List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
It makes it a difficult draft to assess because of the risk attached with our early picks especially when they ignored our issues with contested ball

It makes it a difficult draft to assess because of the risk attached with our early picks especially when they ignored our issues with contested ball

I can see why some outside the club like what we’ve done as we’ve addressed outside speed but for those posters who have been banging on (with justification) that we don’t pick mids this draft doesn’t alleviate their concerns
I have a feeling that Keys comes from a preaching household. Nothing like a repeating of the main point to drive it home.

Wow, just wow didn't think we could sink any lower than we have after our miserable season but hey we managed it. Freo nailed it with Amiss and Erasmus and will get Johnson just to rub it in our face.

fu** are recruiters are dumb fu**s, yey and now our second pick next year will be further down the line. I hate this elitist attitude the club has thinking their way will win in the end, im happy to be proven wrong but I jist don't see that happening.
BadDeepHorse-size_restricted.gif

Flatter than you after Sydney called for a serve of Angus beef

It's almost like my thoughts on Thicc Angus being a top prospect and first round potential were vindicated.... who'd have thought :shrug:

Apologies? Brander? Anyone?

Listening to the Sydney recruiter describe him so glowingly to all the fox idiots saying Sydney reached made me cry.

"Well we don't think we reached at all, he's harder than nails and we rate him highly, nuggety unit... ball of muscle, good inside with a burst of pace" etc etc

I have a feeling that Keys comes from a preaching household. Nothing like a repeating of the main point to drive it home.
No, just fat thumbs that fail at copy and paste

Wonder if these dickheads will try and interview every single rookie selection, even the ones getting picked up again by their club like Jarrod Polec...

Leigh Montagna: "Wow Jarrod, this must be an unreal feeling for you, did you ever, in your wildest dreams think this would happen???"

Polec: "Yes"

Kevin Sheehan: "What are some of the things you think you can bring to North Melbourne Jarrod, and where do you expect to play?

Polec: "Are you guys for real?"

Leigh Montagna: Thanks Jarrod, we'll now go to Kingy to hear his analysis before seeing some highlights.... Kingy, brave selection this one what do you think?"

Chesser could end up being the second coming of Embley or the second coming of Ash Smith.
With any luck it's Embley. It's a very risky pick though considering what we left on the table, hopefully it's not a case of O'Brien trying to be too clever and ignoring the obvious in front of his face.

Reading Cheeser's pro's and cons here earlier in the thread the 1st player that came to mind was a young Scott Pendlebury!

Wonder if these w***ers will try and interview every single rookie selection, even the ones getting picked up again by their club like Jarrod Polec...

Leigh Montagna: "Wow Jarrod, this must be an unreal feeling for you, did you ever, in your wildest dreams think this would happen???"

Polec: "Yes"

Kevin Sheehan: "What are some of the things you think you can bring to North Melbourne Jarrod, and where do you expect to play?

Polec: "Are you guys for real?"

Leigh Montagna: Thanks Jarrod, we'll now go to Kingy to hear his analysis before seeing some highlights.... Kingy, brave selection this one what do you think?"

Kingy: I had him in my top 5...

????

we ignored the more contested style mids available and selected two more outside types that do admittedly address our lack of pace which was another weakness
I get the impression that he’s trying to jag a super dominant midfielder - a 188cm+ fast aggressive runner who can break lines but also play on-ball - by ruling out anyone who doesn’t have those athletic traits, regardless of how good their midfield craft is.

He is relying on the coaches to develop their inside game rather than picking players who already have one.

Presumably the idea is that even if that doesn’t pay off, they will still be competent outside runners. A bit like Duggan I guess but at least they have more toe

Last year wasn’t the rookie draft just a live blog, what format is it this year ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year wasn’t the rookie draft just a live blog, what format is it this year ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Clubs compete in an Egg and Spoon race for rights to the #1 pick, with special commentary from Dermott.

It's all streamed via the AFL app.

We gambled with our first two picks. Both Chesser and Hough were taken ahead or at the high end of their expected draft range.

As I’ve said previously in this thread that is not unusual for O’Brien and unfortunately he doesn’t have a great track record in recent seasons of those reaches paying off.

In particular he has a habit of going for players with the potential to move into the midfield ahead of actual midfielders. This is over a period where the lack of midfield depth coming through has been an ongoing problem. It has also coincided with a period where we’ve not had a lot of high end draft picks so there has been extenuating circumstances for that

This year we had our highest pick in a decade in a draft that had numerous midfield options and we ignored the more contested style mids available and selected two more outside types that do admittedly address our lack of pace which was another weakness

So I can understand the frustration people here have that we’ve seen this movie before and don’t have the faith that finally this time the gamble might pay off. Like everyone I’m hoping it does, and certainly Chesser and Hough have attributes to get excited about

I can see why some outside the club like what we’ve done as we’ve addressed outside speed but for those posters who have been banging on (with justification) that we don’t pick mids this draft doesn’t alleviate their concerns

Edit : Our remaining picks were shrewd list management by selecting a couple of KPPs that we can take time to develop (Bazzo and Williams) and a matured aged, ready to play contested beast who hedges the bet we made with our first two picks. These later picks helped balance our draft hand and probably saved this board from a complete meltdown

should call him Gamble Chesser now as his nickname

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back