List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:

Ryan Daniels

@FootyRhino

·
8m

Once Matt Johnson slid in the draft, multiple clubs approached
@freodockers
. I'm told one offer included pick 23 & a future 1st from Hawthorn. Belief from key Freo parties was so strong in Johnson, they turned it down. Hawks loved Johnson, considered him at pick 8.

Far out! I would have taken Hawks future first for sure! Could have been a top 5 pick too.
Did MJ do some sort of mini combine overnight?

If not, why weren't these teams chasing Brisbane or Richmond's picks? A couple of players they got would have lasted until 23, and probably cheaper than a future 1st.

That seems amateur hour from the Hawks, surely you have your order and even preliminary conversations with other clubs about their picks.

We clearly did, as did Port (they even told us they were chasing Sinn would be my guess).

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

There are loads of posts and views as to what sort of player makes up a midfielder. The current 3 categories that I am aware are called Inside, Outside and Balanced. I note that outside is not the same as wing. Example - Tim Kelly shows a load of outside midfield capability at stoppages. We also saw an inside bull in Angus Brayshaw playing the wing role in the GF.

Is it me showing my age or can we go back to the original roles of rover (outside), ruck rover (inside or bull as they used to be tall enough to take the taps) and centre (usually the most balanced ball hog in your team)!

Ruck Rovers - Yeo, Redden and Clark
Rovers - Kelly, Sheed (without the pace), SPS, LEdwards
Centre - Shuey, Sheed, XON (without the production)

Note that Sheed is in 2 categories - if Bond could teach him to tackle, I would gladly have him in the lower category as his lack of pace at stoppages is a concern.

I do not want to bring Gaff into it as his best football is as a wingman. The sooner we can relieve him from stoppages and return him to the wing the better we will be as a team.

I am having trouble placing West at an AFL level as he never gets to play as a midfielder per the above. I guess he is a ruck rover without the height or a rover without the pace or a centreman without the high possessions.

I would love to get SPS's confidence up and see how we can get his production up to play the centre role. I am assuming from a Carlton mate that we will be addressing his endurance as this has held him back.

Looking at Chesser and Hough. Neither will be the ruck rover (Hough has the height but maybe too soon to call), both have the skills and pace to be a rover and if they get their production up, they could develop into the centre role.

I would dearly like to see both Chesser and Hough come out of my "Utility" column and into my midfield

Why the sad face? Means we're hardly ever sh*t or have good players walk out like the sh*tstain down Freo way.

Think a lot of people lose this perspective when it comes to our draft picks.

There is a reason why Freo have managed to use many top picks over their journey.

Its highly unlikely to happen, but I would love to see us abandon defensive zone in favor of man on man defending

Forwards work smarter and together these days. Defender will always respond second and without some sort of zone, players will work defenders apart.

Set 2 forwards close to each other, clear out everyone and just kick it to space. One on one can’t stop that.

Ryan Daniels

@FootyRhino

·
8m

@freodockers
. I'm told one offer included pick 23 & a future 1st from Hawthorn. Belief from key Freo parties was so strong in Johnson, they turned it down. Hawks loved Johnson, considered him at pick 8.

Far out! I would have taken Hawks future first for sure! Could have been a top 5 pick too.
Strange if true, but the weird part was literally the pick before.

Lions took Lohman, who seemed a significant reach at the time. Don't get me wrong I think he'd looked really good in games I saw of him and I'm glad a club took him here as it supports the thoughts of what I saw in him. But the Hawks should've approached Brisbane with that offer, as Lohman would've still be there at 23 and they would've banked a future 1st. I was actually hoping we tried to trade with the lions on the night, as I knew Freo would be impossible to deal with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weren't we ranked at the top for broken tackles as well? Also, last for ground ball gets and pressure acts?

Fox commentary team put up the graphics a few times at the towards the end of the season when we were particularly awful.
A few gaff broken tackles where he looks like a helicopter.

Needs one of those shooting star memes

Is Brad Smith even still at the club?

Normally this time of year his face pops up on the background in a video or photo of the draft team but haven’t seen him this year. Certainly didn’t seem to be in the room on draft night

Happened to hear Brad Smith on a “WAFL blast from the past” interview on SportFM this morning, it was from 2020 and he mentioned how he wasn’t at the club anymore. Also mentioned he was thinking about leaving footy permanently. Though situation could have changed again.

Strange if true, but the weird part was literally the pick before.

Lions took Lohman, who seemed a significant reach at the time. Don't get me wrong I think he'd looked really good in games I saw of him and I'm glad a club took him here as it supports the thoughts of what I saw in him. But the Hawks should've approached Brisbane with that offer, as Lohman would've still be there at 23 and they would've banked a future 1st. I was actually hoping we tried to trade with the lions on the night, as I knew Freo would be impossible to deal with.
Could he the whole 5 minutes / lack of time thing.

Giving up a future first would need a lot of ticks to sign off so they could have needed overnight to reassess and thrash it out

Ryan Daniels
@FootyRhino

·
8m

@freodockers

Crazy that Hawks would offer that to secure a player who basically told non WA suitors it was Eagles/Freo or bust.

Also crazy of freo not to accept the deal. Future top 6 pick for a two pick downgrade. They're at the end of the rebuild tunnel, maybe they don't need the pick?

Crazy that Hawks would offer that to secure a player who basically told non WA suitors it was Eagles/Freo or bust.

Also crazy of freo not to accept the deal. Future top 6 pick for a two pick downgrade. They're at the end of the rebuild tunnel, maybe they don't need the pick?

Love Rhinos work but I reckon something's missing from that deal (ie something back from Freo), just doesn't add up. Hawks 1st next year is a very probable top 10 and very possible top 5.

A guy that every club passed on at least once, and Freo and the Hawks themselves passed on 3 times between them, is better than anything coming in the top 5/10 of next year's draft (plus Butler who ended up going at 23)?

Next year's draft must be looking dire if so

Last edited:
I see this a lot and I'm wondering if you could point to an AFL club that doesn't utilise a zone defence in 2021?

I think it's the general tactically perception: I realise there is very much a method to it, but its annoying because we all know full well that its a lot harder to for an opposition disposal to hit a target when one of our players is standing right next to them, as opposed to guarding space 20-30m away.

If we lose one out in the contested situation and get beaten, I think we all have an easier time accepting that we "went hard" because at least we manned up

It's just optics. And from a personal perspective, I have always much enjoyed seeing the one on one contested that result from manning up

That said, everything in football goes in cycles and I can easily see zoning falling out of vogue

You got me and my retro brain...
Bugger... You got me and my retro brain... try this...

Watching these highlights makes you realize how good he was - I took him for granted in the 90s but his play still looks amazing and elite 20 years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back