List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2022 superstar edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players -

Whats everyones top 10 list of west aussies up for the draft this year?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I that,makes sense but weve also got picks later in the draft(not suggesting we only go for west aussies)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I think someone else posted earlier that he was homesick.

What would the Hawks expect as a trade?

Well he's a former pick 46 who plays forward, is at the end of his first contract and hasn't played a game this year. He also averages 1/3 of his disposals as clangers.

Only worth a pick we wouldn't use or the hawks wouldn't use tbh. It would just be about facilitating a trade if WCE were interested.

Regarding Fyfe, the first thing he did when he got into the AFL system was to stack on muscle. And I think from memory, the amount of weight he had put on from the draft combine to right now is almost 20kgs

The Fremantle strength and conditioning team didn't try and take a gangly, mobile forward and try to make him a better runner (ala one Jarrod Brander, they turned him into a midfielder bulldozer

Our strength and conditioning team would do well to take note. You don't have to be built like a marathon runner to run out games of football, the modern elite midfielders like Dusty, Wines, Dangefield, Cripps, Petracca etc are all explosive and more muscular and can run out games just fine

My understanding was that Fyfe was very driven to add bulk of his own accord so I’m not sure how much credit Freo’s S&C department get for him

I’m no Fyfe fan but you have to respect his work ethic and inner drive

As it stands now Broadbent is the better player.
Barnett has the higher ceiling.

Broadbent is still basically the same guy who I saw playing for Collie at 15. The only thing being is I was hugely impressed with his game against the collingwood VFL side. If he can produce a couple more games like that then he is far and away the easiest pickup for a good but not great ruckman i've seen in years.

Barnett is more athletic, from what i have seen is taller and still gets around the ground defensively for marks and getting involved in the play. Also looks much more athletically gifted. He doesn't have Broadbents kicking skills however. Mind you almost no Ruck does. Broadbent probably has the best foot skills for a ruck i've seen since Cox retired.

I'd be happy with either at the second of our two second round picks.

As i've stated before I like Knobel as a rookie pick. He's 5 preseasons away from AFL level and probably 7 away from leading a teams ruck department. He gets to the right places and I quite like his hands as well he's just so skinny he gets pushed off the ball way too easy.

If i was drafting for west coast the delisting Strnadica and unfortunately Jamieson. I do think Jamieson can make it particularly as a second ruck but to me it's just a hard cut that has to be made. We have too many players jamming up space and he's uncontracted. I would however sign him to the Beagles and keep a very solid eye on him there. To me this is going to sound unfortunate for the player but Jamieson just looks like a younger, less developed Strnadica who is better when the ball first hits the ground but is Shorter, as athletic at best and doesn't get around the ground as much. It's a real shame as he has great hands in a ruck contest as well. The thing is Jamieson is uncontracted and Williams is. Secondly Williams can play a primary chopout or backup role now and Jamieson can't.

I'd be keeping Cox for one more year to see if he can stopgap second ruck to Nicnat until Jack Williams is ready. The truth is Jack Williams is probably our second ruck of the future, we just need to draft or trade in a Primary Ruckman.

Bailey Williams is out of contract as well and right now if I was forced to make a choice between him and Jamieson (which seems highly probable come years end) I’m picking Jamieson.

Williams may have some value as a 3rd round pick in a trade or perhaps a small upgrade of our own 3rd round pick

Well he's a former pick 46 who plays forward, is at the end of his first contract and hasn't played a game this year. He also averages 1/3 of his disposals as clangers.

Only worth a pick we wouldn't use or the hawks wouldn't use tbh. It would just be about facilitating a trade if WCE were interested.
Sounds like a good fit for Freo.

Williams projects to be more of a ruck/forward than Jamieson (Lobb type without the massive contract) so I'd be keeping him with that role in mind (develop both his forward and ruck craft, they both need work).

Jamieson feels more of a #1, halve the hitouts, compete around the ground follower ruck as his best position. We need a #1 ruck to replace NN so need to make a judgement call - if we find a Meek type and think that's a better option then delist Jamo. Or we don't and commit to backing him in to handle the ruck himself in 2024 (2023 you'd hope Nic would play more and we're unlikely to be competing anyway so ok with being shallow in rucks if it comes to that).

I'd lean towards the second option, reckon a lot of his deficiencies could be ironed with 2 more preseasons in the gym and have been surprised by his competitiveness.

Either way a Broadbent won't be ready till a few years after being drafted at the earliest, at which point you'd love if he'd force out one of the above two. Don't really see Strnadica making it at AFL level and priority next year has to be time into Williams/Jamo working around NN so think he'd be the one to get replaced by a Broadbent draftee and leave it at that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 in 100 would imply one guy a year becomes the level of one of the best players in the competition after having not shown anything even close to it. It's like saying Brander gets to GWS and all of a sudden packs on 15 kilos and starts winning brownlow medals:tearsofjoy:.
Everyone has their own story where the hell was Tom Stewart for 5 years!, but Fyfe was the most radical of changes, Yeo similarly followed suit but is definitely not at that level. It's why we draft so many god damn flankers with potential.
The closest thing to Fyfe's development has probably been Dangerfield who was drafted as a skinny 17 yr old but he was already a good midfielder, great in a contest and had that trademark burst.

I think 1-per-season is relatively fair. Obviously this depends on the rating of 'showing nothing' - I'm just basing it on their draft position and extrapolating that to where recruiters think they will end up - guys who get to the top say 50 in the comp but were drafted late have improved well above and beyond expectations.

There are quite a few. No way a recruiter could have a 100% (or even 10%) hit rate - but most years there is a Fyfe/Yeo/Stewart/McGovern/Neale/etc who later on everyone says 'how did club X miss that player'

My understanding was that Fyfe was very driven to add bulk of his own accord so I’m not sure how much credit Freo’s S&C department get for him

I’m no Fyfe fan but you have to respect his work ethic and inner drive

Bailey Williams is out of contract as well and right now if I was forced to make a choice between him and Jamieson (which seems highly probable come years end) I’m picking Jamieson.

Williams may have some value as a 3rd round pick in a trade or perhaps a small upgrade of our own 3rd round pick

Just the way i see it is Jamieson has a way higher ceiling as a player but williams will have potential trade currency. He's has been on my trade list before. If thats the case i'd still get rid of both and Keep Strnadica. We need someone who can be backup to Nic for injuries.

Williams projects to be more of a ruck/forward than Jamieson (Lobb type without the massive contract) so I'd be keeping him with that role in mind (develop both his forward and ruck craft, they both need work).

Jamieson feels more of a #1, halve the hitouts, compete around the ground follower ruck as his best position. We need a #1 ruck to replace NN so need to make a judgement call - if we find a Meek type and think that's a better option then delist Jamo. Or we don't and commit to backing him in to handle the ruck himself in 2024 (2023 you'd hope Nic would play more and we're unlikely to be competing anyway so ok with being shallow in rucks if it comes to that).

I'd lean towards the second option, reckon a lot of his deficiencies could be ironed with 2 more preseasons in the gym and have been surprised by his competitiveness.

Either way a Broadbent won't be ready till a few years after being drafted at the earliest, at which point you'd love if he'd force out one of the above two. Don't really see Strnadica making it at AFL level and priority next year has to be time into Williams/Jamo working around NN so think he'd be the one to get replaced by a Broadbent draftee and leave it at that
I actually think Broadbent is the one of a select few draftee ruckman who could play straight away, he already tips the scales at over 100kg. He beat a VFL ruckman who was 112kgs in the Academy game, it's his tank that needs work so he couldn't do a full game yet.
However if he was paired with NN, he could do the 40% that Nic doesn't do in the ruck and he's handy forward.
A bit like Luke Jackson has been doing with Gawn, totally different ruckmen but you could apply the same 60/40% split.

On the other rucks, I'd cut Strnadica. He was good around the ground, but in the taps was slaughtered from the games I saw. At least Jamieson halves the ruck and has good follow up.
B.Williams wins taps, but can go missing in game. He hasn't really developed that part of his game, as that is exactly what he was like in his draft year.
J.Williams I think will be the most promising Fwd/Ruck. He came from a basketball background and has a really good tank, agility but he just needs a few years to add the size.
So I'd keep Bailey and Jamieson for now, or if we want to save some $$'s I'd keep Strnadica on his rookie contract and see if we could get some trade value for Bailey who's contract would be $100-150k higher.

I love how everyone wants to trade and cut ruckmen after a season where we got down to bare bones, and our injury-prone, superstar number 1 is 32 years old. I mean, I know it's a thing to trade away our ruck depth, but Nic's not going to last forever, and he's only played every game in a season twice (2010, and 2021).

He's going to miss games. We need coverage. Admittedly we may not have the best right now, but without selling the farm we're unlikely to get there. The club hasn't been too accurate of recent on the whole timing of the farm selling either.

Just the way i see it is Jamieson has a way higher ceiling as a player but williams will have potential trade currency. He's has been on my trade list before. If thats the case i'd still get rid of both and Keep Strnadica. We need someone who can be backup to Nic for injuries.
Despite his willingness to compete I find it hard to see Jamieson ever becoming an AFL ruckman of any substance due to his physical limitations. As I see it he is slaughtered in ruck contests and the team immediately loses the initiative.

Last edited:
Strn isnt really cut for AFL level.
Wouldn't we be better to cut and draft Free as suggest by Uncle Mon?

Just a slight correction if I may:

I said let’s monitor the development of FREE and see how he progresses.
While at the same time assess every other AFL , VFL and SANFL Clubs stocks for a susplus to requirement and or emerging ruck.
Perfect world we land a player of Meek quality who would initially be a perfect side kick to NN, with the possibility of assuming the number 1 spot in the future.

Needless to say it’s a very important next 8 games for the list futures, of both Williams and Jamieson.

What I'd like to see with Jamieson is one more season, but with a set up to succeed.

How would I do this? I would basically mothball him for the rest of the season. Give him 4 weeks off now. Then I'd locate Darksharks, and make him work with Jamo for 45 minutes per day for 6 weeks. Then give him the normal break followed by the normal pre-season. See if a little bit more bulk helps him win more contests in the ruck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back