List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
Sure, swapping out Brander and Ainsworth for 2 players who are good players would have made it a perfect draft - but I'm not sure if any team has really ever had a perfect draft.

Our 2017 draft was elite by any measure. 3 x B22 players from 5 picks (all picks inside 40) - 1 of those players is already an AA, Allen projects to get to that level, and petch is B22.
Our 2010 was pretty good: Gaff, Darling, Lycett and Gov in the Rookiee draft. Rebuilt the spine in one go.

From all reports Vozzo was/is being groomed to be Nisbett's replacement and years of development from the clubs perspective have gone into that. For him to go would be a big loss. I hope a month or couple of month's break is enough to recharge the batteries and he comes back to the club eager and raring to go. I really hope the extra's burdens combined with travel restrictions haven't severely hampered his mental health as it would be truly sad for him but also a huge loss to the club.
If Vozzo was going to leave I'd prefer that they push Nisbett into retirement rather than lose him. I'm a fan of Nisbett but he is the JK/Hurn of the back-office, close to the end and the understudy could be with us for 10+ years.

What do the stats tell us we need . Running Half back Flanker and a hard ball getter . Our guns of the past (Hurn , Shepherd, Jetta ) . Need a new penetrating kicker . If Cole ,Nelson and Duggan are in the 22 we are stagnating .
STAT2021 AVG.RANK
Clearance Diff.+1.4#6
Scores from Stoppages31.6#6
Bad stats
STAT2021 AVG.RANK
Oppo Score per In5047.0%#17
Groundball Diff.-14.4#18
D50 to I5018.7%#18

Last edited:
What do the stats tell us we need . Running Half back Flanker and a hard ball getter . Our guns of the past (Hurn , Shepherd, Jetta ) . Need a new penetrating kicker . If Cole ,Nelson and Duggan are in the 22 we are stagnating .
STAT2021 AVG.RANK
Clearance Diff.+1.4#6
Bad stats
STAT2021 AVG.RANK
Groundball Diff.-14.4#18
D50 to I5018.7%#18

Nothing wrong with Duggan and Cole being in our 22. Strange comment imo

Nothing wrong with Duggan and Cole being in our 22. Strange comment imo
And yet we cant get it out of our 50 and we are scored heavily against . Our damning stats are our defence . If all 3 are playing at once I should have made that easier to understand .

Last edited:
A symptom of a poor organization leading to a bad year that fished up in a hole. The first game of the year speaks volumes. There was (is) something wrong.
Yeah look they did offer Brander to the Cats but just desperately tired every thing possible to keep him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kind of funny how any tall forward that has a decent tank but isn't good enough/strong enough to play as one of the two main big forwards inevitably gets compared to Tom Lynch from Adelaide.

'Maybe he can play the Tom Lynch role for them?'

But how many clubs actually have a player like that? Not many. Maybe that's because there's not a Tom Lynch role, there was just Tom Lynch and really only for a couple of years when that made sense and Adelaide were good.
Not even Tom Lynch himself was good enough to play the role

And yet we cant get it out of our 50 and we are scored heavily against . Our damning stats are our defence . If all 3 are playing at once I should have made that easier to understand .
I think its pretty clear that this is a symptom of game plan, not personnel. You could have 6 line breakers with elite kicking playing in the WC backline this year but if they follow the game plan of kicking backwards and playing keepy off until they turn it over then the results are the same. Not to mention the lack of midfield pressure enabling oppo to deliver lots of quality I50 entries.

Anyone remember Yeo at colts level? talking to KM he reckons Yeo at that age wasn't as good as Erasmus at winning his own ball. I find that hard to believe cause Yeo has always been a strong contested play and for me the way he hunts ball/man cannot be taught.

Hi Monocle.

I see how the cards fell in the Big Footy Phantom Draft you picked Goater with our first after the two top WA mids were gone.

If it pans out that way Im sure we can lure MJ away from the Saints in a year or two.

Goater sounds like a good pick. What made him stand out from others around this pick? His athletic traits and kicking certainly follow Eagles draft guidelines.

On our draft matrix I just hope we have increased the value of being competitive and putting the head over the ball and getting it. That takes courage and hardness which we sorely need.
He should tell the saints that if he is picked that he will not becoming! As he wishes to go to the Mighty Eagles 🦅 haha. That Essendon kid did that last draft.

Anyone remember Yeo at colts level? talking to KM he reckons Yeo at that age wasn't as good as Erasmus at winning his own ball. I find that hard to believe cause Yeo has always been a strong contested play and for me the way he hunts ball/man cannot be taught.

Yep, I’ve seen enough. Would love for him to last until our pick.

STAT2021 AVG.RANK
Clearance Diff.+1.4#6
Bad stats
STAT2021 AVG.RANK
Groundball Diff.-14.4#18
D50 to I5018.7%#18
That screams josh sinn

I remember the Yeo highlights at least. Looked very similar, but Erasmus cleaner and dominating more here.

Would definitely be stoked if the Seth Effrikan can last until out first pick, but I reckon that's a pipe dream.

Just has that zip that Yeo does. That fleet of foot and always able to bounce around. Will be some player IMO, definitely no issues with his small mid sample size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back