List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. Other Assorted Crap. 2020 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had the same thoughts about Daw.

Nice to get a KP back who could ruck.

He can also play forward.

All depends on his fitness coming back from 'that fall'.

And will a club risk a spot on a player with off field issues that led to jumping off a bridge.

No way WC would risk it - we are generally pretty risk-averse.

But a player like Daw would be perfectly suitable (medical report would of course be required) - preferably on the rookie list.

We all know Nic's injury history - and hopefully he can have a good run at it now - but we essentially carry 2 extra ruckmen (and then 2 developing ruckmen, and then also play OA out of position as a ruckman) 'just in case'. It's not the reason that our midfield depth is so poor - but it can't help (it's quite possible we have 3-4 less mid's on our list than other teams - and even if the strike rate of a B-/C+ grade player is 25% we could well be missing out on them).

Hickey for a pick upgrade would be fine (He's been really good when called on, but if he can get opportunity elsewhere and also net us an improved draft hand I think that is a win for both parties). Vardy shouldn't be required. His form has been down and he is getting injured again. It's rough luck but seems to be the story of his career.

Williams can hopefully step up to be the #2 ruck (on the list, possibly in the side also depending on what they want to do with OA). Jamieson can hopefully bulk up this preseason and become a 'in case of emergency' ruckman for us. Then a 'plug and play' ruckman like Daw who we could SSP onto the rookie list would be ideal. It's still possibly one too many, but the age profile probably dictates that we need a 4th ruck (but preferably on the rookie list and rookie wages as we may be able to target some solid depth players if we free up $250-400k from our current list).

Draft is crucial, and I always back in our club to give the best chance to draftees to thrive. Our culture (exception for mid 2000's) is exceptional, so we normally get the best out of draftees, when other clubs haven't had this culture and players have been left undeveloped. Melbourne is a classic example, so many good players were drafted there and then left to rot.

In comparison we've had a lot of mid level draft picks that have gone on to be better players then top 10 picks from other clubs, all about development of those players. Even Yeo and Cripps who we traded for, came when they were really young so their development has come from West Coast rather than their previous clubs. It would be interesting to see how good they'd be if they were still at their former club, I'm backing neither would be nowhere near as good as they are now.

Most of our recent draft duds, have been later picks and I'd argue they were developed to their utmost potential but just not AFL quality.
We need to keep having a nice balance of draft vs trading, both are valuable but one more expensive than the other and doesn't always have instant impact EG: Redden, Jetta and Kelly.

Do we even want to be late into the 1st round in a compromised draft?

Shuffle our picks around to clubs chasing points, sure, add in our future third, sure... but i'd rather chase value from other clubs.

Would prefer a Fiorini or Clark type, than drafting a midfielder in the 20's that we, true to form, fail to develop properly. Then blame the fact it's a late pick.
Absolutely. Remove the gamble and take the quality, proven player.

In saying that, I really do feel like there's value in this years draft if we went to it. Winder looks really good, Trew could be around for us.

The 2017 trade with the Suns doesn't get spoken about often.

We got: 21, 26 and 37, as well as their 2018 second-round pick
Suns got: Our 2018 first which was pick 20.

That balances the Kelly trade lol, we got Allen and Ryan two 200+ gamers, and Ainsworth lol

Stefan Martin looks cooked to me.
stefanmartin.png

I saw ainsworth on the coffee run yesty morning. He needs to put on some serious size. I almost ran through him just standing in the line.

The kid is a walking skinny flat white. A big offseason on the beers and a big pre season on the squat racks should help him out.

I saw ainsworth on the coffee run yesty morning. He needs to put on some serious size. I almost ran through him just standing in the line.

The kid is a walking skinny flat white. A big offseason on the beers and a big pre season on the squat racks should help him out.
Why didnt you tell him that

Well said mate, two years in a row we didn't stand up when needed, the players believe too much of their own press. They are not that good in reality and our continued falling over backs that up.

Haven't you noticed this is exactly how our players roll.

They start believing all the positive BS and accolades the media and fans say about them and they seem to slack off. It is like they are thinking "wow we are so good we don't need to play as a team nor do the basic 1 %ers". The players sit back and wait for 'one of the stars' to step up.

THEN when the media call us pansies, or falling off the cliff, or we lose a few key players and the media right us off THEN for some reason the squad knuckles down and we start performing.

This is all above the shoulders stuff. If you asked Simo he would brush it aside as nonsense but the proof is there to see. I can now predict when we will lose games we should win based on how cocky we act.

We need to find ways of being much more consistent with our mental application.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL players are smaller than people imagine. There's a lot of running in the game so you usually can't be a bull.

I remember seeing Zac Clark at uni once and he was a twig. I also once ran into Jack Redden and he's not huge either.

AFL players are smaller than people imagine. There's a lot of running in the game so you usually can't be a bull.

I remember seeing Zac Clark at uni once and he was a twig. I also once ran into Jack Redden and he's not huge either.
Yeah, they look bigger on TV than in person.

No way WC would risk it - we are generally pretty risk-averse.

But a player like Daw would be perfectly suitable (medical report would of course be required) - preferably on the rookie list.

We all know Nic's injury history - and hopefully he can have a good run at it now - but we essentially carry 2 extra ruckmen (and then 2 developing ruckmen, and then also play OA out of position as a ruckman) 'just in case'. It's not the reason that our midfield depth is so poor - but it can't help (it's quite possible we have 3-4 less mid's on our list than other teams - and even if the strike rate of a B-/C+ grade player is 25% we could well be missing out on them).

Hickey for a pick upgrade would be fine (He's been really good when called on, but if he can get opportunity elsewhere and also net us an improved draft hand I think that is a win for both parties). Vardy shouldn't be required. His form has been down and he is getting injured again. It's rough luck but seems to be the story of his career.

Williams can hopefully step up to be the #2 ruck (on the list, possibly in the side also depending on what they want to do with OA). Jamieson can hopefully bulk up this preseason and become a 'in case of emergency' ruckman for us. Then a 'plug and play' ruckman like Daw who we could SSP onto the rookie list would be ideal. It's still possibly one too many, but the age profile probably dictates that we need a 4th ruck (but preferably on the rookie list and rookie wages as we may be able to target some solid depth players if we free up $250-400k from our current list).

I agree, the Eagles wont risk the bad press.

This is why I'm keen on Ben Miller, three years at Richmond, ex Kalgoorlie ruck but listed at his draft height of 195 cm. Has been delveloping as a KP back but is a pretty handy ruck. Rucked for the WA U18's when drafted. Rep as being a tough kid, playing ruck in the Gold Fields league will do that.

He is out of contract, yet to debut and would not cost us much at all. Would be ready to go 2021 as a good backup ruck / defender.

We lose Hickey and get Miller we have a long term prospect as backup not a stop gap.

They start believing all the positive BS and accolades the media and fans say about them and they seem to slack off. It is like they are thinking "wow we are so good we don't need to play as a team nor do the basic 1 %ers". The players sit back and wait for 'one of the stars' to step up.

THEN when the media call us pansies, or falling off the cliff, or we lose a few key players and the media right us off THEN for some reason the squad knuckles down and we start performing.

This is all above the shoulders stuff. If you asked Simo he would brush it aside as nonsense but the proof is there to see. I can now predict when we will lose games we should win based on how cocky we act.

Listening to Schofield and Allen’s podcast, they’re pretty consistent about concerning themselves with internal goals and expectations and not worrying about external ones. Of course, it’s one thing to say that but another to do it.

Another thing they’ve talked about is the work Nicoski has done on mindfulness and resilience and how they couldn’t have won the 2018 flag without it. Maybe they need a bit of a refresher in that area.

Yeah, I had a joke with my friends that 3 of the 4 players we had the in AA squad didn't play in the flag team, which may say something about the rest of the team.

It is like Ainsworth has lost size during his time in the AFL system.

FWIW (as someone who knows Brayden), he had a finger injury which lingered for a long time and was an unfortunate one that basically meant he was unable to lift weights for a pretty prolonged period of the offseason (ie when you should be hitting it hard) which certainly hurt his ability to add weight, as all he was doing was running.

I agree with you but both those lads are poor examples. Clarke is very lanky and redden is skinny that they joke about him not being able to put on muscle. In context, I think Shuey weighs a lot more than him even tho boots is a lot shorter than he is.

Do we even want to be late into the 1st round in a compromised draft?

Shuffle our picks around to clubs chasing points, sure, add in our future third, sure... but i'd rather chase value from other clubs.

Would prefer a Fiorini or Clark type, than drafting a midfielder in the 20's that we, true to form, fail to develop properly. Then blame the fact it's a late pick.

Go and do some research on the kids not linked to NGA / FS bids. Remember the NGA and FS don't go for free, they still use a pick.

There are some nice mids that will be around that end of 1st round which will stretch to pick 25ish.

I'm talking about Jack Carrol (around pick 20), Sam Berry, Jake Bowey, Shannon Neale if we want another project ruck, Caleb Poulter sounds a really good fit for us, Bailey Laurie and Zane Trew from Swan Districts is rated around 25.

There will be some decent quality around 20>25.,...30.

Well written mate and spot on, a majority of the time I can predict how we will perform as we are so up and down. The slightest thing goes wrong during the week and you can almost pencil in a loss especially away from home.
Since we started in the VFL in 1987 we have had some great lists who have performed well in particular years and we have won a flag, that with those lists however that we have never gone back to back tells me something that they read their own press to much.
We have had tough coaches and that has not helped so it is simply between the head stuff at our club.
I have no idea how that will change so no matter what list we have I expect the same inconsistent performances to continue.

I agree with you but both those lads are poor examples. Clarke is very lanky and redden is skinny that they joke about him not being able to put on muscle. In context, I think Shuey weighs a lot more than him even tho boots is a lot shorter than he is.

I didn't know that about Redden. I thought he was considered a unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back