List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
Could he the whole 5 minutes / lack of time thing.

Giving up a future first would need a lot of ticks to sign off so they could have needed overnight to reassess and thrash it out

If that's true then I hope (and believe) our club is run much more professionally.

The recruiters had 11 months (give or take) to prepare for this draft. After all games, testing, interviews etc are done I would have thought that 3 or 4 pretty simple lists would be made up - and conversations had with most-if-not-all clubs around strategy, pick value etc (obviously everyone isn't going to be 100% open, but pre-draft you could surely get an indication on a clubs willingness to trade or not trade and a ballpark value for their picks).

List of players in order 1-100
list of those same players with an assigned points value - lets say JHF is worth 4500 points (pick 1 +++)
List of position where a player is almost too good to pass up, and any picks in that range that you may be able to trade for (and, if known, the approximate cost of those picks)

There is every possibility that the report is wrong, and also that clubs in the late 1st round were not willing to trade down - but if it was due to administration at their own club and needing overnight to get their sh!t sorted that is disgraceful.

Love Rhinos work but I reckon something's missing from that deal (ie something back from Freo), just doesn't add up. Hawks 1st next year is a very probable top 10 and very possible top 5.

A guy that every club passed on at least once, and Freo and the Hawks themselves passed on 3 times between them, is better than anything coming in the top 5/10 of next year's draft (plus Butler who ended up going at 23)?

Next year's draft must be looking dire if so
Next year at least in the first round looks fine

I feel a bit sorry for our younger supporters who never got to see Peter Matera live.

Then again I never got to see WAFL legends like Stephen Michael etc. live. My son never got to see Chris Judd. Praise Jebus for YouTube etc.

Peter Matera my favourite of all time, I tried to emulate my game on him. Loved the way he tackled, literally hunted them down wrapped his arms around and then dropped his legs (almost like a cheetah hunting its prey). His speed away from the stoppage was ridiculous, his kicking was elite and he could seriously play.

So Hawthorn’s future first and 23 for pick 21 with no mention of what’s coming back. If there was nothing coming back that’s a totally stupid trade proposal from Hawthorn and even dumber for Fremantle to knock it back. You’re talking a potential top 5 pick to move up two places in the draft to get a player both clubs had already overlooked (twice in Freo’s case)

If Freo rated him that highly why did they not try to move up in the draft to get him rather than wait till the 2nd round. Could have got a high pick in the teens with their future 1st to do it but we’re led to believe they refused Hawthorns first

Fair bit of mayo on this for a player Freo selected two others before him
Absolutely. No way Hawks would propose this. Either Rhino's mail is way off, or there was something coming back to the Hawks. He does say "included".

I feel a bit sorry for our younger supporters who never got to see Peter Matera live.

Then again I never got to see WAFL legends like Stephen Michael etc. live. My son never got to see Chris Judd. Praise Jebus for YouTube etc.
Never saw him live but watched him on TV a heap. Impossible not to love him as a fan

Very different game then though. Mainy's the perfect example - very much a perennial AA or around the mark, but would his game translate to modern footy? Smashing through guys with average disposal...

I can't believe there are some young fans out there, who didn't actually get to watch Jamie Mcnamara play live.

Particularly when he ran back towards his own goals, fended off a teammate and then delivered it inside 50 for a Geelong goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't believe there are some young fans out there, who didn't actually get to watch Jamie Mcnamara play live.

Particularly when he ran back towards his own goals, fended off a teammate and then delivered it inside 50 for a Geelong goal.

I was there and saw it live with me own two eyes. Remember that day like it was yesterday. Caught a ride with the Geelong Perth supporters group in. They were giving it to me on the way there. Still really cut up over 92 and 94

You should be feeling sorry for all of us old ones who got to see them all live...

I was there and saw it live with me own two eyes. Remember that day like it was yesterday. Caught a ride with the Geelong Perth supporters group in. They were giving it to me on the way there. Still really cut up over 92 and 94

What made this even more bizarre is there was 5 minutes to go in the quarter, it wasn't even the start of the quarter so he couldn't say he got confused by the change over at the break.

As for the game itself I was also there and had low expectations as it was the year after Bomber Thompson's sandwich game where we got pummelled. We actually stayed within touch of Geelong all game which was encouraging considering where both teams were at.

What made this even more bizarre is there was 5 minutes to go in the quarter, it wasn't even the start of the quarter so he couldn't say he got confused by the change over at the break.

As for the game itself I was also there and had low expectations as it was the year after Bomber Thompson's sandwich game where we got pummelled. We actually stayed within touch of Geelong all game which was encouraging considering where both teams were at.

Lol - he realises it just before he kicks. Glass was in space, so he could have kicked it to him. Instead he just kicks it away in disgust.

Simmo would have loved him with those negative metres gained.

Well Andrew Embley from memory also kicked the wrong way in his first fame so perhaps jmac thought he would be our next norm smith medalist.

Lol - he realises it just before he kicks. Glass was in space, so he could have kicked it to him. Instead he just kicks it away in disgust.

Simmo would have loved him with those negative metres gained.

That Selwood kick that rolled out of bounds for the boundary throw in would 100% be pinged for deliberate now

Well son/daughter, let me tell you about the legend that was Tom Swift. His neck was long and graceful....

He left to become a doctor yet somehow ended up:
1638245955519.png

Very different game then though. Mainy's the perfect example - very much a perennial AA or around the mark, but would his game translate to modern footy? Smashing through guys with average disposal...

I reckon Matera's game would 100% translate to modern footy.

Our depth is the most balanced that I can remember. Doing a second team I didn’t have to shoehorn lots of players into positions.

BEagles

FB: Rotham H. Edwards Witherden
HB: Chesser Bazzo Foley
C: Hough Trew L. Edwards
HF: Petch Waterman Winder
FF: Jones Williams Langdon

R: Jamieson Clark O’Neill

I: West

Eagles

FB: Hurn Barrass Cole
HB: Nelson Gov Duggan
C: Redden Kelly Gaff