List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. Other Assorted Crap. 2020 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were examples of non conservative picks that Bond gave. I just thought they were predominantly stupid risks, was my point.

I don’t think we are overly conservative, it’s just with 20/20 hindsight we have made some shitty choices and been conservative when we could have taken something with more upside but greater risk. Particularly with later and rookie picks, when you should be doing this.

An example that I think is a good risk was Treacy this year over guys like Bolton. It hasn’t worked out but was worth taking someone younger with more upside than solid proven quality but lower ceiling.

Unfortunately posters operate in the hindsight space where recruiters don't have that luxury.

It's also apparent that most posters like to comment about when WC recruiters get it wrong ( which to be fair is about the same amount as most clubs) but rarely advise when they (as amateur recruiters) get it wrong.

Sigh - such is life

Conservative like taking Gorter, Petrie and McInnes in the 2016 rookie draft rather than Tim Kelly.
Just saying.

Plenty of examples like this - Lewis Jetta a few years before is the same.
But let's look when Weedon & Stevens were taken before a very safe & dare I say conservative/bland/vanilla Duncan.
So hindsight showed going the non-conservative path that year was plain & simply wrong.

I think this year will see a slight bias towards WA, SA, NSW/QLD talent as they're the only ones that have been able to showcase their development in the past 12 months. Vic talent will have 12 to 15 names that will come off the board in the first few rounds as they're the names that have dominated all the way through junior ranks.
It's the late bloomers who will be the steals in this draft, especially Vic talent we haven't seen bloom yet.
I think it will be hard to get half decent WA talent this year with our current picks, as recruiters would've watched these guys a lot this year and likely opt for them first.

Good news is we have strong recruiting team here in Vic and believe they've spent a fair bit of time watching this years Vic draft pool in previous years! Other clubs might not have seen as much.

I wonder if freo will strongly consider trading hogan... they could work their way into the top end of the draft and potentially snag Logan McDonald which would be ideal for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No - not me

Any interest by us regarding Cockatoo or Narkle?

Have been saying Cockatoo needs to move somewhere warmer to get over those soft tissue injuries and get going. Stuff rehabbing and training in freezing Geelong.

Both would fit into what picks we will likely have and the squad salary cap constraints.

Any interest by us regarding Cockatoo or Narkle?

Have been saying Cockatoo needs to move somewhere warmer to get over those soft tissue injuries and get going. Stuff rehabbing and training in freezing Geelong.

Both would fit into what picks we will likely have and the squad salary cap constraints.

Lions are into him and will offer him a 2 year deal.

That was the HS this morning.

Lions are into him and will offer him a 2 year deal.

That was the HS this morning.

That's why I asked.

Sounds like he is moving.

Just watch all the players who will want to move to either Brisbane and Gold Coast this trade period. Both teams are on the brink of some exciting years challenging. And this covid thing won't be done and dusted by next season so they will just move to Gill's QLD hub permanently.

Just wonder if Kelly has had a word. Cockatoo would be very nice in the pressure forward role......if we could get him fit.

That's why I asked.

Sounds like he is moving.

Just watch all the players who will want to move to either Brisbane and Gold Coast this trade period. Both teams are on the brink of some exciting years challenging. And this covid thing won't be done and dusted by next season so they will just move to Gill's QLD hub permanently.

Just wonder if Kelly has had a word. Cockatoo would be very nice in the pressure forward role......if we could get him fit.
He is from FNQ and has family in Brisbane - not much hope for us I suspect.

All i know watching us play this year is we are dead short two classy half forwards.

With our draft and trade position, probably also salary cap position we are going to need to get creative. This either means younger guys who are yet to burst onto the scene and could be pried away with 3-4 year contracts or people with injury histories.

Like it or loathe it, without Nicnat firing we are a mid tier side. With our mids fully fit and with nic in place we are a top 4, potentially a top 2 side.

We are almost certainly without rioli for 1 more year. The top up players we've added are basically just that, top ups who at their absolute best are bottom 6 in a best 22. Even in topping up the list we probably have at most another 2-3 years of challenging before a more major rebuild.

All i know watching us play this year is we are dead short two classy half forwards.

With our draft and trade position, probably also salary cap position we are going to need to get creative. This either means younger guys who are yet to burst onto the scene and could be pried away with 3-4 year contracts or people with injury histories.

Like it or loathe it, without Nicnat firing we are a mid tier side. With our mids fully fit and with nic in place we are a top 4, potentially a top 2 side.

We are almost certainly without rioli for 1 more year. The top up players we've added are basically just that, top ups who at their absolute best are bottom 6 in a best 22. Even in topping up the list we probably have at most another 2-3 years of challenging before a more major rebuild.

Optimistic, but Jarrod Cameron fully over his OP can fill one of those two spots IMO

Tackles hard, and has shown he has good footy nous when he plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back