List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:

There are 2 obvious pick swaps for 2021 that will be moving before or during draft night
  • Dogs pick 23 and Pies pick 27
The media are saying that both clubs have enough points to cover the bid, however I believe they are assuming Horne goes number. If a bid is made at pick 1, the discount is 2,400 and neither club have the total points. A bid at 2 is discounted to 2,014 and a bid at 3 is discounted at 1,787 points meaning both clubs are covered.
  • Pies have 2,215 points and Dogs have 2,148 points.

Two buyers for picks 23 and 27 stick out like dog’s balls
- Richmond with picks 7, 15, 26, 28, 38 and 40
- Geelong with picks 22, 30, 32, 34, 50

Nothing we can do with 29, 35 and 68 that interests me or makes me think we are in with a chance.

Turning our attention to future picks, then the door opens for us. I believe Brisbane are tight on list spots and will therefore not use all of their points bearing picks of 14, 18, 41, 54 and 60. They are also looking at 2 NGA/FS selections in 2022 with Ashcroft likely to be a top 10 pick. Therefore, I see a great opportunity to help them move up the board in 2021 and to move points from this year to next year.

Proposal:
West Coast trade 10 and a next year R2 pick for 14 and 18.

That would leave us with 14, 18, 29 and 35. I would then look to sell off 68 to a club like St Kilda for a future R4. They will need points for 2 NGA prospects this year. There will be other takers.

Rationale:-
I think we will get a similar class mid at 10 as we will get at 14 (probably still get MJ, or Goater or Wanganeen etc) plus we get van Rooyen or another class mid at 18. At 29, we go for a tough inside like Sheldrick or Taylor. At 35 we pick up another midfielder like Joshua Browne or alike.

That would leave us with taking NGA Regan as a rookie along with a Polson or Jones. Follow up with Farmer or Lawson as Cat B prospects.

We effectively bring forward our second rounder by 12 months and get an additional year of development into them prior to losing some of our older mids, whilst we retain our first third and have 2 x fourth rounders next year.

Looking visually at the picks retained and traded for next year, it looks Freo have very little to trade next year and the Suns have banked picks again with 3 second rounders (sound familiar). Maybe Rawlings gets Norf to buy the 2 R2!!!

1634194137229.png

There are 2 obvious pick swaps for 2021 that will be moving before or during draft night
  • Dogs pick 23 and Pies pick 27
The media are saying that both clubs have enough points to cover the bid, however I believe they are assuming Horne goes number. If a bid is made at pick 1, the discount is 2,400 and neither club have the total points. A bid at 2 is discounted to 2,014 and a bid at 3 is discounted at 1,787 points meaning both clubs are covered.
  • Pies have 2,215 points and Dogs have 2,148 points.

Two buyers for picks 23 and 27 stick out like dog’s balls
- Richmond with picks 7, 15, 26, 28, 38 and 40
- Geelong with picks 22, 30, 32, 34, 50

Nothing we can do with 29, 35 and 68 that interests me or makes me think we are in with a chance.
If we really rated someone on the board at 23 we could always offer next year's second rounder... 🤷‍♂️

Just on the Brander situation, it certainly sucks losing him for nothing. I guess if he wasn't a first round pick we probably wouldn't think twice, but its probably amplified by the fact we haven't had many disastrous first round picks in the last 10-15 years like many other clubs have had.

The silver lining is we basically get a first round pick from 1 draft before for nothing as well, a player which probably suits our needs a lot better.

The problem for brander is even after JK retires, its hard to see how he still fits in our forward line. You'd argue JD, Allen and Waterman are all ahead of him, not to mention a resting ruck type such as Williams. He clearly doesn't want to play midfield or defence so he is essentially waiting for a JD retirement to get a regular game

If we really rated someone on the board at 23 we could always offer next year's second rounder... 🤷‍♂️
Pick will be wiped out within the first 4 picks if Doggies still hold it come draft night. Too early to call whether there is a single player at 23 or not prior to pick 4. Therefore I suggest these 2 picks will be traded at a decent premium and I suspect it won't happen until a bid comes on their F/S and it will have been pre arranged.

So looking at the list changes, AFL.com showing Cameron as delisted. We hear XON is extended and Brander is probably not coming back. Therefore we have 9 off the list and 1 traded in meaning we have 6 players to draft (we were already 2 over the standard list with West and Collins taken mid year)

1634195338727.png

So the question is will we prioritise Pick 68 over Brander and try to get a Dittmar type or so we offer Brander a rookie spot at the expense of Polson?

There is obviously something really sticky in the Brander locker as his 2021 first half output was pretty decent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turning our attention to future picks, then the door opens for us. I believe Brisbane are tight on list spots and will therefore not use all of their points bearing picks of 14, 18, 41, 54 and 60. They are also looking at 2 NGA/FS selections in 2022 with Ashcroft likely to be a top 10 pick. Therefore, I see a great opportunity to help them move up the board in 2021 and to move points from this year to next year.

Proposal:

That would leave us with 14, 18, 29 and 35. I would then look to sell off 68 to a club like St Kilda for a future R4. They will need points for 2 NGA prospects this year. There will be other takers.

I think we will get a similar class mid at 10 as we will get at 14 (probably still get MJ, or Goater or Wanganeen etc) plus we get van Rooyen or another class mid at 18. At 29, we go for a tough inside like Sheldrick or Taylor. At 35 we pick up another midfielder like Joshua Browne or alike.

That would leave us with taking NGA Regan as a rookie along with a Polson or Jones. Follow up with Farmer or Lawson as Cat B prospects.

We effectively bring forward our second rounder by 12 months and get an additional year of development into them prior to losing some of our older mids, whilst we retain our first third and have 2 x fourth rounders next year.

Looking visually at the picks retained and traded for next year, it looks Freo have very little to trade next year and the Suns have banked picks again with 3 second rounders (sound familiar). Maybe Rawlings gets Norf to buy the 2 R2!!!

View attachment 1260417
Then on draft night
14 sinn
18 van rooyen

The whole board
20211014_151524.jpg

Then night two
29 sheldrick
35 dittmah

Dark sharks
20211014_151625.jpg

Proposal:

View attachment 1260417
Im really torn on this given the draft next year.
Can you make it so we lose 68 and R3 next year please? I really want to keep R1 and R2 for next year. (but I still want 18 this year;))

WTF-ypxogv.jpg

Proposal:

View attachment 1260417
Not bad at all.

My proposal:
WCE 2022 1st (pick 10?) + WCE 2022 2nd (pick 30?) + 29 + 35
for
Brisbane 2022 1st (pick 17?) + 14 + 18

Equiv of pick 72 in points gain for the Lions.

Leaves us with 10, 14, 18, 68 to go hard this year for picks (Johnson, JVR, Sheldrick, Erasmus, Browne etc). Obviously a gamble for 2022 placing, but that could be a massive motivating factor. Brisbane's list is strong and they need points for 2022, and we don't lose a first round pick for the 2022 draft. They might be happy to slip down the order with two mid second rounders if that means strengthening for 2022.

the mod suggesting we take a first round pick for brander was a touch off the money
I wonder what the hell happened, seems like a total breakdown in the relationship between club and player bad enough that neither wants anything to do with the other.
I'm surprised the rumour mill hasn't produced anything as an explanation yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back