List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. Other Assorted Crap. 2020 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if WC would consider Pyke back at the club as a mid assistant? I know he was a senior coach so it might be a massive step down but he did a good a job in that role in 2014/15. Becasue seriously Rosa as part of the mid coaching staff is just wtf.
You would think it would be a step up from being a special comments guy for ABC radio.

I wonder if WC would consider Pyke back at the club as a mid assistant? I know he was a senior coach so it might be a massive step down but he did a good a job in that role in 2014/15. Becasue seriously Rosa as part of the mid coaching staff is just wtf.

Pyke has is not struggling for money and has alot of business interests. He'd only come back in some sort of high end capacity like footy director or similar.

Only took 4 rounds for us to start saying we screwed our list is with no picks due to Kelly :p

Look, we all know it's either flag or bust with that trade.

I'm sure as time goes on people will try to move those goal posts and be like "Yeah nah" but it is what it is.

It's not the fact we're losing in 2020 which is the problem, it's the fact it appears our list is going to get really bad, really quickly.

So out of the 6 years Kelly is going to be here, we're going to need to pull a rabbit out of a hat to turn our list around from contending, to rebuilding, to contending again.

Only took 4 rounds for us to start saying we screwed our list is with no picks due to Kelly :p

I'm sure as time goes on people will try to move those goal posts and be like "Yeah nah" but it is what it is.

It's not the fact we're losing in 2020 which is the problem, it's the fact it appears our list is going to get really bad, really quickly.

So out of the 6 years Kelly is going to be here, we're going to need to pull a rabbit out of a hat to turn our list around from contending, to rebuilding, to contending again.

Dark Sharks I don’t think the picture is quite that bleak, I do agree that we will need to slip back in the pack some, however I don’t think we will plummet to spoon contention.

I think we have a good solid core of players on the list to take through in the next five / six years. Our KPP stocks are not that bad: Barrass, Gov, Oscar, JD and provided he can stay healthy I like what I have seen from Edwards.

What we need to do is retire the following Kennedy, Hurn, Schofield, Hutchings, Redden and Jetta over the next two seasons. This will not only free up list spots but also a chunk of salary cap.
Now this won’t be a popular opinion but Nic Nat has only two years left in him and his retirement will also free up considerable cap.
We need to be planning NOW for life beyond the Flying Fijian. Vardy and Hickey are not part of this conversation either.
Williams is a very good Ruck prospect ( we do need another youngster to come through and will be interesting to see who this is ).

In regards to the mother load of picks that we have up for Kelly, that will * our ability to restock as quick as we would like through the draft.
The Kelly situation is severely compounded by the recruiters inability to have added some genuine midfield depth to our list over the past five years with midfield busts like Anus, Partington and Foley. We have simple had too many swings and misses in the midfield category.

That said things can change very quickly in football and some astute list management can accelerate our rise and re-contend for the ultimate prize.

There are three things we could / can do to assist the good core of players that we already have to bolster our list depth in the next four years.

1. Successfully pick up an Unrestricted Free Agent, preferably a quality mid.... yes Patrick Cripps I am looking at you.

2. Draft a mature player from the next tier like Fremantle did with Barlow, Hawthorn did with Isaac Smith North did with Ben Brown.

3. Trade in an ex Western Australian who is not able to crack into another AFL side or wants to come home.
They don’t have to be super stars just starting 22. Keep a close on on guys like Rivers, Ruscoe, Zurhar, Robinson, Sharpe to name but a few.

And at the same time go to the draft and keep plugging away and accumulating talent.

Now I acknowledge that he is only one player but, the plight of Willie Rioli is a crucial piece to the jigsaw puzzle.
As he is exactly what we are missing at the moment, as he is super creative when the ball hits the ground in the forward line, PLUS the bonus is that he is capable of explosive bursts through the midfield.
When ASADA finally get off their arses and hand down a ruling that will be a telling moment.

So while I do get your concerns I don’t think the situation is as bad as your think.

Footnote: The Club needs to drastically improve its drafting and player development, that would go a long way to expediting our improvement in the next half dozen years.

Last edited:
Need to prioritise one touch players that naturally attack the footy and/or the bloke with the footy. Our coaches are clearly not going to instil that mentality into them, so we need it to be instinctive.

So sick of watching our guys either fumble the ball or hang back waiting for someone to give it to them, then stick out an arm to make it look like they tried to apply a tackle when the opposition runs away with it

Need to prioritise one touch players that naturally attack the footy and/or the bloke with the footy. Our coaches are clearly not going to instil that mentality into them, so we need it to be instinctive.

So sick of watching our guys either fumble the ball or hang back waiting for someone to give it to them, then stick out an arm to make it look like they tried to apply a tackle when the opposition runs away with it

Kelly had this in spades at Geelong....

Not sure why not now..

I reckon we get out of this draft and try to get Deven Robertson on our list.

Hasn't played since round 1.

People think I'm crazy for it, but I reckon we should keep an eye on Nakia Cockatoo as well in case he is delisted. We should offer him an SPP spot.

Can't be worse than players like Nic Reid who have no chance of making a senior spot.

Robertson and Rivers are the two to focus on.

Narkle at the Cats is another gettable type.....gee they threw him to the wolves against Cripps in the Carlton game.

And Blakey at Freo is on the outer ATM!

Imagine how absolutely screwed our midfield would be without Kelly. Shuey and Redden are both 30 this year and likely only have 2-3 seasons left at best. Without Kelly, it would only leave Gaff and Yeo as talented mids on our list.

Kyron Hayden is another that has what we need a bit of head over ball toughness... Was under our noses and Roos got him with pick 62. We picked up Ainsworth and a basketballer .....
Word is you have his brother in your NGA All 6'5 of him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only took 4 rounds for us to start saying we screwed our list is with no picks due to Kelly

instead of Kelly being that last piece of the puzzle he has become the guy we build our next group around.

He'll do a Wirra and Lecca and play his last game in our next flag in 7 years time

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Imagine how absolutely screwed our midfield would be without Kelly. Shuey and Redden are both 30 this year and likely only have 2-3 seasons left at best. Without Kelly, it would only leave Gaff and Yeo as talented mids on our list.

instead of Kelly being that last piece of the puzzle he has become the guy we build our next group around.

He'll do a Wirra and Lecca and play his last game in our next flag in 7 years time

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

It will be interesting to see how the club handles the next wave after JK, Hurn and Jetta make way (possibly at the end of 2020)

And then following exit of of Shuey, Redden, Sheppard and Nicnat after that (Guessing 2022/23)

Do they go full rebuild and concede Kelly will play mentor to the next group of young mids, or keep trying to plug holes with top ups and free agents like Monocle has suggested to eke a flag out of his contract. Probably the latter.

I never really consider the salary cap when it comes to our list, as it's all just guess work to me, but there's no reason why we wouldn't be in a healthy position post retirement of some of these players. Just like any other club.

It will be interesting to see how the club handles the next wave after JK, Hurn and Jetta make way (possibly at the end of 2020)

And then following exit of of Shuey, Redden, Sheppard and Nicnat after that (Guessing 2022/23)

Do they go full rebuild and concede Kelly will play mentor to the next group of young mids, or keep trying to plug holes with top ups and free agents like Monocle has suggested to eke a flag out of his contract. Probably the latter.

I never really consider the salary cap when it comes to our list, as it's all just guess work to me, but there's no reason why we wouldn't be in a healthy position post retirement of some of these players. Just like any other club.

JK, Hurn and Jetta we already have replacements in the system ready to go.

Allen, Rotham and Watson.

Shuey, Nic, Redden and Sheppard not so much however we should get two more seasons out of Nic and 2-4 from Shuey, Sheppard and Redden if they are travelling ok.

We won't be bottoming out with our list, we may miss finals a year or two but we won't be finishing bottom four any time soon.

Best thing to happen this season is list and cap reductions come into play the next two seasons. Then you will see some unlucky fringe players let go.

JK, Hurn and Jetta we already have replacements in the system ready to go.

Allen, Rotham and Watson.

Shuey, Nic, Redden and Sheppard not so much however we should get two more seasons out of Nic and 2-4 from Shuey, Sheppard and Redden if they are travelling ok.

We won't be bottoming out with our list, we may miss finals a year or two but we won't be finishing bottom four any time soon.

Best thing to happen this season is list and cap reductions come into play the next two seasons. Then you will see some unlucky fringe players let go.

Oscar :whitecheck:

Watson :question:

Rotham :question:

Other than being on our list, they are hardly "ready to go replacements". Allen excluded.

We barely even know if Watson and Rotham are AFL standard. It's not like they dominate the WAFL or are/were consistently in the Beagles best players.

Oscar :whitecheck:

Watson :question:

Rotham :question:

Other than being on our list, they are hardly "ready to go replacements". Allen excluded.

We barely even know if Watson and Rotham are AFL standard. It's not like they dominate the WAFL or are/were consistently in the Beagles best players.

The reality is we aren't drafting an 18 year old to replace them, we did that years ago.

If it makes you feel better Duggan replaces Hurn, Sheppard replaces Jetta and then Watson replaces Duggan and Rotham replaces Sheppard.

The point is we draft and develop replacements for key players years before they retire. You trade in needs if you can.

2013/2014 we handled players like Kerr, Cox, Embly and Selwood well enough and then did the same in 2017 with Priddis, Mitchell, Buter, Wellingham well too so i have confidence we can refresh quickly.

I think Shuey has a longer playing career ahead of him once we have adequate replacements for his midfield role, as I can see him transitioning into a very crafty and damaging small forward that crumbs the packs and swoops on the front and square ball on the ground.
He has always been a burst players and there is nothing to suggest that he will loose his quickness.
If he plays as a small forward he won’t have the s**t beaten out of him as he cops now in the midfield, therefore extending his career.
He would be a difficult match up for opposing teams as he is so nippy across the ground and is as cunning as a shithouse rat around goals.

Just my two cents worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back