List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Well it's true though. Nobody blames Rawlings or Glass for being unable to draft an A-grade midfielder (unless Trew/Winder/Edwards come on of course).

I actually agree, and was pre-empting the inevitable rebuttal based on previous arguments.

Seems my angles were way too subtle and the wrong people liked the comment :straining:

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I actually agree, and was pre-empting the inevitable rebuttal based on previous arguments.

Seems my angles were way too subtle and the wrong people liked the comment :straining:
I thought you might but considering how some of the denizens on this board post it can be hard to tell who's joking sometimes..

Schtinker

JUST TAKE MCKERCHER
Aug 11, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
So for those that want to lament Brander being delisted, here is the top 40 from 2017
View attachment 1263803

Three first rounders delisted and 5 delisted in the next 22.

I have redone the top 18 (ie what a genuine first round should look like) and WCE have 3 players in my rankings;
View attachment 1263805

So we stuffed up with Brander and paid a load for Kelly but in my book we got 3 of the best 10 players from the 2017 draft now on the Eagles list.

Can we move on from Brander and Ainsworth please?

We could have traded 13 and 21 for 10 and picked up Lochie O'Brien

Eagle Wrath

Cancelled
Zombie Lover
Oct 22, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
A good right winger is a glaring need for us. I hate seeing Redden thrown there. Seems to be a part time position for us. I wish we would try our players in a few new positions when things arent working. Why not try Cripps there? Would free up a forward position and I think Cripps has the speed and tank to play the wing. Its a very difficult position to play and he now should have the experience to play well there. Hes usually up the ground anyway.

I would love to see Petch make it his own but not sure he can.

Last edited:

ghostbat12

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
It never should have come to this.

If it was going to cause this much of an issue with Brander where he wants nothing to do with the club then that's on the bloody club for either having no plan, or poisoning the well with one of their own. Total failure.

How you can turn a kid draftee who's a massive eagles fan into a jaded player that wants nothing to do with the club 4 years later is beyond me.

At the very least, IF there was an inkling Brander was heading in this direction the club should have traded him in the Kelly deal. Or offloaded him LAST year even, when he might've been worth something. Hell, we've all been speculating for a couple years now that Brander "Would be pissed off" and that it's only a matter of time before he leaves. And this is us, with no ties to the club at all.

Instead they've ran a first round draft pick into the ground will criminally bad development, had the ******* president go on radio and publicly show how much we don't rate him to alleviate any doubt whatsoever about his trade value, then eventually he walks out the door for nothing. Brander and his manager wanting out is fine, but how did we get him to that point?

How ever which way you spin it, this has been horrible list management and player development from day 1 until now.

I am pretty sure he got same development help as Oscar Allen. Same coaches. So..maybe a bit is up to player? So maybe he wasn’t up to it. You always hold onto a player, just in case and gave it a year. Nothing wrong with that.

But a couple of those soft efforts probably convinced coaches that there is too much to work with. Players want to leave for all sorts of reasons, opportunity is one.

bombard

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
A good right winger is a glaring need for us. I hate seeing Redden thrown there. Seems to be a part time position for us. I wish we would try our players in a few new positions when things arent working. Why not try Cripps there? Would free up a forward position and I think Cripps has the speed and tank to play the wing. Its a very difficult position to play and he now should have the experience to play well there. Hes usually up the ground anyway.

I would love to see Petch make it his own but not sure he can.

Plenty of good right wingers in the various COVID threads around the board mate.

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself)

Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Some murmurs going around that we've breached the salary cap, hence why Vozzo has vacated his position. Just some information that was passed on from a source at The Australian Sporting Commission.
Has Vozzo actually vacated? Or just on break.
You'd think this gets made public if we've breached.

Ridge Renegade

Debutant
Nov 5, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Branders departure opens up our top pick getting a decent number unless SPS gets given 10.

10, 18, 19, 33, 34 are some of the better numbers to open up. Think Harry Edwards deserves to move out of the 40's.

Also who ever allowed Langdon to get 7 is a noob
I like the way you're thinking
Edwards in 19
Erasmus in 10
Sheldrick in 18
Hough in 33
🤔😏

83c128319a4f06bd4a8a1d42b2fbfb13282f63a1.gifv

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Worth considering James Cousins as a rookie if only so we can have another Cousins in the side? Always managed to get decent stats for Hawthorn.

Worth considering James Cousins as a rookie if only so we can have another Cousins in the side? Always managed to get decent stats for Hawthorn.

Underrated. It's criminal you're not getting the appreciation you deserve for jokes like this.

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Branders departure opens up our top pick getting a decent number unless SPS gets given 10.

10, 18, 19, 33, 34 are some of the better numbers to open up. Think Harry Edwards deserves to move out of the 40's.

Also who ever allowed Langdon to get 7 is a noob

7 has generally been the whipping boy number... seems perfect for Langdon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back