List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2022 superstar edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players -

So what will 2 picks mean for the list come year end and Cap?

We have 37 on the main list and 7 rookies. That is 44 and with now 4 on the LTI list, it comes down to an available of 40 players allowing the 2 picks. It does mean that we will have a total of 46 on our list and the max excluding inactive is 42.

Come season end, we will need to clear at least 7 to take the 3 compulsory picks. I suspect it will be more like delisting/retiring.

Of the LTI, none are out of contract.

We may have up to 9 rookies in Jones, Trew, West, Dixon, Strnadica, Naish, Joyce and 2 from the MSD. Of these, I see West, Jones and Naish offered contracts with the possibility of the 2 from next week asking for 18 month terms. So goodbye on the cards for Trew, Dixon, Strnadica, and Joyce - at least 4 rookies to go. Hopefully we choose 19/20 year old players with good upside in the MSD so we stay patient for 18 months.

I looks like the obvious JK and Hurn retiring and I would not be surprised to see Shuey and Redden join them. Shuey when available is good but he cannot stay on the park and cannot justify a list spot. Redden is good depth and has been consistent and may get another year but I think it is on small $$.

The heat will be on Nelson and B Williams to keep their spots. Neither would have much in trade value and will be vulnerable. Winder looked good against GWS and more of that sees him retain his spot. I think Jamieson has gone past B Williams so likely stays. One of Bailey or Strnadica may also stay given NicNat and C Edwards feels thin in ruck stocks. H Edwards will get an extension before the end of the year.

Main list it is up to 4 retiring and another 1 or 2 traded/delisted.

In terms of current salary cap squeeze - I believe there would be scope to go to the AFL and seek exemption for the top ups and to ask a player like Sheed or Jack to move a $100k back a year as the Salary Cap is expected to go up substantially and easy to balance back up.

Hopefully we have no long term contracts that are tied to cap % increases.

The likes of Waterman, Langdon, O'Neill and Petruccelle will be nervous going into 2023 as they look like the next group under threat. I hope we don't tell Cripps it will be his call in 223 as to go on - he looks like he is one of Simmo's favourites.

As a reminder on the big $ signings, Guv in under contract through to the end of 2023, Gaff to 2024 and Kelly/Darling to 2025.

So come 2024, we should have a good looking salary cap. We must refrain from signing up the average or fringe players beyond a 1 year deal and should not be paying overs. It will be interesting to see what draft class of Hough, Bazzo, JWilliams and Clark get by way of extensions. I would be fine in modest $$ and adding 2 years to all 4 (Chesser already extended).

We should also expect a likely lowish finish in 2023 meaning we get this and next year to build quality through the draft and wait until 2024 trading/2023 FA to bring in others. I am also OK going aggressive and use the end of season draft if we finish with pick 1 if it was a way to get one of English, Hill, or Robertson for free while Angus Brayshaw (RFA) is of interest.
Why do you believe the salary cap is going to go up soon?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Say shuey retires and we somehow trade gaff. 5 year contracts for warner and mcdonald. This years and next years first rounder to the swans plus ports second for those 2 players and Sydneys first this year.

They would be two very early firsts and a pick say 28 for Mcdonald, Warner and say pick 14. Works out points wise to be picks 2 and 4 for Mcdonald and Warner. I know it's an absolute pipe dream and we'd have to offer 5 year contracts on significant money but it would bring in a quality 21 year old midfielder and a very high quality 20 year old key forward. Add say Gilbee and Broadbent and our spine is set and going into next year we're essentially adding 5 nigh on first round picks to the list imo. 2 mids, 1 ruck, 1 athletic flanker with a great kick and 1 top tier key forward. Counting Chesser here too.

We'd essentially likely be adding Mcdonald, Warner, Chesser straight to our best 22 and the return of Rioli, Cole, Nicnat, Sheed, Yeo and Allen all missing from our current setup. Would also give another preseason to Foley and Hough who I rate both of. With a change in gameplan and a decent injury list it would hopefully be enough to bounce us from 18th to say 12th or higher.

If Gaff goes elsewhere even for pick 80 as a salary dump and shuey retires it would free up roughly 1.4 mill in cap space (kennedy and hurn aren't getting paid huge amounts this year)

It's a huge long shot and never going to happen but it would be a fair and equitable trade if we were able to get in the players ears and get them to nominate us. You also know what you are getting in the two players as well rather than it being a bit of a lottery.

For all those that are hell bent on sacking Simpson because he didn’t provide us a dynasty need to calm the farm. 2018 was a magical year and I would give up a 5 year rebuild for that any day of the week. We have been blessed that 3 years is the longest we have had to wait in between finals.

I get the argument of let’s not rest on our previous success and fall down the blues, bombers post 2000 path but let’s all take a deep breath. 2019 injuries at the wrong time cost us. 2020 and 2021 the club has kinda admitted that we struggled to keep standards/focus during the hubs.

So I get the frustration of that but Who is doing a drastically better job then him this year?

Name a coach and I’d argue they won’t be able to. Hardwick 3 Time premiership couldn’t fix Naish yet we have had to play him every game.

Dixon as a forward or ruck (he is a Poor Fraser mcInnies, Fraser as bloke would make AA but as a player at AFL level he didn’t have enough strengths, similar to Dixon the old maybe next year talk). A better coach maybe gets us a win or 2 which gets us worser picks in the draft.

I get the frustration over our recruiting however our List management team has changed a lot since Rawlings (I want change but I Do think our LM group isn’t as bad as half the other clubs considering where we have picked. Which means we tend to focus on the non smashing out of the park pick (brander a stinker because we got rid of him, the jury would be out otherwise) rather then your Oscar Allen, Harry Edwards (rookie pick. Luke Edwards looked great before OP Type of picks.

I think we are frustrated about how bad we our this year but as said before which coach could do drastically better?

Just part the pain and enjoy that we are finally gonna be relevant come draft time.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Say shuey retires and we somehow trade gaff. 5 year contracts for warner and mcdonald. This years and next years first rounder to the swans plus ports second for those 2 players and Sydneys first this year.

They would be two very early firsts and a pick say 28 for Mcdonald, Warner and say pick 14. Works out points wise to be picks 2 and 4 for Mcdonald and Warner. I know it's an absolute pipe dream and we'd have to offer 5 year contracts on significant money but it would bring in a quality 21 year old midfielder and a very high quality 20 year old key forward. Add say Gilbee and Broadbent and our spine is set and going into next year we're essentially adding 5 nigh on first round picks to the list imo. 2 mids, 1 ruck, 1 athletic flanker with a great kick and 1 top tier key forward. Counting Chesser here too.

We'd essentially likely be adding Mcdonald, Warner, Chesser straight to our best 22 and the return of Rioli, Cole, Nicnat, Sheed, Yeo and Allen all missing from our current setup. Would also give another preseason to Foley and Hough who I rate both of. With a change in gameplan and a decent injury list it would hopefully be enough to bounce us from 18th to say 12th or higher.

If Gaff goes elsewhere even for pick 80 as a salary dump and shuey retires it would free up roughly 1.4 mill in cap space (kennedy and hurn aren't getting paid huge amounts this year)

It's a huge long shot and never going to happen but it would be a fair and equitable trade if we were able to get in the players ears and get them to nominate us. You also know what you are getting in the two players as well rather than it being a bit of a lottery.
Quick fixes won't work. Warner is not an A+ grader. We need an A+ grader (or 2).

For all those that are hell bent on sacking Simpson because he didn’t provide us a dynasty need to calm the farm. 2018 was a magical year and I would give up a 5 year rebuild for that any day of the week. We have been blessed that 3 years is the longest we have had to wait in between finals.

I get the argument of let’s not rest on our previous success and fall down the blues, bombers post 2000 path but let’s all take a deep breath. 2019 injuries at the wrong time cost us. 2020 and 2021 the club has kinda admitted that we struggled to keep standards/focus during the hubs.

So I get the frustration of that but Who is doing a drastically better job then him this year?

Name a coach and I’d argue they won’t be able to. Hardwick 3 Time premiership couldn’t fix Naish yet we have had to play him every game.

Dixon as a forward or ruck (he is a Poor Fraser mcInnies, Fraser as bloke would make AA but as a player at AFL level he didn’t have enough strengths, similar to Dixon the old maybe next year talk). A better coach maybe gets us a win or 2 which gets us worser picks in the draft.

I get the frustration over our recruiting however our List management team has changed a lot since Rawlings (I want change but I Do think our LM group isn’t as bad as half the other clubs considering where we have picked. Which means we tend to focus on the non smashing out of the park pick (brander a stinker because we got rid of him, the jury would be out otherwise) rather then your Oscar Allen, Harry Edwards (rookie pick. Luke Edwards looked great before OP Type of picks.

I think we are frustrated about how bad we our this year but as said before which coach could do drastically better?

Just part the pain and enjoy that we are finally gonna be relevant come draft time.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Let me clarify the general jist of what everyone is saying:

Some people: Simmo is now a s**t coach, get rid of him
Other people: Simmo failed to change in a flag window and should have been sacked in 2020
Some other people: Sack him now and start the rebuild
Some other people: I don't think he's the guy to rebuild but happy for him not to be sacked yet because we want the draft picks.

Nearly everyone thinks a variation of the above sentiments. Avery small percentage of people think he shouldn't be sacked.

Here's what the Simmo fan bois can't get their heads around:

Inability to lay a tackle since 2018, skin folds, lack of heart

He will be sacked. His position is untenable. It will be either this year (i have that a 75% chance) or next. He will not see a new contract.

Naish. Lol. He's s**t.

You're whole post sound like you're a head in the sand fanboi.

Let me clarify the general jist of what everyone is saying:

Some people: Simmo is now a s**t coach, get rid of him
Other people: Simmo failed to change in a flag window and should have been sacked in 2020
Some other people: Sack him now and start the rebuild
Some other people: I don't think he's the guy to rebuild but happy for him not to be sacked yet because we want the draft picks.

Nearly everyone thinks a variation of the above sentiments. Avery small percentage of people think he shouldn't be sacked.

Here's what the Simmo fan bois can't get their heads around:

Inability to lay a tackle since 2018, skin folds, lack of heart

He will be sacked. His position is untenable. It will be either this year (i have that a 75% chance) or next. He will not see a new contract.

Naish. Lol. He's s**t.

You're whole post sound like you're a head in the sand fanboi.
If he could just set standards, no land of the giants and no credits in the bank, he would be afforded a hell of a lot more leeway by most.

Do that and tackling and game plan evolution will eventually follow.

It's not hard.

Yep that was then. Now it’s 2022 and he’ll miss the whole year.

Yep he’s had one impact injury this year that’s been a long-termer.

That doesn’t mean he’s an injury prone player that makes it risky to give him a three year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back