List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
So Brisbane give us 3 1st rounders for 1 future pick and a couple of 2nds?

They aren’t the Suns, they wouldn’t do that in a million years.

Brisbane also have a couple highly rated academy kids next year they’ll need to match bids for, so I don’t think our future first would hold as much value to them.

Pick 10 and 29 for their 14 and 18 could be possible, I’d only do that if certain guys were off the board at 10 though.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
They would have our first, and two seconds. That's a strong position to match bids next year.

Pick 10 this year is pretty valuable to us. They are in the premiership window and might be happy to forego their chance at the top end this year knowing what they have coming through next year.

The only way I can envision Brander signing on if he agrees to continue plying his trade on the wing & HFF.
Would be hilarious if he ends up at another club and plays in the same position.
I believe that the club still rates him highly but not as a potential KPP.
So I think that the decision was purely made by Brander & his management to knock back any offer of a contract extension because of his insistence that he be given opportunities as a KPP if he were to have a future at the club.
This may have caused some bad blood which may have led to the club seemingly wanting to wash their hands of him.
Even earlier in the season the club seemed really excited about his potential and his future at the club.

Last edited:

Elite endurance?

Wasn't Constable the player who had to do a mini pre season before the draft because his time trials were so poor ?

Had to do another time trial privately
Yeah he was. I said prior to drafting. Glad we didnt get him and Geelong found out the hard way.

Love the look of this guy from Sandringham

Luke Nankervis
Sandringham Dragons, NAB League / Bentleigh FC
State: Victoria (Metro)
Height: 189cm
Weight: 76kg
Date of Birth: 25/05/03

Medium forward who can win his own ball, using his speed and aerial ability to impact the game. Can push up and play on the wing or even on the inside through the midfield given his combative style. Played eight matches for the Dragons this year, averaging 13.5 disposals along with 3.4 marks and 0.5 goals.

Also averaged 5.4 tackles playing on the HFF / wing .

This is what we need guys on the wing who have pace , fight tooth and nail for the ground balls and tackle

He also has a jedi rats tail

Why would we limit ourselves to WA players?

Fascinates me that people only want us to pick players from only 15 percent of draft pool. I honestly don’t think people realise how small a number of players from wa get drafted.

And also fascinates me that we somehow should know wa players than anyone. Which is no longer true and our drafting team moved to east coast few years ago.

People disproportionally think about players wanting to go home. It’s like dating a girl and you are constantly paranoid she will leave. No way to live a life.

I wonder what the hell happened, seems like a total breakdown in the relationship between club and player bad enough that neither wants anything to do with the other.
I'm surprised the rumour mill hasn't produced anything as an explanation yet.
I heard a very believable story very early in the season. Offside with club president apparently.

Elite endurance?

Wasn't Constable the player who had to do a mini pre season before the draft because his time trials were so poor ?

Had to do another time trial privately

The joke among Geelong fans was that he didn't even have the required fitness levels to be named as a substitute this year.

Has spent four years in the system and his fitness is worse than when he was drafted.

Just doesn't have the necessary dedication to make it as a professional footballer.

Considering in just his second AFL game he had 31 disposals and 7 clearances from less than 70% time on ground - another case of talent wasting opportunity.

I heard a very believable story very early in the season. Offside with club president apparently.
From what I have heard about nisbett is he is overly loyal to people at the club and often keeps people on even if there performance is sub par because they are loyal to the club also .

But when you break that loyalty he is not the forgiving type

They would have our first, and two seconds. That's a strong position to match bids next year.

Pick 10 this year is pretty valuable to us. They are in the premiership window and might be happy to forego their chance at the top end this year knowing what they have coming through next year.

Yeah but it makes no sense for them to trade 2 firsts they could actually use for future picks that they will lose due to matching bids on, they can just find ways to secure a couple 2nds / 3rds if need be

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Fascinates me that people only want us to pick players from only 15 percent of draft pool. I honestly don’t think people realise how small a number of players from wa get drafted.

And also fascinates me that we somehow should know wa players than anyone. Which is no longer true and our drafting team moved to east coast few years ago.

People disproportionally think about players wanting to go home. It’s like dating a girl and you are constantly paranoid she will leave. No way to live a life.
such logic is out of place here, Chris Judd and out last two captains like it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

such logic is out of place here, Chris Judd and out last two captains like it

To be fair, this year and last there is a reason to mostly limit our picks to WA and SA players (exposed form, development etc).

But you are right, taking the best player (in the clubs eyes) and backing ourselves to retain them is definitely the only option. If they happen to be from WA (and I think our first this year will be) then great - but if not, so be it.

We don't tend to lose too many players who we want to retain.

To be fair, this year and last there is a reason to mostly limit our picks to WA and SA players (exposed form, development etc).

But you are right, taking the best player (in the clubs eyes) and backing ourselves to retain them is definitely the only option. If they happen to be from WA (and I think our first this year will be) then great - but if not, so be it.

We don't tend to lose too many players who we want to retain.
Our retention record is fantastic, players drafted will not make a major contribution next season regardless, unless we hit the jackpot. Just get the best. Over 2/3 of the population live in the S/E corner

The only way I can envision Brander signing on if he agrees to continue plying his trade on the wing & HFF.
Would be hilarious if he ends up at another club and plays in the same position.
I believe that the club still rates him highly but not as a potential KPP.
So I think that the decision was purely made by Brander & his management to knock back any offer of a contract extension because of his insistence that he be given opportunities as a KPP if he were to have a future at the club.
This may have caused some bad blood which may have led to the club seemingly wanting to wash their hands of him.
Even earlier in the season the club seemed really excited about his potential and his future at the club.

I wonder if this quote from the article was an indication about how the club feels about Brander and what's holding him back?

"There's no ceiling for Jarrod and it's going to be up to him on how hard he's prepared to work on his craft and his body and his mind."

Not bad at all.

My proposal:
WCE 2022 1st (pick 10?) + WCE 2022 2nd (pick 30?) + 29 + 35
for
Brisbane 2022 1st (pick 17?) + 14 + 18

Equiv of pick 72 in points gain for the Lions.

Leaves us with 10, 14, 18, 68 to go hard this year for picks (Johnson, JVR, Sheldrick, Erasmus, Browne etc). Obviously a gamble for 2022 placing, but that could be a massive motivating factor. Brisbane's list is strong and they need points for 2022, and we don't lose a first round pick for the 2022 draft. They might be happy to slip down the order with two mid second rounders if that means strengthening for 2022.

Your scenario gains them 1000 points next year, though on the proviso that the ladder finishes reflect 2021. Would be a bit of a gamble for Brisbane to the tune of 2 first round draftees in exchange for kids they can pick up with a combination of 2022 & 2023 draft picks.

Don't think they'd be keen to trade out of the first round this year completely.

How about:
WCE 2021 pick 35 + WCE 2022 2nd (pick ~30)
for
Brisbane 2021 pick 18

Brisbane transfer between 502 & 948 points into next year (depending on WCE ladder finish), but downgrade their pick 18.
Brisbane's gamble in this scenario is significantly less.

We go to the draft with 10, 18 & 29.

Sier delisted from Pies. Still only 23 (that age bracket we are short in).

Big mid ready to go straight away for our 2022 last roll of the dice flag tilt? Draftees wont impact in 2022 but SPS and a Sier would add great depth costing us nothing but net pick 52, salary cap and list spots.

Excellent depth for Yeo and Redden with Redden turning 31 next season.

That bad memory of 2018 might be an issue. Do we go mature with a late pick or two?

Last edited:
I wonder if this quote from the article was an indication about how the club feels about Brander and what's holding him back?

"There's no ceiling for Jarrod and it's going to be up to him on how hard he's prepared to work on his craft and his body and his mind."
But but but many learned people here have told us the problem was WC f*cked up his development not that he couldn't be arsed putting the work in.

Not bad at all.

My proposal:
WCE 2022 1st (pick 10?) + WCE 2022 2nd (pick 30?) + 29 + 35
for
Brisbane 2022 1st (pick 17?) + 14 + 18

Equiv of pick 72 in points gain for the Lions.

Leaves us with 10, 14, 18, 68 to go hard this year for picks (Johnson, JVR, Sheldrick, Erasmus, Browne etc). Obviously a gamble for 2022 placing, but that could be a massive motivating factor. Brisbane's list is strong and they need points for 2022, and we don't lose a first round pick for the 2022 draft. They might be happy to slip down the order with two mid second rounders if that means strengthening for 2022.

They can do better than a net 72 point gain trading 3 first rounders. Easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back