List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. Other Assorted Crap. 2020 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have much preferred that the Club kept the final list spot open at this stage and reassess the situation before the mid season draft.

That would have given the Club the option of drafting some kid that has come on leaps and bounds or from oblivion in a lower competition.

Now we wait and see which player that Richmond snaps after they have patiently waited to see how the season progresses before filling their final spot.

Sydney Stack ................ Marlion Pickett .......... patience has been both rewarding and fruitful for the list managers at Punt Road.

My biggest issue with the selection is the timing of it ............ we are now out of the race to add an inform rising talent mid season.

If Grey was the best option mid season then so be it , I just scratch my head at our timing .... its not like Grey was going anywhere and it was strike now or miss out.
I know what you're saying, and our recruiting team have made some doozies. I wouldn't use Sydney Stack as an example, as we were never in the running to pick him. He wouldn't be having the impact with us , as he is with the tigers , going from all reports.
There is obviously a reason behind adding Grey and we may not think it is the right one. Yes we could miss out on someone, but hey, I'm happy as we will win our 5th flag this year.

I would have much preferred that the Club kept the final list spot open at this stage and reassess the situation before the mid season draft.

That would have given the Club the option of drafting some kid that has come on leaps and bounds, or from oblivion, in a lower competition.

Now we wait and see which player that Richmond snaps up after they have patiently waited to see how the season progresses before filling their final spot.

Sydney Stack ................ Marlion Pickett .......... patience has been both rewarding and fruitful for the list managers at Punt Road.

My biggest issue with the selection is the timing of it ............ we are now out of the race to add an inform rising talent mid season.

If Grey was the best option mid season then so be it , I just scratch my head at our timing.
It's not like Grey was going anywhere and it was strike now, or miss out.

The timing or decision to fill the vacant list spot in February suggests to me that Wce are happy with the playing list and the depth waiting in the wings ..
Brayshaw,AhChee , Moneilly and Treacy has a strong Rookie list feel to it and maybe in future years we may be forced to use the Midseason draft but this year there is very little demand to use ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Personally, I would have liked us to throw a wider net/taken a less conservative approach to who we had train with us and, if no one jumped out as worthwhile, saved the final spot for mid-season. That said, of the players we had train with us, he is the most ready and likely to provide some depth if that is what they want, it gets him off the books for our WAFL team as the one (or whatever) premium player and can be easily cut.

All of that said, I am not convinced we use our rookie draft as well as we could and haven't for some time. I would think the purpose of the SPP is to either fill a need (maybe Grey is seen as some needed mature depth, but I don't see it) or to give a chance to a more speculative player that is either a late developer or highly skilled but maybe has lacked the professionalism to get drafted earlier and who they believe could flourish in a professional environment. Picking up average players who are not likely to be more than depth (unless there is a definite lack of depth on the list) seems pointless.

I know what you're saying, and our recruiting team have made some doozies. I wouldn't use Sydney Stack as an example, as we were never in the running to pick him. He wouldn't be having the impact with us , as he is with the tigers , going from all reports.
There is obviously a reason behind adding Grey and we may not think it is the right one. Yes we could miss out on someone, but hey, I'm happy as we will win our 5th flag this year.
Why would you say that?

Hope you're not going to trot out the "he needed to get out of WA" line.

It will be a list management type of decision. Gets Brady off the books for the Beagles. Hard trainer and a hard body at the WAFL level to keep the younger blokes aware of the effort required and stiffen up the mix so the kids don't get bullied out of it and have the chance to develop properly.

It's not exciting but it's probably a sound decision in the context that the 45th body is extremely unlikely to take the field at AFL level.

*insert plastic franchise sledge here*

We also signed Grey last season with the carrot of making it onto the main list if he reached certain kpi's. Maybe he reached them, others contending weren't good enough or got injured.

If we sign him even for a season at least other players will see we back up what we offer. With Willie out and an injury to a small forward or two we have a ready made hard body to call on.

The timing or decision to fill the vacant list spot in February suggests to me that Wce are happy with the playing list and the depth waiting in the wings ..
Brayshaw,AhChee , Moneilly and Treacy has a strong Rookie list feel to it and maybe in future years we may be forced to use the Midseason draft but this year there is very little demand to use ..

I also think the club, like most external onlookers, must be thinking that Rioli gets at least 13 months for his suspension (which rules him out for 2020 - potentially plus some, but at least 2020).

This would open up a spot in the mid-season draft if required (assuming his hearing is done prior, which surely it is... surely).

So take who they think is the best available or fit now, and then if there is a need mid-year they can go for a type that is required.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grey is the true definition of #whatsthepoint

I reckon we're clutching onto him playing for the Beagles and have thrown him a coaching role with our womans team and now a list spot.

Surely Sokol, given he actually kicks goals and is a forward would've been a better option. Grey is a nothing player. Just a grunt who tries to do too much.

I reckon we're clutching onto him playing for the Beagles and have thrown him a coaching role with our womans team and now a list spot.

Surely Sokol, given he actually kicks goals and is a forward would've been a better option. Grey is a nothing player. Just a grunt who tries to do too much.

Maybe he found where Fraser kept the photos hidden.

Apart from the fact he kicks goals, what attributes and detriments does Sokol have? Given no one has even given him a training spot after he won the Bernie Naylor, what is holding him back?

Apart from the fact he kicks goals, what attributes and detriments does Sokol have? Given no one has even given him a training spot after he won the Bernie Naylor, what is holding him back?

WCE recruiters are holding him back , amirite ..

"On Thursday an Eagles source said the club had not officially ruled out Pickett, who completed a prescribed training block after finishing up with the Blues midway through last season"

feel like this is a nice way of saying he’s a fat * who rocked up way too out of shape!

seriously did anyone see him run harder then 3/4 pace or do any serious training ?

That would have given the Club the option of drafting some kid that has come on leaps and bounds, or from oblivion, in a lower competition.

Now we wait and see which player that Richmond snaps up after they have patiently waited to see how the season progresses before filling their final spot.

If Grey was the best option mid season then so be it , I just scratch my head at our timing.
It's not like Grey was going anywhere and it was strike now, or miss out.

yeah it’s a completely vanilla move!
west coast are a great club, but make some average choices some times.

we get that it’s the 45th list on the spot, but when there are better options out there it’s a complete waste!
we are in the business of premierships here, not rewarding guys who
Work hard. Think west coast officials forget this sometimes.

complete head scratcher

feel like this is a nice way of saying he’s a fat fu** who rocked up way too out of shape!

seriously did anyone see him run harder then 3/4 pace or do any serious training ?
They might have just used him as bait to lure knobheads out into the open, who knows?

Why would you say that?

Hope you're not going to trot out the "he needed to get out of WA" line.
That is exactly what I was going to say. You can't ignore it all. Plus being close to all the problems would have brought a bad culture to the club that they would not have wanted.
You can say its all crap and we should have backed ourselves in to turn him around, but the club and recruiters are the ones that make the decisions and they made the right one in my opinion. Same reason they didn't chase Harley Bennell.
It would have been a high probability we wouldn't have picked him to play in the seniors too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back