List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:

Winky

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2009
Sunshine coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Max is 42. Up to 38 senior and 4 rookies.
View attachment 1287866
View attachment 1287866
View attachment 1287866
View attachment 1287866
Difficult to find the numbers. When I looked, it said they were the same as last year except changes to how you treat players on rookie lists as far as moving them in and out. The numbers they said last year were " Under new list constraints announced last week, each club must have a minimum of 37 players and no more than 44 for next year. Clubs must carry at least 36 senior listed players and if they're intending on hitting only 37 overall, then they can have as few as one rookie." Who knows?

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Can I just say, this is been some quality and sustained trolling by the recruitment team.

Some clubs might have given up after day one, but not ours. We kept trolling supporters even during the rookie draft.

That takes commitment.

It may not win as a flag, but it has supplied lots of short term bemusement in the past few days.

Winky

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2009
Sunshine coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
So when are we announcing Lawson Humphries & Richard Farmer as cat b rookies?
Can they be "B" listed
Obrien saying they want to play Chesser as a midfielder
That would be a novelty. It would be worthwhile actually counting the number of players we have recruited who "play defence but can run through the midfield as well" In fact, very few get the chance to develop through the midfield.

Mulldogg

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I think there was a WA vs WA U18/19 game (Black Vs Gold?).
Nah he was definitely referring to the championships. He was sitting about 20 metres to my right along with Trevor Woodhouse and Mick Ablett.

Just a slip of the tongue I reckon.

paran

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2007
West Coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Washington Redskins
Nah he was definitely referring to the championships. He was sitting about 20 metres to my right along with Trevor Woodhouse and Mick Ablett.

Just a slip of the tongue I reckon.
From the interview sounds like he'd never seen Hough... I believe Ainsworth was picked based on the same pathway.

Bacchus

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2008
Down South
AFL Club
West Coast
Having had some time to reflect upon and digest the events of the last two days I don’t think it is as much of a train wreck as it seemed initially. The first two picks seemed highly speculative but things turned around with the solid, good value Bazzo pick. I think both Williams and Clark were also good value picks. On balance, it was not nearly as poor a set of selections as first appeared.

The choice of the relatively unknown Chesser when Johnson (and Hobbs) were available was a strange selection. Obviously, the recruiting team preferred him to Johnson. He is probably a more explosive player than Johnson, has more pace, there may be other factors. On the face of it, Johnson looks the far safer, more certain pick. You sort of know what you will get with him, he is pretty assured of having at least a solid career. Chesser might be something special, a flop, plagued by injury or something in between. He seems to be of good character and happy to come to Perth. These are positives. More risk is attached to Chesser than Johnson, it may come off, they clearly preferred him to Johnson. Why they preferred Chesser is not really clear. Hobbs seemed very happy to be going to Essendon so maybe homesickness was a factor with him.

At first look Hough looked a reach also and there were other safer, more inside midfield picks than him. But finding out more about him, looking at some highlights, I can see why he was picked. Plenty of dash, good in the air, quick hands, high football IQ. I now see that he could be a special player on the outside and maybe eventually on the inside. The new ‘Brett Heady’. Some risk but may well be high reward.

I think Bazzo is a very solid pick, I was hoping we would get him. Good eventual replacement for McGovern. May be competing with HEdwards but there is often a key back injured and they may have eyes on Edwards as a secondary ruckman. It is good that he is a local, probably won’t get as frustrated if he has to wait awhile.

I like the pick of Williams, surprised that we were able to get him as late as we did. Still very young and may grow more which would make him more useful as a second ruckman. Almost in direct competition with Bailey Williams who is in front of him but doesn’t seem as compact a player. The plan may be to develop Bailey into a number one ruckman but he seems a long way off that. JWilliams seems to show more promise as both a forward and a second ruck.

The pick of Greg Clark is virtually no risk, solid reward. I hope he is able to take his chance like Hutchings.

Overall, a more than useful haul. About 7.5-8/10. There are still some obvious list gaps. The most glaring gap is the lack of a back-up ruckman if Naitanui is injured. Will they pick Strnadica as a rookie in the train on period or rely on BWilliams, even HEdwards. Jamieson looks a long way off to me. Sounds like there are some good WA ruck prospects coming up next year. The second big gap is backup inside and balanced midfielders. Perhaps they have their eyes on some next year. In sum, it is not all gloom and doom.

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

Wow, just wow didn't think we could sink any lower than we have after our miserable season but hey we managed it. Freo nailed it with Amiss and Erasmus and will get Johnson just to rub it in our face.

fu** are recruiters are dumb fu**s, yey and now our second pick next year will be further down the line. I hate this elitist attitude the club has thinking their way will win in the end, im happy to be proven wrong but I jist don't see that happening.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Ready to play
1637907790921.png

A couple of pre-seasons needed
1637907821102.png

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)
Simmo being aloof or keeping a BBQ invite between himself and the new draftees?

I’m seeing Justin Longmuir’s grinning mug in photos with all the Freo recruits and we send The Dish and old Serge Miller over to the Bazzo residence and that’s it?

Just quietly too, how tidy is Bazzo’s sister? 👀
Hot chicks love WC, smashed crabs to Freo!!

wooshwhisperer

Senior List
Sep 13, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Watch the WAFL grand final replay
While your watching the GF replay keep an eye out for #26 Chad Harris... saw this guy on the day and he's got good skill, good football nouse and a lot of ticker. He would make a very useful WC reserves player and potentially a shot seniors. Most of the project rookies we've picked up in recent years just haven't worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back