List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. Other Assorted Crap. 2020 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaff is our premier trade asset and we need to get as many highly talent WA kids back into the club as we can in the next 2 years. I'd try and get Georgiades from port in a 3 way trade with a North Melbourne. Port get North's first round pick, we get Georgiades and Norths second rounder. They've been chasing Gaffy for 2 years so they might shell out a first and second rounder.

Gaff is our premier trade asset and we need to get as many highly talent WA kids back into the club as we can in the next 2 years. I'd try and get Georgiades from port in a 3 way trade with a North Melbourne. Port get North's first round pick, we get Georgiades and Norths second rounder. They've been chasing Gaffy for 2 years so they might shell out a first and second rounder.
Why target a second/third tall type when we’ve got Allen, Waterman and Williams on the list? If Gaff (or any valuable trade asset) was to go it would have to be in search of a young mid.

I reckon we get out of this draft and try to get Deven Robertson on our list.

Hasn't played since round 1.

People think I'm crazy for it, but I reckon we should keep an eye on Nakia Cockatoo as well in case he is delisted. We should offer him an SPP spot.

Can't be worse than players like Nic Reid who have no chance of making a senior spot.

People think I'm crazy for it, but I reckon we should keep an eye on Nakia Cockatoo as well in case he is delisted. We should offer him an SPP spot.

Can't be worse than players like Nic Reid who have no chance of making a senior spot.
The way our forwardline is going I wouldnt say Reid is no chance.

Trade gaff ? Probably been our best mid this year .

We have our 2nd and 2 x 3rd rounders this year .
The afl will reduce list sizes so the mandatory 3 national draft picks will also be reduced.
I can't see us taking more than 2 picks

With all the academy and father sons we should be able to package up the 2 3rds for a late 2nd rounder .

The good thing about this draft is that there will be very little exposed form so these diamonds that usually get exposed towards the end of the year won't be .

This is the year where you could get some bargains towards the end of the draft and with the draft likely to be only 40-45 picks even better .

We also may be able to pick up a decent delisted free agent . Clubs will have to cut guys they normally wouldn't.

We have a lot of older players who could retire but also a lot of under 23s on our list .
Trading gaff at his peak after he has shown such loyalty and rejected that massive offer from north is a big no from me

There's no way Geelong would delist Cockatoo.
Scott really rates him.

A trade would be our best bet.

Trade gaff ? Probably been our best mid this year .
That's like being the prettiest Collingwood fan. He works the hardest but most of his possessions are fairly useless bombs/snaps across his body.

Would we actually lose anything from playing Kelly/Shuey in a more outside role, trading Gaff out and playing Redden/Sheed in the middle where they belong? I don't think so.

That's like being the prettiest Collingwood fan. He works the hardest but most of his possessions are fairly useless bombs/snaps across his body.

Would we actually lose anything from playing Kelly/Shuey in a more outside role, trading Gaff out and playing Redden/Sheed in the middle where they belong? I don't think so.
I don't rate Gaffs possessions at all. For the same reasons as you said. He works his ass off for sure but he's not damaging the opposition. That's why I'm suggesting trading him at 29 while hes still got value. Trading him at 30 at the end of next year is pointless. Besides I believe he has an opt out clause in his contract of some type.

Gaffy leaving would create a huge hole in our team.

On the other hand, we did win the flag without him.

Any compo pick this year would be a first rounder.

Given how our season is going so far, that pick would most likely be a top 10 pick.

It's beside the point anyway, by all accounts he is on the verge of activating the remaining 4 years on his contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I do get the opinion of many and understand where you are coming from,regarding Gaff and his hurt factor.

Gaff is the least of the teams problems, he is one of the few who actually gets the ball.

That said if the season keeps tracking, as it is now, then we may need to blow up the list, sooner rather than latter and trade in and draft for the future.

New fresh faces bring energy and daring to the game..... remember 2015 and 2018..... what a difference some of the kids made to the team.

IMO the Assistant Coaching group is the FIRST place to start with replacing and upgrading.
I have thought that we have ( In the Simmo era) always been short of coaching assistants to help Simpson.
Mitchell the exception to the rule.

And while we are at it .........our player development has been s**t for many years now, thats another department that is sub standard.
Pisses me off, no end, watching other young kids at Opposition Clubs develop, improve and come on over a four year window, whereas I swear to God, that at our Club,young players more often than not, regress after one or two years of promise.

Nelson, Ainsworth, Sheed, Duggan, Cole, Barrass to name but a few recent examples of player regression.

Oh ........... and don't even get me started on Rohan O'Brien :mad: and this recruiting teams inability to draft midfielders.

The guy I would love to get to the club is Kozy Pickett from the dees - has everything we need in spades.
Zurhaar is another I'd love.

* yes to both of these. Zurhaar in particular, has the game to go with the punchable head. Like a Toby Green, and if there is 1 massive shortcoming of this team it is kentiness- bloke has it in spades.

Oh ........... and don't even get me started on Rohan O'Brien :mad: and this recruiting teams inability to draft midfielders.

Agree. Our inability to draft mids is beyond "unlucky", we just can't get it right. Look at the types that the Dogs draft, they are the sorts we need. Even the kid they debuted a couple of weeks ago (Vandermer). Quick, classy, long raking kick. We have none of that sort and I dont think our current recruiters have ever nailed a good mid pick. There has to be a change as its crippling our club.

Agree. Our inability to draft mids is beyond "unlucky", we just can't get it right. Look at the types that the Dogs draft, they are the sorts we need. Even the kid they debuted a couple of weeks ago (Vandermer). Quick, classy, long raking kick. We have none of that sort and I dont think our current recruiters have ever nailed a good mid pick. There has to be a change as its crippling our club.
You’d think they would have made a bit of an inquiry about this after acknowledging they had midfield issues for so long during the mid-2010s.

Seems like the club has been happy to adopt the Freo-KPF model of trading in established players instead of drafting them.

Although I think it’s our development not drafting tbh - who’s to say someone like Foley wouldn’t be playing outside mid for another AFL team if we hadn’t have drafted him? We seem to push everyone onto a back flank

Last edited:
While I do get the opinion of many and understand where you are coming from,regarding Gaff and his hurt factor.

Gaff is the least of the teams problems, he is one of the few who actually gets the ball.

That said if the season keeps tracking, as it is now, then we may need to blow up the list, sooner rather than latter and trade in and draft for the future.

New fresh faces bring energy and daring to the game..... remember 2015 and 2018..... what a difference some of the kids made to the team.

IMO the Assistant Coaching group is the FIRST place to start with replacing and upgrading.
I have thought that we have ( In the Simmo era) always been short of coaching assistants to help Simpson.
Mitchell the exception to the rule.

And while we are at it .........our player development has been sh*t for many years now, thats another department that is sub standard.
Pisses me off, no end, watching other young kids at Opposition Clubs develop, improve and come on over a four year window, whereas I swear to God, that at our Club,young players more often than not, regress after one or two years of promise.

Nelson, Ainsworth, Sheed, Duggan, Cole, Barrass to name but a few recent examples of player regression.

I wonder if WC would consider Pyke back at the club as a mid assistant? I know he was a senior coach so it might be a massive step down but he did a good a job in that role in 2014/15. Becasue seriously Rosa as part of the mid coaching staff is just wtf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back