traded against their will?

It places way too much power in the players hands and limits a clubs options to rebuild.

I’m not a fan of the US style of sports contracts that allow a team to trade a player overnight with or without their consent which seems unnecessarily brutal.

That said I do agree with you that the balance of power in trades has shifted to much in favour of players.

One way to partially address this imo is that if a player asks to be traded whilst under contract then his current club should be allowed to trade him without the players approval provided his existing contract conditions are maintained.

Interesting to note that Tom Morris mentioned SPS is only a day or so from getting out of 14 days quarantine. Is there a chance the deal is being delayed just so the club can get him in a polo and in front of the cameras?

Seems a cut and dried deal as a straight swap for pick 52 to have taken this long.

I’m not a fan of the US style of sports contracts that allow a team to trade a player overnight with or without their consent which seems unnecessarily brutal.

That said I do agree with you that the balance of power in trades has shifted to much in favour of players.

One way to partially address this imo is that if a player asks to be traded whilst under contract then his current club should be allowed to trade him without the players approval provided his existing contract conditions are maintained.
It does make a difference in the US where the professional athletes get paid in millions. Hell, pay me $5mln per annum and I’d move to Hobart, Darwin, Hoppers Crosding or even Cockburn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back