List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
The have been lots of posters disc WA prospects - myself included. I’m not sure of others but there is reason for using local names.

1. Over the past 2 years, the WAFL and SANFL have continued but the Vic u18 has been limited meaning clubs are going on very little info and hoping the conversation with Vic junior coaches fills in some gaps.

2. With WA and SA playing the only 3 relevant games, we have seen Sheldrick play on Roberts but not Gibcus play on Darcy. In the colts GF we saw Bazzo shut down the dominance of JvR. Without the carnival, it is guesswork how good some of the Vic guys are.

3. I had intended on being in Melbourne the last 2 years to catch up with EastcoastEagle and Monocle but there has been no carnival and the borders are effectively shut. We normally discuss WA and Vic prospects with the other 2 named also watching a load of SA footage. I confess to not doing the SA bit.

4. If you read my posts, you will note the use of “a player like …” meaning a like for like player eg MJ or Arlo. A load of our posters can have discussions based on what they have seen so it stays relevant.

5. The draft this year has some real evenness and 10 to 22 then the 25 to 40 feel like 2 even ranges. Hence again the use of of “a player like …”. Example - Taylor v Sheldick v Browne.

Does our club take best local? Rarely. It has a great system in place. That said, an 18 year old away from home that gets parents visiting and goes home every couple of months tends to settle. A significantly bigger test in a lockdown world with closed interstate borders. Given today’s world, I would go MJ over an interstate option for that very reason (assuming the gap between them is not too great).

My major concern has been the Pieman has a record of going best available early and addressing needs later.

I want him to moderate that to address the lack of inside and balanced mids. I am also tired of hearing a flanker who has a run in some quarters is a mid. We were even told that Oscar might play mid (I do not think Bond meant ruck).

I am hoping the 2 recruits that will improve our team are already picked in Schofield and Knights. A change in game plan coupled with priority at the draft to our midfield will ensure we do not fall from 9th and have a chance to push top 4 in 2022 (mindset shift needed here), improving out S&C team, and better development.

Sier delisted from Pies. Still only 23 (that age bracket we are short in).

Big mid ready to go straight away for our 2022 last roll of the dice flag tilt? Draftees wont impact in 2022 but SPS and a Sier would add great depth costing us nothing but net pick 52, salary cap and list spots.

Excellent depth for Yeo and Redden with Redden turning 31 next season.
Sier is crap. Doesn't have close to the tank required to be an AFL level mid.

Big mid ready to go straight away for our 2022 last roll of the dice flag tilt? Draftees wont impact in 2022 but SPS and a Sier would add great depth costing us nothing but net pick 52, salary cap and list spots.

It’s a no for Phil Inn for me.

If our club had the spirit of 2018, then it might be different. To successfully bring in misfits, you need to be the LV Raider, Richmond or a united team that is well led. We are not any of these three

It’s a no for Phil Inn for me.

If our club had the spirit of 2018, then it might be different. To successfully bring in misfits, you need to be the LV Raider, Richmond or a united team that is well led. We are not any of these three

The last two years have been crap, mentally and physically (injuries). How many injuries were the result of reduced training loads, either forced or unforced (relaxing). Fix that and we have fitter players available more often. Thats how we improve 5-10% in one preseason. Nothing to do with list changes.

As for the spirit of 2018....................that can return but its all above the shoulders.

1634260954683.png

Talent is there.........but what about the mind set?

Rather looks at guy like Bailey Rogers and/or Greg Clark - WAFL players with hunger ready to step it up on the next level.

Will they nominate for the rookie draft?

Can see us using our 4th on a Rogers or Clark. Sheldrick as a slider. If we get MJ earlier then Rogers.

I hope we use one rookie spot on a mature recruit, likely KPP / ruck.

There are some decent young footballers being delisted earlier that in previous years imo. Cap pressure is tight and uncertain, clubs are wary of what has happened to others and so are possibly cutting players early as a draftee has no bargaining power, mini cap dumps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris Judd was 14 years ago.

We would have drafted 50-80 players since then.
Including the two other guys he mentioned, plus Gaff (heading into his 12th season), Duggan (8th, contracted for two more after that), Nelson (also 8th), Cole (7th)…

Our ability to hang on to quality talent we draft from interstate is pretty good.

View attachment 1260862
[/QUOTE]
1634257856293.png

Keys some of these young fellas are having a go at us old timers.

Surely as a MOD you can moderate such blatant "ageism" off our board with issuing some suspensions. ;)

I don't think we need to be picking off another clubs crapheap. I'd rather take a punt on another Connor West.

I don't think we need to be picking off another clubs crapheap. I'd rather take a punt on another Connor West.

Agree I would rather take a punt on Bailey Rogers or Greg Clark.

Will they nominate for the rookie draft?

Can see us using our 4th on a Rogers or Clark. Sheldrick as a slider. If we get MJ earlier then Rogers.

I hope we use one rookie spot on a mature recruit, likely KPP / ruck.

There are some decent young footballers being delisted earlier that in previous years imo. Cap pressure is tight and uncertain, clubs are wary of what has happened to others and so are possibly cutting players early as a draftee has no bargaining power, mini cap dumps.

It's always interesting to see who falls in the draft. I still don't get how Schliotte or Jye Bolton never got another shot at AFL so you never know. It's a question of if they want to be full time footballers, right? With the aligment stuff now, maybe it's easier for guys to nominate?

Look at Sheldirck. For all his success in the last month, he's a short, slow inside mid with a average kick and and average vision. He has plus toughness and leadership, and has a knack for being at the right place, but it wouldn't surprise me if he's a late pick or rookie. The Vic players lack of exposure is another wild card. I expect a lot of variation and unknown in this draft, because I'm guessing the school footy will be quite a large input in decisions.

I tend to agree with you - but with the disclaimer that we should look at delisted players under the age of 22.

Doesn't mean we should pick them up, but in that age bracket it is worth having a look at what went wrong (naturally all/most players on AFL lists have the required talent - insert Burrows or Gorter reference - but some have injuries, development issues etc).

JJ is a great example of this. If we picked up a player of his ability and application every season off the scrapheap we'd be doing very well!

Two things

Firstly, this borderline belongs in the incompetent media thread as I’m sure Collingwood isn’t the only club desperate for the AFL to kick in the 2022 salary cap so why single them out.

Secondly, why the * hasn’t this already been done. Trade period just finished and clubs didn’t know what the cap for next year is. Information that might have been handy when negotiating deals you’d think

And another thing, yes I know that’s now 3, maybe this explains why JK and Hurn haven’t signed new deals yet as perhaps we’re waiting to know what the cap will be before settling on contract amounts

Two things

Firstly, this borderline belongs in the incompetent media thread as I’m sure Collingwood isn’t the only club desperate for the AFL to kick in the 2022 salary cap so why single them out.

Secondly, why the fu** hasn’t this already been done. Trade period just finished and clubs didn’t know what the cap for next year is. Information that might have been handy when negotiating deals you’d think

And another thing, yes I know that’s now 3, maybe this explains why JK and Hurn haven’t signed new deals yet as perhaps we’re waiting to know what the cap will be before settling on contract amounts

Happened last year too. Though last year can be somewhat forgiven with covid being relatively new to the block.

Complete and utter incompetence from the AFL for this not to be known this year.

It actually boggles the mind.

You could be right on Hurn and Kennedy. Its probably a two way-street in that they're not sure whether they can be bothered playing on another year for peanuts, and the club is not yet sure exactly how many list spots and salary cap they have left.

You'd hope the AFL would have given some assurances like "it won't go down". unlikely to go up much, we'll keep you posted...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back