List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. Other Assorted Crap. 2020 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saad doesn't suit our game plan at all. He run and carries the football in slingshot fashion to spread defenders.

Essendon's game plan was built around him and Mckenna doing this. It's the only time they've looked remotely dangerous on a footy field.

Ours is retaining possession, finding short kicks and then eventually hitting up someone in the corridor if it's on. It requires good foot skills rather than someone who is fast. Even carrying Jetta as he gets older for his foot skills wouldn't be the worst idea IMO. He was the best kick in the AFL in 2018/19.

Whoever we bring into the team hopefully has a real bullet of a kick on them with some punch to it, not just someone who can kick it long, ala Ash Smith.

Saad doesn't suit our game plan at all. He run and carries the football in slingshot fashion to spread defenders.

Essendon's game plan was built around him and Mckenna doing this. It's the only time they've looked remotely dangerous on a footy field.

Ours is retaining possession, finding short kicks and then eventually hitting up someone in the corridor if it's on. It requires good foot skills rather than someone who is fast. Even carrying Jetta as he gets older for his foot skills wouldn't be the worst idea IMO. He was the best kick in the AFL in 2018/19.

Whoever we bring into the team hopefully has a real bullet of a kick on them with some punch to it, not just someone who can kick it long, ala Ash Smith.

Saad would make us really dangerous. Really good defensively, penetrating kick and takes the game on. We can still kick mark but having players that take the game on and are dual threats can be a real weapon. We really improved this year when Nelson and Duggan started to run to rebound not just kick.

For Saad, he’s at the point in his career where, does he want to stay in Melbourne? Or does is he looking for a flag. Those do intersect but if he’s looking for a flag, he should explore all options.

Saad would make us really dangerous. Really good defensively, penetrating kick and takes the game on. We can still kick mark but having players that take the game on and are dual threats can be a real weapon. We really improved this year when Nelson and Duggan started to run to rebound not just kick.

For Saad, he’s at the point in his career where, does he want to stay in Melbourne? Or does is he looking for a flag. Those do intersect but if he’s looking for a flag, he should explore all options.

The reason he is get table is he wants 5 years at 600K.

If we were thinking Saad was were we wanting to go with how we move the ball in the back half, surely we’d be considering giving Petrucelle opportunities to train with the back 6

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Whilst i agree that our number one cause of issue when watching the side play is lack of speed out of defence, what is it that people think a half forwards role actually is.

The half forward line's purest role is to present an option and link defence to attack. You put rioli and lecras back in the current line up and even without Hurn having a career best year I guarantee we would be cutting sides up again. It's not the kick out to 50m that is our problem, it's the creativity from that point.

Of the indigenous boys being mooted, i would be enquiring about Sydney Stack.

Sure the guy got into some trouble getting into a punch up after a night at the strippers, but let's be real: most of us have been there at some point in our lives

Guy has talent and this mistake, whilst huge in the context of the season, isn't a hangable offence

I'd take Saad in a heartbeat, his speed out of defence is something we could easily change up with. Go slow, hold and kick..short pass to Saad in the middle and bang its in our forward 50 in an instant.

That's the best case scenario.

I'm not a huge follower of Saad, but other than the odd run and gun goal off HB, from what I can recall his ball use is a bit suspect. He tends to bomb it with the intention of gaining metres, rather than hitting some up with a pass (just my perception, could be wrong).

Saad, and the game plan built around him was one the big reasons Essendon got beat so bad, so many times last year. He would move the ball so quickly that if it got turnover Essendon were exposed with an unset defense.

Johnson, bro.

John
son.

Of the indigenous boys being mooted, i would be enquiring about Sydney Stack.

Sure the guy got into some trouble getting into a punch up after a night at the strippers, but let's be real: most of us have been there at some point in our lives

Guy has talent and this mistake, whilst huge in the context of the season, isn't a hangable offence

Agree that Stack's biggest issue with his breach was that it was more a breach of trust.

Reality is most of the boys in an AFL club have had a few drinks and headed over to the rippers at some point.

Terrible judgment and decision making, more than an issue of poor character.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barking up the wrong tree .

Sheed is a WA boy and an eagles supporter before drafted . He knows they will look after him now and post football .

Interesting that patty cripps team mates didn't nominate him for aflpa MVP this year . Not in the top 3 for the club ?

Walsh Martin and weitering were nominated

Free agent soon ?

He may even have excluded himself from the votes as captain. The Blues can't continue improving if the young guys don't start passing the established players in the rankings.

P Cripps has had an average year, looks like one of his knees is turning to jelly. That's why if he does look to exercise his free agency status one day that is the only way we should get him.

I could see Cripps moving clubs half cooked at 27 or 28 and being totally cooked by 30.

Just like Nelson is one of the best kicks in the team?

I know Johnno can kick it long, doesn't mean he has a laser.

Johnson is smaller, quick, agile and has good foot skills. He will hopefully become the Eagles 'Calab Daniel' and provide that sort of drive from the back 50.

I will get smashed for saying it but if Yeo continues to struggle with OP / groin issues as he gets older he may need to return and spend time across the half back, simply because his body can't play a full time midfield role.

I don't have any real concerns over our half back options.

Does he stay in Melbourne?

Well he may not have a choice.

AFL today saying they are looking at pre season training hubs in QLD for you would presume Victorian teams.

This is great news for us IMO.

If you are in Victoria your world is being turned upside down, working away from home in hubs, when at home you can't do much, if your single no bars to go to etc.

Or you could move to another state without those problems.......since the AFL look like sending you to QLD anyway for preseason and lets be honest, likely for some part of 2021.

Johnson is smaller, quick, agile and has good foot skills. He will hopefully become the Eagles 'Calab Daniel' and provide that sort of drive from the back 50.

I will get smashed for saying it but if Yeo continues to struggle with OP / groin issues as he gets older he may need to return and spend time across the half back, simply because his body can't play a full time midfield role.

I don't have any real concerns over our half back options.

So Jetta and Hurns creativity and crucial attacking flare which won us the 2018 flag is going to be handled by a 65Kg pick 58 we haven't seen yet?

2 premiership players. A B2B All Australian defender, veteran games record holder, premiership captain, and another player touted the best kick in the AFL..... just replaced by Ben Johnson everyone.

Well s**t, just give us the 2021-2029 flags now then.

All the write ups seem to really bang on about his kicking which is good.

I'm suggesting we shouldn't put all our eggs in the Ben Johnson basket, that's all.

Either that or adjust our game plan to one which isn't so heavily reliant on what Hurn and Jetta used to do with the footy coming out of defense.

I feel like it wouldn’t be a bad thing to have just one who could break lines with run and carry. Don’t think Saad is the answer because of likely cost.. but seeing Ryan the other week tear straight up the middle opening things right up, imagine if there was a bloke whose job it was to do that every week. If we had that as an “out” when all our kicking options were covered it would add another dimension to our backline.

A younger quicker Jetta would actually be ideal with his kicking as well but as long as the dude is a competent kick I wouldn’t mind having a line breaker to change things up.

Maybe the answer is just giving our current guys a bit more license to run when our short kicking options are covered. There’s been a lot of moments where we take a mark on the defensive 50 under no pressure and just stand still. Nelson Duggan and Cole aren’t the quickest off the mark but if they hit a handball receive at pace they’re most than fine.

So Jetta and Hurns creativity and crucial attacking flare which won us the 2018 flag is going to be handled by a 65Kg pick 58 we haven't seen yet?

2 premiership players. A B2B All Australian defender, veteran games record holder, premiership captain, and another player touted the best kick in the AFL..... just replaced by Ben Johnson everyone.

Well sh*t, just give us the 2021-2029 flags now then.

LOL

No.......just no!

They are already covered by Rotham, Duggan, Nelson and Cole. Professional clubs don't wait until a player retires before they replace them. That's how some people on here think (or actually don't think).

Johnson won't play much next year, he and Foley are 2 - 3 years development away from grabbing a regular game. So they will be more of a Sheppard replacement when he hits 31+ and these kids hit 21 - 22.

LOL

No.......just no!

They are already covered by Rotham, Duggan, Nelson and Cole. Professional clubs don't wait until a player retires before they replace them. That's how some people on here think (or actually don't think).

Johnson won't play much next year, he and Foley are 2 - 3 years development away from grabbing a regular game. So they will be more of a Sheppard replacement when he hits 31+ and these kids hit 21 - 22.

And which one of these players even remotely demonstrates the offensive kicking skills of Jetta and Hurn?

I'm not saying "Oh gee we have no half backs", that's bullshit, we have plenty. But what half backs do we have that are creative and attacking by foot?

The discussion was originally about how much better our team looked in 2018, and how it was stemmed from our silky rebound from defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back