List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:

3agles87

Team Captain
Feb 24, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Respectfully, I disagree with most of your points in the above post. On the face of it, time will prove it one way or the other, Fremantle absolutely nailed the draft. Regarding Erasmus and the emails I don’t know enough about the details so I don’t want to comment. Very understandable that Johnson would be disappointed about not being selected on the first day, I don’t think it reflects badly on his character.

Fremantle did have a very strong draft hand. How they got GC’s pick 21 is mind boggling. No wonder Gold Coast is such a basket case. I do tentatively agree with you on Williams vs Amiss, I think their value and potential is much closer than draft position indicates. I think we may have had a big win with Williams.
Respectfully, I don’t know how anyone can read my post and think it was anything but tongue in cheek. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ But, carry on. 😂😂😂😂

Ridge Renegade

Debutant
Nov 5, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
The more I watch Houghs highlights The more I like. His long arms give me confidence he’ll fill out similar to Fyfe. But I really like that he played SWFL against men and then colts last year. There’s definitely something about playing against men especially at a pretty high level at a young age.
I think the following week after one of the state games he got some quality touches when sneaking in a quick game for HBL's league team. Jagged 3 goals for good measure too 😉 John Baggetta knew he was AFL quality from a long way out. Love that 3 (so far, Dittmar as a train on please 🙏) South West boys got a look in this draft. Hough is a natural footballer. Bit of Heady/LeCras about him.

Ishmael_

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2013
Six Thousand
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Fremantle
Some 'itk' on Freo's board reckons Geelong was odds on to pick him if we didn't. Might explain why we went when we did - regardless it's clear our recruiters rate him.

Looks slick from the vision. Great hands, good disposal and positioning, not afraid to run the ball or kick goals either. Athletic and quick as well.

Love his work without the ball too - the flight back spoils and his pressure on the ball carrier. He also looks to have a 'rangy' tackle which is something you have or you don't. Which all speaks of desire to impact the contest wherever possible.

I like the look of this kid a lot. What he becomes will be somewhat dependent on how his body develops, but I can see him impacting all over the ground. Dream scenario would be someone like Bont that can run through the middle and drift forward to kick goals.

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
Some 'itk' on Freo's board reckons Geelong was odds on to pick him if we didn't. Might explain why we went when we did - regardless it's clear our recruiters rate him.

Looks slick from the vision. Great hands, good disposal and positioning, not afraid to run the ball or kick goals either. Athletic and quick as well.

Love his work without the ball too - the flight back spoils and his pressure on the ball carrier. He also looks to have a 'rangy' tackle which is something you have or you don't. Which all speaks of desire to impact the contest wherever possible.

I like the look of this kid a lot. What he becomes will be somewhat dependent on how his body develops, but I can see him impacting all over the ground. Dream scenario would be someone like Bont that can run through the middle and drift forward to kick goals.

Yep, for me, he is the pick of our picks, if you know what I mean. He could be anything.

Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm sure there are better ways to describe a 200 game premiership player.

You could point out he's not a junkie or alcoholic that wrecked havoc on the club. Could point out that he set the standard on the track and for a team that, since his retirement, has potentially not been the most professional on that front, a player of his drive would be appreciated.

Could point out that he played the role he was given by the club and played it well enough that the team had the ultimate success. This is probably an important aspect given recent mumblings about the discontent within the playing group.

Could point to his willingness to work despite physical limitations and change his game from juniors to have a ten+ year career at the elite level.

Could also just not be so disrespectful and wrong? I don't think his heart was ever questioned.
I thought Masten was unfairly treated as a whipping boy throughout his career. Did have some quite good years. His kicking was always bemoaned, and while he did have his share of clangers, he also had more kicks that went quickly and directly to a leading forward than most of our midfielders did.

Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Masten could find the ball he naturally accumulated possessions .

I'm not concerned about chesser physically or even if he will become an inside mid .

My concern is we have drafted another athlete who can't find the ball . Averaging 16 possessions isn't very good for a midfielder
Re the 16 possessions, I think it was 18, and given he got injured and played only 3 game then it's possible he got a very low number in 1 game and this dragged the average down.

Jan 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers, South Fremantle
Article in The Age from Matt Rendell before the draft said he had Chesser in the top 5 two years ago, although he also said that a bunch of this year's top prospects didn't play in the U/16 championships. Nevertheless, even though he has only played a handful of games in the past two years, Rendell believed that Chesser would be an "absolute bargain" for any club taking him between pick 10-20.

Rendell's recruiting notes on Chesser....
A big-bodied midfielder who is highly skilled and super competitive. Has genuine speed out of the contest, but I would like to see him run and carry more often. Very good aerially, which makes him a hybrid forward-midfielder as well. Extremely influential on games and has a strong work ethic.

Interestingly Rendell rates him as a midfielder, with no mention of HBF.

Anyway, I am glad we have the kid and am looking forward to seeing what he can deliver for us.

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Article in The Age from Matt Rendell before the draft said he had Chesser in the top 5 two years ago, although he also said that a bunch of this year's top prospects didn't play in the U/16 championships. Nevertheless, even though he has only played a handful of games in the past two years, Rendell believed that Chesser would be an "absolute bargain" for any club taking him between pick 10-20.

A big-bodied midfielder who is highly skilled and super competitive. Has genuine speed out of the contest, but I would like to see him run and carry more often. Very good aerially, which makes him a hybrid forward-midfielder as well. Extremely influential on games and has a strong work ethic.

Anyway, I am glad we have the kid and am looking forward to seeing what he can deliver for us.

smart pick by a smart club

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
That's not the point I'm making did you even read the post ? If he can't find enough of the ball whats the point in having all these supposed weapons .

Venables was very damaging. When ever he got the ball something good happened.

Venables never got enough to be considered a midfielder.

I hope chesser is different but the stats aren't supporting that at this time
I make comment, what's your problem. You fail to make a point then cry

Winky

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2009
Sunshine coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
That's not the point I'm making did you even read the post ? If he can't find enough of the ball whats the point in having all these supposed weapons .

Venables was very damaging. When ever he got the ball something good happened.

Venables never got enough to be considered a midfielder.

I hope chesser is different but the stats aren't supporting that at this time
A bit harsh on Venables I think. He was good enough to get in a winning GF team albeit mainly as a forward. He was still young and had to oust the likes of Shuey, Redden, Yeo, Sheed, Masten, Hutchings as well as Cripps, Rioli and Ryan rolling through the midfield before he could play there, I have no doubt that but for his injury at a very young age, he would have been a successful mid. Certainly the club thought the same. Chesson, I think, is a different player but I reckon the chances are, he will succeed. You can't use average possessions as the sole criterion as we don't even know how long he spend in the midfield and his seasons were interrupted by injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mulldogg

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC

Matt Rendell also thinks Shannon Hurn is still our captain and that Darcy Moore could win a Brownlow in the ruck…

Would take any opinion of his with a grain of salt.

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
A bit harsh on Venables I think. He was good enough to get in a winning GF team albeit mainly as a forward. He was still young and had to oust the likes of Shuey, Redden, Yeo, Sheed, Masten, Hutchings as well as Cripps, Rioli and Ryan rolling through the midfield before he could play there, I have no doubt that but for his injury at a very young age, he would have been a successful mid. Certainly the club thought the same. Chesson, I think, is a different player but I reckon the chances are, he will succeed. You can't use average possessions as the sole criterion as we don't even know how long he spend in the midfield and his seasons were interrupted by injury.

I doubt it on Venables. Didn't accumulate more than 20 possessions in a single game after turning 16. Great athlete, great team man and had class, but wouldn't have made it as a midfielder. Genuinely hard, wish him all the best with the rest of his life and he retires with a premiership medal and had huge assistance and every chance given to him by the club.

The_Gambler

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2009
Omaha, in middle America
AFL Club
West Coast
I doubt it on Venables. Didn't accumulate more than 20 possessions in a single game after turning 16. Great athlete, great team man and had class, but wouldn't have made it as a midfielder. Genuinely hard, wish him all the best with the rest of his life and he retires with a premiership medal and had huge assistance and every chance given to him by the club.

you don’t need 20 possessions playing half forward. 3 goals from 12 quality touches and defensive output is far more critical. We’ve lacked an attacking mid sized forward with strong hands since Le cars left (and venebles). It means we lack a dimension in attack. Ryan probably does this. Height and leap is a hard matchup particularly with the tall defenders taken. Hopefully hough can do this

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
you don’t need 20 possessions playing half forward. 3 goals from 12 quality touches and defensive output is far more critical. We’ve lacked an attacking mid sized forward with strong hands since Le cars left (and venebles). It means we lack a dimension in attack. Ryan probably does this. Height and leap is a hard matchup particularly with the tall defenders taken. Hopefully hough can do this

I'm suggesting as I always have that if someone can't even have one game at juniors, wafl and afl in 5 years, particularly when as a junior time was spent more around the ball then he was never going to make it as a mid. His weaknesses were accumulation and footy iq. Great athlete with great skills but just wasn't a footballer. He could well have been but like Chesser he missed most of his last 2 junior years.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Except the discussion was around Venables making it as a contested midfielder....

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
With you that Veners a very talented footballer and that he possessed many attributes you want from a midfielder. I personally believe that is somewhere between a dream and fiction that he was on a path to be a successful full time mid. He was like that in both his bottom age seasons at the Jets and at WAFL.

He was a really skilful and successful high half forward that could take a couple of centre clearances. He placed great pressure keeping the ball inside 50 (still missing him there),possessed great pace and he did not need a lot of possessions to make his mark.

But the problem was did not get a lot of possessions. Why? He was most effective in open play and not congestion.

I am hoping both Chesser and Hough can gain in confidence and increase their impact. If it is through having polish, great. That will make them great positional players. If it is through upping their possessions, then we might have found a or some midfielders.

Get_The_Gaff

Premiership Player
Apr 4, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast
Sure that's fine when we aren't screaming for high production midfielders.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Respectfully, I don’t know how anyone can read my post and think it was anything but tongue in cheek. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ But, carry on. 😂😂😂😂

Just because someone posts with a bit of smart arse commentary doesn't mean they aren't serious in their view.

Claiming tongue in cheek I've noticed is used by a fair few smarty pants who are pretty serious and get pegged back for complaigning for the sake of complaigning being negative Nancy's

The_Gambler

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2009
Omaha, in middle America
AFL Club
West Coast
Sure that's fine when we aren't screaming for high production midfielders.

I don’t reckon venables was ever going to make it as a mid, and he was going to be a damaging forward. That’s howhis draft year looked too

Chesser could easily play wing and has done, but yes he’s untried as an on baller so-you’d be optomistic to think he could transition. But if he ends up an elite and attacking outside play (wing, half back or half forward that’s ok).Getting SPS and Clark allow for this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back