List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
You'd think so but WCE have an unwarranted hard on for petch.

I just dont see it. Only has speed, no poise.
Except our own board poster rated him as our 11th best player this year and jones wasn't even top 20. I know games played will have a part in that however if people think that speed is the only attribute he has then they're clearly not paying much attention to him.

Developing nicely every season, especially for a player with a limited footy background prior to drafting. As long as there's year on year improvement hat's all you can ask for.

Best 22 when fit for me. His best games have been better than Jones' also, however I do think there's a place in the side for Jones also.

Petch has speed and hurt factor when he plays well. He just needs to get more consistent and his body stronger to string more games together. Every season he has improved somewhere, with a couple of nasty hamstring injuries plus covid to deal with.

You make some valid points Obeanie1

However.

What he really needs is to use that speed of his ............. in TWO way running.

I swear to God that he always seems to me as if he runs 20% quicker running towards the goals than he does running away from it.

With that blistering pace of his, he should be applying speed to chase and run down opposition defenders that are exiting our forward 50 with ball in hand.

Classic greedy hungry forward, that get an extra boost of speed if they think a goal may be in the offing, pity he doesn't apply similar defensive pressure with his pace, should he ever develop this trait to his game he will be a very dangerous and effective HFF.

Clubs delist first round picks all the time after a few years. This must have been our first in a long time if ever.
Exactly. Carlton effectively just delisted two top 10 picks this year alone, Gold Coast another. The player taken directly after Brander was just delisted by Sydney.

Mid teens picks get delisted every year.

The fact we drafted him in the first place and didn’t trade him for Kelly (if true) are * ups, but him being delisted isn’t that big a deal.

You make some valid points Obeanie1

However.

What he really needs is to use that speed of his ............. in TWO way running.

I swear to God that he always seems to me as if he runs 20% quicker running towards the goals than he does running away from it.

With that blistering pace of his, he should be applying speed to chase and run down opposition defenders that are exiting our forward 50 with ball in hand.

Classic greedy hungry forward, that get an extra boost of speed if they think a goal may be in the offing, pity he doesn't apply similar defensive pressure with his pace, should he ever develop this trait to his game he will be a very dangerous and effective HFF.

Yes I know the type you are describing.

Re Petch and running flat out, with those two or is it three hamstring injuries, one was a 9 week rehab, I feel Petch hasnt got his body developed yet nor knows how hard he can push without breaking.

Read elsewhere gun players looking back saying they went flat out when they were younger and injured themselves pushing the limits. Then with a more developed body and experience they knew what they could do, more often and for longer without breaking down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone enlighten me as to how we messed up the whole erasmus nga thing

Remarkable offield cluster that. A costly shambles when you factor the opportunity cost of not picking up Kelly in 2017. The whole thing is going to hurt us for years to come. What a s**t period its been after also losing Venables and crashing out of finals despite adding four AA players to our premiership winning list. .

Can someone enlighten me as to how we messed up the whole erasmus nga thing

It's not that straight forward as "we messed the whole thing up " the young player has to be wanting to be part of the NGA and in his case cricket was his number one priority consequently he choose cricket over football.

My understanding of the situation, now after have been given some more information by someone very close to the matter, is that the Club tried but neither his family ( parents ) or he were keen to commit to football over cricket.
So he didn't sign on for the NGA.

Things change and players in both sports develop at different rates and kids change their minds.

So by the time that he realised that he preferred football over cricket, the time had well passed for us to be able to list him as a NGA player.

North has delisted Trent Dumont from the sounds

Some fairly decent players being delisted

It's not that straight forward as "we messed the whole thing up " the young player has to be wanting to be part of the NGA and in his case cricket was his number one priority consequently he choose cricket over football.

My understanding of the situation, now after have been given some more information by someone very close to the matter, is that the Club tried but neither his family ( parents ) or he were keen to commit to football over cricket.
So he didn't sign on for the NGA.

Things change and players in both sports develop at different rates and kids change their minds.

So by the time that he realised that he preferred football over cricket, the time had well passed for us to be able to list him as a NGA player.

Thanks for that, sounds like less of an administrative stuff-up than it did previously.

And of no actual consequence anyway if he goes in the top 20, which seems almost certain.

So with Brander being delisted do we think list mangers are thinking of getting another key fwd/back in his place like he was drafted for or do we think they will go a mid instead?

He obviously struggled to find a role with our bounty of tall stocks atm but give it a couple of years and Kennedy, gov, darling and Barrass are all finished up or finishing and we will need more. That being said we need more mids/mid options at the moment.

Will be interesting to see the drafting strategy.

On SM-N950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

At least the Brander delisting goes some way to explaining his weird mid-season “back injury” after he was not named in either the Beagles nor the senior side. Took ages for the club to come out with what the hell was going on. Barely got a look in for the rest of the year after that.

Reckon there is more to him being let go than meets the eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back