List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. Other Assorted Crap. 2020 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Venables - whilst this was entirely expected, it is still sad.

To me, he was developing nicely. I saw him on the Brad Sheppard trajectory. No Juddesque rip it apart games, but a solid body of work, and most importantly, improvement week to week.
At worst he was looking like he would carve out a solid career without being spectacular, but if the improvement continued, could have grown into a 10 year 200 game, reliable, B+ to A- type. And if you can fill your team with these types you will win a lot more than you lose.

Really hope he recovers and doesn't suffer long term. Mixed feelings about seeing him play again, even if the doctors clear him.

So the indication is they would pick him up in the SPP if his health improves, how does that work with his wages? I guess the club pays him nothing and he gets a job?

Venables oozed potential. He was a one-touch player with manic attack on the footy, great athleticism and a developing skillset. Also a decent sized frame that would have filled out nicely. Who are these numpties writing off his potential after 21 games? Absolute clowns.

That collision was atrocious, one of the worst in AFL history, and I've seen a mate die on the field before at amateurs from something much more inconspicuous. His health is top priority.

No one f****** asked you!

tenor.gif

Missed most of his development years due to injury, had huge athletic upside, couldnt find enough of the ball at any level from age 15 onwards. (never had 30 disposals in a match at any level from age 15 onwards, i'd have to do a lot of checking but may not have cracked 25)

A huge waste of talent but thats why he went at our pick rather than at pick 2 like taranto (athletically and style wise they were very similar juniors). Sad story for him hopefully he isn't left with lasting concussion effects and he has a premiership medal from his epic contribution of 4 disposals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why am I a troll?

Claiming Daniel wasn’t performing to the standard of a high draft pick is an insulting comment. What exactly is the standard of a high draft pick exaclty?

When we drafted Daniel he was coming off an injury riddled season yet we took the chance to draft him due to potential upside.

He then got the illustrious position of the HFF within a team vying for finals and an eventual premiership. His role was to accompany, not to shine and to develop into a larger role as his career progressed.

You assume incorrectly that every “high” draft pick is to perform instantly or at the least to a higher level than Daniel did/was.

Josh Kennedy did very little at Carlton and his first few seasons with us but flourished into the best forward West Coast has ever had.

Brad Shepperd “underperformed” early in his career and has also developed into one of the most reliable defenders we have seen.

Duggan didn’t develop the way we hoped early on in the midfield but given time and games became a very good back man and now appears ready to go back to the middle.

All were “high” picks and going by your comments on poor Daniel, also wouldn’t have been “performing to the standards of a high draft pick” either.

Look at them all now.

For every Chris Judd there are multiple Kennedys, Shepperds and Duggans. Players take time to develops regardless of where they are picked.

Daniel showed more than enough and was progressing well in a very strong squad, losing him is a big loss due to his age profile and the potential of what he may have been given the time to flourish as all those above were given.

So when you ask me why I think you are a troll I say either you are poorly informed at best or at worst looking to solicit a response with berating a kid who may have potentially have had his career cut short with long loading health ramifications.

He deserved better than that if you ask me.

Last edited:
All the best DV you were a great team first player who always was reliable to perform his role.

How some of you guys can give him stick is a joke. Since he has been out look how crap our forward line pressure has been and how easily the ball gets ushered out of the opposition's defence.

The kid played a very important selfless role one which spuds like Petch and Ah Chee clearly couldn't do and also had very good clean disposal.

Hopefully he can live a normal life and not have too many lingering effects from the hit.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back